My dad is a a bit of an audiophile but I haven't really got the cash to get him a high end $300+ Pair of headphones but he said he is good with a nice pair of $100-$150 Headphones and these two seem to be getting the best reviews for the price.
- productAKG High Performance Closed-Back DJ Headphones - K181DJtagged by System, 12/10/12
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for a new pair of cans with bass Last post on 6/19/13 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best headphones to buy at the moment, One more thread about this i know :P Last post on 5/9/14 at 11:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Basically im becoming less of a basshead.Interested in srh440.comparable to these sets? Last post on 3/22/14 at 7:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 4/6/14 at 7:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Before I start this review, I would like to thank Creative for sending out a Roar 2 unit to me. I’m quite surprised myself that prior to this, I had never heard a Creative product before, despite...
The Rockmaster OE (along with its sister product the Rockmaster IE) is a new offering from Encore that explores crowdfunding as a way to produce high quality yet low priced items. They can do this...
The Rockmaster IE is a new offering from Encore that explores crowdfunding as a way to produce high quality yet low priced items. They can do this by selecting OEM manufacturers and customizing the...
About Me I am in my fifties and have loved music and music equipment all my life. From about 8 years old, I had my first exposure to my mother’s reel to reel tape recorder. A few years later, I...
Introduction: I was asked by Brainwavz’/GPGSHK’s Pandora whether I was interested in reviewing their latest Brainwavz product, the Kidwavz KV100 that was especially designed for kids, so I...
AKG K181's or M-Audio Studiophile Q-40?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I can't speak about the AKG's, but I own the M-Audio's and have not been that pleased with them. Within a couple months of light use they stopped playing out of one side altogether. They replaced my old pair, but my new one seems to be threatening to do the same. In general I've heard bad things about the long term dependability of M-Audio headphones and speakers.
I'm pretty happy with the sound, though. My main everyday complaint with them is that they get uncomfortable (because of clamping). If I could go back though, I wish I spent the little bit extra on the Audio Technica M50's. Everyone seems to like those. At the top of your price range:
In that price range, you can find a used Shure SRH840 or AKG K272HD both of which sound nicer than M50, Q40 and K181DJ in my opinion. For a warmer, fuller sound go with SRH840. For a clearer, crisper sound with tighter bass, get the K272HD. I would also recommend IEMs (in-ear monitors) if your dad doesn't mind those. In particular, JVC FXT90 is a fantastic buy, offering great bass and sparkly highs for a very exciting overall sound and I feel it has a higher overall sound quality than any of the aforementioned closed back full sized headphones. Etymotic HF5 is fantastic if accuracy if what one is looking far. It sounds extremely precise and realistic and beats the aforementioned closed back over the ear headphones easily in overall sound quality as well in my view.
Who are you!?!? This is creepy... you're asking the same question that I've been asking recently AND you have the same avatar that I had until I changed it today!
I've tried both and to my ears the Q40 definitely sounds better. The K181 has boomy upper bass and elevated lower treble for an overall aggressive sound. The Q40 has tighter bass with more rumble and isn't at all boomy, and the treble is very relaxed but with good texture and extension. The bottom line is that the Q40 sounds like a studio headphone with boosted bass, whereas the K181 sounds like a punchy mainstream/DJ set. I also find the K181 very uncomfortable - but maybe if you replace the stock supraaural pads with circumaural pads it will be ok. The M-Audio cable is apparently not at all durable despite looking and feeling high quality, so it's a matter of time before it will need to be replaced, but it's a standard 3.5mm plug so it's much cheaper to replace than a miniXLR like the AKGs.
- AKG K181's or M-Audio Studiophile Q-40?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice 1 minute ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed! And the new Firmware 'flavours' are... 2 minutes ago
- › Remote Surge protector that is audio friendly? 2 minutes ago
- › I Finished My First Ever DIY Project! Bottlehead Crack! 3 minutes ago
- › Rational reasons to love vinyl 5 minutes ago
- › RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions 5 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 7 minutes ago
- › Need help finding a great pair of headphones please (details inside) 7 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN Series: 1/1es/3/5 -- Ti-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear"... 8 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Portable NFC Bluetooth Speaker with... by lin0003
- › Encore RockMaster OE by Armaegis
- › Encore RockMaster IE by Armaegis
- › Final Audio Design Heaven VII by AndrewH13
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by HiFiChris
- › Brainwavz Jive by Hisoundfi
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2