New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SM64 To Replace SM3 - Page 5

post #61 of 261

Sounds like to me that the SM64 is a brighter version of the SM3 and might have better clarity.  If the highs can be harsh then I might just stick with my SM3 because I can't stand really bright highs, that's why I had to sale my Heir 3.Ai.  If they've lost that warm sound signature and forward mids of the SM3 then these just aren't for me.

post #62 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

Sounds like to me that the SM64 is a brighter version of the SM3 and might have better clarity.  If the highs can be harsh then I might just stick with my SM3 because I can't stand really bright highs, that's why I had to sale my Heir 3.Ai.  If they've lost that warm sound signature and forward mids of the SM3 then these just aren't for me.


That's why I really want to see a comparsion between the SM3 and the SM64. My original choice was the SM3 and I just changed my order to the SM64 because they announced them a day after I ordered the SM3...I really hope I havn't made a bad decision. The SM3 sounded just perfect to me after I read like 20 reviews of them.
Are you using an amp with the SM3?

And the highs may just be that bright to me, because I'm used to the TF10 sound signature.


Edited by Tom Yum Goong - 1/8/13 at 1:45pm
post #63 of 261
Ummm...TF10 has pretty bright, shimmery highs; its warm/bass-colored, sure, but not dark by any means. If the SM64 has more treble quantity than TF10, it must be bright. I'm wondering what you are calling "treble," though, if the TF10 is dark to you; perhaps the SM64 has more forward high mids.
post #64 of 261

To me the TF10, well at least the one I had didn't have what I'd call bright highs.  The highs where just a little brighter than the highs on the SM3, I'd say they where as bright as the e-Q5's highs.  I really think my TF10 sounded different from others because I didn't think the mids were recessed either.

post #65 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post


That's why I really want to see a comparsion between the SM3 and the SM64. My original choice was the SM3 and I just changed my order to the SM64 because they announced them a day after I ordered the SM3...I really hope I havn't made a bad decision. The SM3 sounded just perfect to me after I read like 20 reviews of them.
Are you using an amp with the SM3?

And the highs may just be that bright to me, because I'm used to the TF10 sound signature.

 

Yeah I just use a FiiO E11 and it opens them up more than if I play them through one of my DAP's alone.

 

If you like a warmer sound signature with a more mid forward sound then the SM3 would be a great choice.  I know some people say the sound veiled but to me they don't they're just warm with smooth, liquid mids and they have plenty of detail.

 

I'm sure the SM64 still sound great and after some more impressions I might still get a pair and if the highs are say as bright as the TF10 or GR07 and can handle that but if they're 3.Ai or T-Peos H-100 bright that's a bit to much for me.

post #66 of 261

It's not that the SM64 are generally bright. They are just more neutral and not as fun-sounding as the TF10 are. And the only thing that bucks me a bit with the highs, are the cymbals in most of the songs I'm listening to. They are a lot more present with the SM64 then with the TF10 and tend to be a bit too bright for my from time to time. I'm really not used to this. The rest of the highs are pretty sweet. Besides this small flaw, I really really like the Earsonics!

Oh and could the amp just need some "burn-in"?


Edited by Tom Yum Goong - 1/8/13 at 2:45pm
post #67 of 261

The SM3 has a more colored sound with the forward mids but I don't know if I'd call them a fun sounding IEM.  I think the TF10 had a more energetic sound than the SM3 which in turn could make them sound more fun but I love the SM3 for electronic music more so than the TF10 which was my go to IEM for EDM.  The SM3 sounds good with all types of music and they even sound really good with classical.

 

You might just need some more time with the SM64 to get used to the brighter sound but if after a month or so you still think the highs are a bit to harsh or that they don't have the fun sound your looking for you can always sale them and get something else and there will be plenty of people willing to buy them from you I'm sure.

post #68 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

You might just need some more time with the SM64 to get used to the brighter sound but if after a month or so you still think the highs are a bit to harsh or that they don't have the fun sound your looking for you can always sale them and get something else and there will be plenty of people willing to buy them from you I'm sure.


