Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC - Page 65

post #961 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranv117 View Post

Question about the Magni. I've been using it with an AKG K550 with no noise whatsoever. I believe it's rated at 50ohms. But when I switch to my Sony 7506, which I believe has higher ohms specs, there's a ton of noise at low level volume as well as popping sounds at higher volumes. The same happens when I plug in my Sennheiser HD558... Can anyone help explaining this? Is there something wrong with my Magni?

I tend to switch headphones quite a bit so not sure if its an amp problem.

While I can't offer any sort of definite explanation, my Magni was dead quiet with all of my cans.

If you're using it with a surge protector I'd try plugging it straight into the wall. Other than that I haven't heard of any issues that result in noise unless it's coming from your source.
post #962 of 1353

I had the same issue when using M&M stack. I don't know whether if it is the problem of my PCs or M&M stack itself.

post #963 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinghui0711 View Post

I had the same issue when using M&M stack. I don't know whether if it is the problem of my PCs or M&M stack itself.

Did you end up resolving it somehow? Please let me know.

post #964 of 1353

Hey guys! which headphones sound good with the Magni+Modi combo? besides the LCD2? rolleyes.gif

post #965 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towwers View Post

Hey guys! which headphones sound good with the Magni+Modi combo? besides the LCD2? rolleyes.gif


The HD650s sound great with the M&M.

post #966 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towwers View Post

Hey guys! which headphones sound good with the Magni+Modi combo? besides the LCD2? rolleyes.gif

 

Was actually quite impressed with the Shure SRH840s out of the combo as well.

post #967 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post


The HD650s sound great with the M&M.

+1. The 650s with the M&M stack are wonderful.

post #968 of 1353

I have to say that I completely misjudged the Modi.  I had been slightly disappointed with the Modi for awhile now and found myself switching back to my onboard computer audio.  It was becoming very fatiguing and somewhat thin with some faint high frequency digital hash sound in the background.  

 

Well, just out of curiosity and boredom I decided to switch the generic usb cable I dug out of my closet with a slightly sturdier looking one from my printer and was quite suprised with the change.  Everything seemed to smooth out and the digital noise was gone.  I think the other USB cable was beginning to fray/degrade to the point of dropping excessive bits and maybe creating some kind of ground loop.

 

If anyone else has a particularly negative impression of the modi and using an old cable they had lying around, try buying a new one. (Generic or fancy if your into that)  Also, not trying to start a cable debate, just pointing out the checking of basic cable integrity and functioning.

 

That being said, I think the Modi is an absolute steal at it's price.

post #969 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post


The HD650s sound great with the M&M.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwelles View Post

+1. The 650s with the M&M stack are wonderful

 

Ordered the HD650 biggrin.gif

post #970 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towwers View Post

Ordered the HD650 biggrin.gif

 

An excellent choice!

post #971 of 1353

So finally my M&M combo arrived this morning in snowy Moscow.

I'm using it with AKG 550 at the moment and I must say that I can hear a clear positive difference vs ASUS DG installed in my PC. Can't tell though is the difference coming from an amplifier or DAC, but now bass is deeper and a bit more powerful (not a big boost but right to the extent which I was missing in AKG 550). Will see how things will change after some break-in period, hope there'll be more.

Definitely worth the price.

post #972 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

I have to say that I completely misjudged the Modi.  I had been slightly disappointed with the Modi for awhile now and found myself switching back to my onboard computer audio.  It was becoming very fatiguing and somewhat thin with some faint high frequency digital hash sound in the background.  

Well, just out of curiosity and boredom I decided to switch the generic usb cable I dug out of my closet with a slightly sturdier looking one from my printer and was quite suprised with the change.  Everything seemed to smooth out and the digital noise was gone.  I think the other USB cable was beginning to fray/degrade to the point of dropping excessive bits and maybe creating some kind of ground loop.

If anyone else has a particularly negative impression of the modi and using an old cable they had lying around, try buying a new one. (Generic or fancy if your into that)  Also, not trying to start a cable debate, just pointing out the checking of basic cable integrity and functioning.

That being said, I think the Modi is an absolute steal at it's price.

Using wiredworld ultraviolet USB, did not compare to generic cables
post #973 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcginc View Post


Using wiredworld ultraviolet USB, did not compare to generic cables

You should be fine then.  I've owned a Wireworld Starlight in the past and their build quality seems sturdier than most generic USB cables.  I've found that some generic USB cables are especially prone to early fraying/degradation.  I've had one for an external hard drive that would constantly drop the hard drive connection in the middle of transfers, quite annoying.


Edited by JWahl - 2/10/13 at 7:38pm
post #974 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longinius View Post

So finally my M&M combo arrived this morning in snowy Moscow.
I'm using it with AKG 550 at the moment and I must say that I can hear a clear positive difference vs ASUS DG installed in my PC. Can't tell though is the difference coming from an amplifier or DAC, but now bass is deeper and a bit more powerful (not a big boost but right to the extent which I was missing in AKG 550). Will see how things will change after some break-in period, hope there'll be more.
Definitely worth the price.
How long did that take from order to arrival? Did you order direct from Schiit?
post #975 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAudio View Post


How long did that take from order to arrival? Did you order direct from Schiit?

Yep, directly from Schiit.

Order was placed at Jan 20th, I believe, and arrived at Feb, 9th. But this is US to Russia, taking into account our local National Post "service" I must say that wasn't slow :)

 

I'm really pleased with quality after a weekend, devices looks cool, they're tiny (which means you can take 'em to the office or use with another laptop/PC) and assuming that Magni's performance is close to Asgard - combo provides a nice upgrade options (e.g. switch Modi to Bifrost).

 

While listening tracks like Downstream http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7UVfoXQT6w I can clearly distinguish between ASUS DG and M&M - the latter has definitely more bass and I think slightly better scene. Maybe that comes from Magni being able to add some volume (DG preamp wasn't loud enough with AKG K550 even on 100% of PC volume).

There's no reason I wouldn't reccomend M&M for someone who's, like me, new to the hobby. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC