- 2 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAkg K518Leblu K 518 Le Limited Edition Headphones (Blue)tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productAKG K99 Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
- productJVC HAS400W Carbon Nanotube On-Ear Headband Headphones (White)tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productKicker 09HP541 DJ Style Over-the-Ear Stereo Headphonetagged by System, 12/10/12
- productKoss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open )tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productKoss PRODJ100tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by System, 12/10/12
- productPhilips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptowntagged by System, 12/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 419 Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12More
- productSennheiser HD 439 Headphones Blacktagged by System, 12/10/12
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 12/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones for $60 Help Last post on 7/30/13 at 3:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best sub-$50 over-ear headphones? Last post on 1/30/13 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Incipio f38, Superlux HD681 (or 668), or Razer Orca's? HELP! Last post on 7/25/12 at 2:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need "upgrade" to my Sennheisers Last post on 8/14/13 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and...
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
Help! Headphones for my Sonpost #1 of 912/10/12 at 11:13amThread StarterMy son asked for a pair of beats for Christmas. I was a bit shocked by the price and then reading a bit it seems like they're way overpriced for the money (the Bose of headphones maybe?). So we had a talk about quality and value vs. style and what's "in". He is onboard for a less expensive alternative that gives him a better Christmas and just as good to superior sound regardless of how they look. Maybe a good Christmas present and a lesson all rolled up in one.Searching around has led me here. I'm not an audiophile and I've read a couple dozens threads. It seems like recommendations are very specific to your equipment, musical taste, and use. I was hoping to lay out some of our requirements and get a few knowledgeable recommendations. So following is what we're looking for and what headphone reviews I've read so far. I'll consider any recommendations and appreciate your help. Thanks!Around $50 or lessHe doesn't want earbuds, he wants something that sits on his ear or goes over his ears80% of use will be for his iPod/iTouch20% watching movies with Kindle Fire or LaptopMusic is more important to him than the moviesHe listens to Skillet, Mumford & Sons, Jason Mraz, Switchfoot, John Mayer, Toby MacThey need some durability. He takes care of his stuff but we travel and they will get a TON of use. Very active 13 yo.Some of the reviews I've been reading:Panasonic RP-HTF600-SKoss PortaProKicker HP541Superlux HD668BAkg K99AKG K15LESuperlux HD681
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 912/10/12 at 12:55pm
How about the Sennheiser HD439? Reading the reviews on Amazon, people really seem to like them a lot.
They retail new for $100, but they are available on Amazon refurbished (like new) for under $39.
I personally have never had any trouble with refurbished . .a lot of the time it is brand new stuff that they are trying to close out.
Edited by mitchflorida - 12/10/12 at 12:56pmpost #3 of 912/10/12 at 2:02pmThread Starterpost #4 of 912/10/12 at 2:19pmQuote:
Well you get what you pay for. Refurbished still has a two year warranty.
HD419 are in your price range and are brand new $50.
Edited by mitchflorida - 12/10/12 at 2:58pmpost #5 of 912/10/12 at 2:58pm
I may get some flack for this, but if you don't mind increasing your budget a bit, the audio-technica m50's might work nicely. They can be found for around 100$, but they have lots of bass that will probably appeal to a 13 year old, and IMO they look cool as well. Not to mention I enjoy their sound. I'm not sure you'll find too many circumaural headphones that sound decent for under 50$. There are certainly options other than the m50's, but that's all I really have experience with in that price range.
edit- didn't see that supraaural would be ok as well, that may fit your price range a bit better. I've heard good things about the portapros
Edited by gregr507 - 12/10/12 at 3:00pmpost #6 of 912/10/12 at 5:37pmQuote:
I got my brother some HD419's and I personally think they sound pretty good, especially for the price. I have HD558's and they use the same cushioning as the 419's. Here's the amazon link for em new.post #7 of 912/10/12 at 6:47pmpost #8 of 912/10/12 at 7:26pmpost #9 of 912/10/12 at 7:43pm
Maybe the Philips Uptowns? I think some people have been able to find them for ~$50-60, which is a great price for them.
The Koss DJ100 is also well-regarded here.
Edited by HeroicPenguin - 12/10/12 at 7:44pm
- Help! Headphones for my Son
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 4 seconds ago
- › Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!! 9 seconds ago
- › New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 minutes ago
- › [SOLD] Tralucent ORIGINAL 1Plus2 (Version 1) with 5N OCC SPC Custom... 4 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions and Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) incoming... 7 minutes ago
- › Looking for recommendations for a portable headphone DAC/AMP with... 7 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 8 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob