- 2 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAkg K518Leblu K 518 Le Limited Edition Headphones (Blue)tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productAKG K99 Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
- productJVC HAS400W Carbon Nanotube On-Ear Headband Headphones (White)tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productKicker 09HP541 DJ Style Over-the-Ear Stereo Headphonetagged by System, 12/10/12
- productKoss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open )tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productKoss PRODJ100tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by System, 12/10/12
- productPhilips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptowntagged by System, 12/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 419 Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12More
- productSennheiser HD 439 Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 12/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones for $60 Help Last post on 7/30/13 at 3:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best sub-$50 over-ear headphones? Last post on 1/30/13 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Incipio f38, Superlux HD681 (or 668), or Razer Orca's? HELP! Last post on 7/25/12 at 2:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need "upgrade" to my Sennheisers Last post on 8/14/13 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Looking down at the vast landscape of Head-Fi and audio technology in general, I have noticed quite a few things over the past two years. Firstly, the crazy products,...
Introduction – It can be hard to find a rational reason to purchase a set of bookshelf speakers when there are so many fantastic computer out there that offer more features and similar sound...
Gear references Favourite: D2000 (balanced with sub-bass and upper-midrange emphasis) Neutrality: SRH940 (though with a slight treble emphasis) IEM reference: Aurisonics...
Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR-2 DAP Review And Impressions - Expatinjapan Head Pie Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at another new headphone storage and organization product from Brainwavz, the Krudul Duo, though this particular item is more like two...
Help! Headphones for my Sonpost #1 of 912/10/12 at 11:13amThread StarterMy son asked for a pair of beats for Christmas. I was a bit shocked by the price and then reading a bit it seems like they're way overpriced for the money (the Bose of headphones maybe?). So we had a talk about quality and value vs. style and what's "in". He is onboard for a less expensive alternative that gives him a better Christmas and just as good to superior sound regardless of how they look. Maybe a good Christmas present and a lesson all rolled up in one.Searching around has led me here. I'm not an audiophile and I've read a couple dozens threads. It seems like recommendations are very specific to your equipment, musical taste, and use. I was hoping to lay out some of our requirements and get a few knowledgeable recommendations. So following is what we're looking for and what headphone reviews I've read so far. I'll consider any recommendations and appreciate your help. Thanks!Around $50 or lessHe doesn't want earbuds, he wants something that sits on his ear or goes over his ears80% of use will be for his iPod/iTouch20% watching movies with Kindle Fire or LaptopMusic is more important to him than the moviesHe listens to Skillet, Mumford & Sons, Jason Mraz, Switchfoot, John Mayer, Toby MacThey need some durability. He takes care of his stuff but we travel and they will get a TON of use. Very active 13 yo.Some of the reviews I've been reading:Panasonic RP-HTF600-SKoss PortaProKicker HP541Superlux HD668BAkg K99AKG K15LESuperlux HD681
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 912/10/12 at 12:55pm
How about the Sennheiser HD439? Reading the reviews on Amazon, people really seem to like them a lot.
They retail new for $100, but they are available on Amazon refurbished (like new) for under $39.
I personally have never had any trouble with refurbished . .a lot of the time it is brand new stuff that they are trying to close out.
Edited by mitchflorida - 12/10/12 at 12:56pmpost #3 of 912/10/12 at 2:02pmThread Starterpost #4 of 912/10/12 at 2:19pmQuote:
Well you get what you pay for. Refurbished still has a two year warranty.
HD419 are in your price range and are brand new $50.
Edited by mitchflorida - 12/10/12 at 2:58pmpost #5 of 912/10/12 at 2:58pm
I may get some flack for this, but if you don't mind increasing your budget a bit, the audio-technica m50's might work nicely. They can be found for around 100$, but they have lots of bass that will probably appeal to a 13 year old, and IMO they look cool as well. Not to mention I enjoy their sound. I'm not sure you'll find too many circumaural headphones that sound decent for under 50$. There are certainly options other than the m50's, but that's all I really have experience with in that price range.
edit- didn't see that supraaural would be ok as well, that may fit your price range a bit better. I've heard good things about the portapros
Edited by gregr507 - 12/10/12 at 3:00pmpost #6 of 912/10/12 at 5:37pmQuote:
I got my brother some HD419's and I personally think they sound pretty good, especially for the price. I have HD558's and they use the same cushioning as the 419's. Here's the amazon link for em new.post #7 of 912/10/12 at 6:47pmpost #8 of 912/10/12 at 7:26pmpost #9 of 912/10/12 at 7:43pm
Maybe the Philips Uptowns? I think some people have been able to find them for ~$50-60, which is a great price for them.
The Koss DJ100 is also well-regarded here.
Edited by HeroicPenguin - 12/10/12 at 7:44pm
- Help! Headphones for my Son
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › DT 990 Premium 600 Ohm + Fiio E10K 34 seconds ago
- › Looking for some new comfortable headphones 1 minute ago
- › What makes the Sennheiser 598s so bad for rock/metal? 3 minutes ago
- › Flac decoding headset 4 minutes ago
- › The decline of the laugh track 7 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 8 minutes ago
- › 2016 Audeze EL-8 Open in excellent condition 8 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 8 minutes ago
- › Dapper for Mac updates: App to sync iTunes with your DAP 9 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 9 minutes ago
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Gigaset Earphones by B9Scrambler
- › OPPO HA-2 by ryanjsoo
- › TFZ Series 1 by Hisoundfi
- › LH Labs Geek Out V2+ by peter123
- › CEntrance DACPort HD by Aero Dynamik
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...