That is the exact thing I'm going to do. I really like them too much to sell them now just because of this minor "flaw" :P

Just a small question, because I can't find any info for the live of me:
How much do I have to turn up the volume of my J3? really really high and the volume of the amp pretty low, or a both a bit more balanced out?

post #69 of 261

I usually balance them out more, if I use my Cowon i10 I'll have the volume on between 20 and 25 and adjust my E11 accordingly but most of the time its on around 5 which is the middle.

post #70 of 261

I was over at EarSonics site and it turns out 399 euros isn't universal, only for the EU I assume, the price is 333 euros to Canada same likely for the US (changed after entering my address in checkout).  Still 39 euros for shipping, but a bit less...  I didn't order, but just so people know in case they were waiting for Sound Earphones to restock.

post #71 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftD1 View Post

I was over at EarSonics site and it turns out 399 euros isn't universal, only for the EU I assume, the price is 333 euros to Canada same likely for the US (changed after entering my address in checkout).  Still 39 euros for shipping, but a bit less...  I didn't order, but just so people know in case they were waiting for Sound Earphones to restock.

 

Well that converts to $435 which isn't that bad but 39 euros for shipping which is $50 is just crazy imo.

post #72 of 261

Yeah, it's UPS Express (only option available to me), but seems way too much for what is going to be a small, light box.

post #73 of 261

I'll wait for other vendors to get them where the price I believe will be more reasonable and closer to $400 because I'm very happy with my SM3 and even my new X10 which is very good for a small BA.

post #74 of 261

Right? I often prefer the X10s to my TF10s, quite often. If you don't mind EQ, try giving them about a 2-4 dB boost at 1 khz, 5.5 khz, and somewhere high, 10k or 11.5k, it makes them sound much more balanced (but obviously still not neutral). I tried lowering the bass at first but the sound is so colored overall that it doesn't do much. But putting some small, broad peaks in the rest of the spectrum evens them out and produces an even more engaging sound with noticeably better vocals IMO.

 

I rarely reached for the TF10 when I had my SM3s, but the X10s have a really unique, lush, and powerful sound unlike any BA I have ever heard and I always find them back in my ears. With some of my more textured electronic music like Shpongle and Infected Mushroom, they make the TF10 sound downright hollow. They EQ better than the TF10 too, although they are not as fast and detailed and the treble will never compare regardless of EQ. I think the X10 compete well with, and also compliment the TF10. 

 

[/off-topic rant]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

I'll wait for other vendors to get them where the price I believe will be more reasonable and closer to $400 because I'm very happy with my SM3 and even my new X10 which is very good for a small BA.

post #75 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Right? I often prefer the X10s to my TF10s, quite often. If you don't mind EQ, try giving them about a 2-4 dB boost at 1 khz, 5.5 khz, and somewhere high, 10k or 11.5k, it makes them sound much more balanced (but obviously still not neutral). I tried lowering the bass at first but the sound is so colored overall that it doesn't do much. But putting some small, broad peaks in the rest of the spectrum evens them out and produces an even more engaging sound with noticeably better vocals IMO.

 

I rarely reached for the TF10 when I had my SM3s, but the X10s have a really unique, lush, and powerful sound unlike any BA I have ever heard and I always find them back in my ears. With some of my more textured electronic music like Shpongle and Infected Mushroom, they make the TF10 sound downright hollow. They EQ better than the TF10 too, although they are not as fast and detailed and the treble will never compare regardless of EQ. I think the X10 compete well with, and also compliment the TF10. 

 

[/off-topic rant]

 

Yeah there's just something about the X10 that I really like, the more I listen to them the more I like them.  I wasn't expecting them to sound as good as they do and they're the best single BA I've had and it is quite amazing how powerful and dynamic those little things sound.  Are the BA's they use from Knowles or Sonion?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: