Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Confession and rant: love my rs1 can't love my he500.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Confession and rant: love my rs1 can't love my he500. - Page 3

post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

My GS1000is sound less "bright" than my HD800s. Somehow the Grado's highs are sweet and inviting all the time whereas the HD800's highs on brighter recordings can be shrill or abrasive.


x2. The HD800 is a great headphone but its treble peak has always bothered me. I don't experience that with Grados.


Edited by unspool - 12/14/12 at 4:16pm
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspool View Post


x2. The HD800 is a great headphone but its treble peak has always bothered me. I don't experience that with Grados.

Thanks for confirming that sir.

And I call it a "tube" brightness. Tube highs have a sort of beautiful pristine shimmering character, and the Grado GS1000is seem to have that kind of treble to me.

(I do listen with tubes, but I will check on my solid state amp when I get a chance.) 

These kind of highs are much more part of the Grado signature than the HD800 one, even with a tube amp, so the Grado highs are more friendly and inviting.


Edited by rgs9200m - 12/14/12 at 6:43pm
post #33 of 89

I didn't read the whole thread, because I'm that guy.. But, sell he500 and try some magnums. My .02

post #34 of 89
I'd have to second the magnums if you want to play it safe, but I'd also recommend the T1's after felt dampening.

From what I recall, the magnums have a little better bass kick (impact or whatever), and probably slightly better separation compared to the RS1- but its been a while since I've sold my magnums. To oversimplify it, its a different flavor of the grados sound.

As for the T1s, they sound a cut leaner than my RS1's even with all the felt and stuff I put in the T1's, but I find myself loving the imaging, speed, vocal clairity, and the soundstage it offers.

@attila: when you say you want more from your RS1, what do want more of?
Edited by itshot - 12/15/12 at 9:01am
post #35 of 89

Wow, all this talk of the GS1000i has me salivating...

I have tried the PS500 (three different pairs) and every time the bass felt too warm, too thick, too obtrusive. If I felt this way, would I feel the same way about the PS1000? I've always wanted to hear the PS1000.

I've never seriously considered the GS1000i because everything I've read about it seems to suggest it's too bright to listen to at moderate volumes and that the mids are too recessed. So are these non-issues with the "i" models?

 

-----

Concerning the Magnum route, I can share my experience with that. I have a Woodied Magnum V4 setup, and the first thing I noticed when comparing it to Grados is that it really does sound like Grado. So if you're worried about a substantial departure from the Grado house sound, then I wouldn't worry. Magnum V4 in Grado ear-cups sound like a Grado headphone.

 

Where the differences lie is the mids, most notably. The Magnum V4 mids are the best mids I've heard from any headphone. They take the magic that Grado has in the mids, and they find a way to make it slightly more refined. This means they still sound forward, but not with the fatiguing forwardness that I personally find Grado mids can have. Not only this, they lose the "shoutiness" sometimes present in Grado models, which makes for a smooth ride and, like I said, the best mid-presentation I've heard.

 

As for the bass, it sounds to me very neutral. It's still Grado-like, but it doesn't have as much kick or impact as the RS1i's I've heard. This could be the particular V4 drivers I have, or the driver-earcup synergy, but whatever it is, it sounds actually quite neutral to me, non-fatiguing and unobtrusive. Still, I wish the bass was more RS1i-like.

The highs seem great too. Very natural, life-like sounding highs. Smooth in that the highs do not sound peaky, which Grado highs can sound at times.

The only deal-breaking issue I have with the Magnum V4's is the sibilance. My pair, for whatever reason, seems to have trouble dealing with sibilance. On really good recordings, this is a non-issue and the headphones sound terrific. But on most of my music, the V4 displays a sharp sibilance that my SR60i does not.

That said, I have the newest update of the Magnum driver being shipped to me as soon as Jin at TurbulentLabs gets the shipment from Rhydon. I'm hoping that it's just my particular V4's that are sibilant, and that the V5 doesn't have this issue. Supposedly, the V5 has better bass extension and slightly more impact, so if it doesn't display sibilance and indeed improves upon the bass of the V4 without reaching PS500-like obtrusiveness, then I'll have exactly the Grado-like presentation I've been longing for. I await.

post #36 of 89

The PS1000 and LCD-3 is the clear way to go. The PS1000 is without a doubt the most detailed, vibrant, lifelike and natural of the Grado line up. Unlike most of the higher end Grados these have a fuller sound and a great detailed and punchy bass. 

It's sounds great straight out of the 300$ Bellari HA540 tube amp!

GS1000 was unfortunately a big mehe for me.

To bad they sell it at 500$ overprice.

 

 The way they present music is polar opposites so a its team made in heaven. 

Sell the Darkstar and get a DNA Stratus. Audio Bliss!

post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post

The PS1000 and LCD-3 is the clear way to go. The PS1000 is without a doubt the most detailed, vibrant, lifelike and natural of the Grado line up. Unlike most of the higher end Grados these have a fuller sound and a great detailed and punchy bass. 

It's sounds great straight out of the 300$ Bellari HA540 tube amp!

GS1000 was unfortunately a big mehe for me.

To bad they sell it at 500$ overprice.

 

 The way they present music is polar opposites so a its team made in heaven. 

Sell the Darkstar and get a DNA Stratus. Audio Bliss!

That's just the problem Sweden. The PSs have a too-punchy bass that sounds exaggerated. It can be bloated.

And it's too vibrant, making it fatiguing.

Someone in the past here even called it vulgar (well, I wouldn't go that far, but I know what they were getting at).

I much prefer the GS which is lively but still even-handed from top to bottom. I just love the GS1000i.


Edited by rgs9200m - 12/20/12 at 5:28pm
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilahun View Post


....I want more from my rs1s....
This is half rant and half confession.
I want to move on up like George and weezie but I'm not sure where to go.

 

I've been where you are, and if you haven't done it yet, here was the answer for me.  Go balanced. 

 

I found my RS-1's developed an improved bottom end, soundstaging, and a very noticeable gain in imaging.  I've heard all of the current Grado lineup except the PS-500, and IMO a balanced RS-1 takes the cake. 

 

I've also considered a replacement, but was not happy with the HD-800, LCD2, and many others that are so popular here.  I'm happy that (so far) my audio nirvana has been satisfied with a used semi-vintage RS-1 with a balanced stock cable that I picked up for $500.

post #39 of 89
Thread Starter 
Sorry guys for my communication breakdown; computer hard drive crash and rebuild threw me into chaos. Thanks to online backup and very slow download recovery, I'm back.

Hifimanrookie and rgs9200m:
I'm with you guys, the hd800 lack body and seem to shriek on solid state.
On tubes they really come to life with a lush full sound.
My RS1s on the Rsa raptor are a great combo.
Tubes for the gs1000 and ps1000 sound like a great move.

Jtinto: I've heard great things about the EAR amps, would like to audition, solid idea.

Unspool; I've come to favor the grado peak to the hd800 as well. However, I have been mesmerized by the hd800/Eddie current combo. A worthy contender but somewhat less impact and front row presence.

Chris langley and itshot: haven't thought of the magnums and never had a chance to audition. That's a new idea. T1s deserve a shot, they don't get enough props here it seems but I'm definitely curious as I really like my portable dt1350s. "What more do I want from the rs1?" Good question, I should have elaborated. More bass and breadth. Those qualities impressed me with the he500 but I missed the sparkle and shine of the rs1. The lcd3 seemed much closer to this concept than the he6 to me.

Biscuitz: solid intel on the magnums, please keep us posted on the v5, I really need to check those out. More info on the "i" grado updates would be interesting; did they really change the fundamentals or really just a more subtle tweak?

Sweden and rgs9200m; I'm afraid you're right on. I might have to ditch the dark star and get some high quality tubes. I've got an Rsa raptor and like it, but realize there's much more tube goodness out there. The lcd3 is very tempting as is the ps1000 and gs1000.
Maybe time for an extended audition of these from the cable library loaner program, so I can hear what you guys are talking about.

Wolfen68: very cool idea, balancing the rs1s could only add to the magic. Plus I've already resolved to keep them no matter what else I do, it's probably worth the investment. You got a great deal. I'm so attached to my semi-vintage rs1s that I couldn't trade them for another balanced pair, I'd have to upgrade mine.
post #40 of 89

Upgrading your RS-1's is no big deal.  You can do it yourself....or send it somewhere like Moon Audio.  Drew can cut the cable 6-8 inches up from the jack and then insert a mini xlr adapter.  This should be around $60.  Then you can use it like you do now, or use with a balanced adapter (which you'll also need to make/purchase).  Many folks upgrade the entire cable when they go balanced, but I don't see cost/benefit need on a Grado. 

post #41 of 89
Thread Starter 

Great advice, thanks.
This sounds like a no brainer. 
I'm on it!

post #42 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitz View Post

I have tried the PS500 (three different pairs) and every time the bass felt too warm, too thick, too obtrusive. If I felt this way, would I feel the same way about the PS1000? I've always wanted to hear the PS1000.
 

 

I feel the same what you wrote with HF2 and PS1000 too.

post #43 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

That's just the problem Sweden. The PSs have a too-punchy bass that sounds exaggerated. It can be bloated.

And it's too vibrant, making it fatiguing.

Someone in the past here even called it vulgar (well, I wouldn't go that far, but I know what they were getting at).

I much prefer the GS which is lively but still even-handed from top to bottom. I just love the GS1000i.

 

I think we have had this discussion before wink_face.gif

The bass on the PS1000 is glorious and detailed, more detailed than a HD800 in the bass, and tastefully balanced even though the graph say they have a big midbass hump and poor deep bass response. They bass is glorious in the same way LCD-3s bass is glorious. I can understand that it gets in the way for some people who listen to delicate ensemble pieces. There the more delicate GS1000 might have an edge with some classical listeners. Or you just use EQ...


Edited by Sweden - 12/21/12 at 1:04am
post #44 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtinto View Post

Both sound good on the Mapletree EAR+

That amp with the RS1i is a very enjoyable pairing that I'm not selling any time soon 

 

Absolutely!

 

Until you've mated Grados with an amp that matches their electrical properties... you haven't heard them - not even close.  The DV amps do not... I repeat... DO NOT match Grados electrical properties - NOT EVEN CLOSE!  

 

You must have an amp with VERY LOW IMPEDENCE AND HIGH CURRENT OUTPUT... to properly match them.  If so, they are not excessively "bright," or "strident,"... and... they do not have bloated, thick bass, or mids... and... they do have soundstage.  There are few phones that sound as much like "real live music"... when properly driven by a well matched amp.  

 

The same is true of other low impedence phones, such as Denons and ATH's.  

 

One of the best amps I've heard with these phones is the MF X-CAN v8 - which matches them perfectly... but... it doesn't match higher impedence phones well (Senns), unlike the other MF amps.  

 

But, by all means, don't mislead other novices with statements that Grados are excessively "bright," or "strident," or have bloated, flabby bass... when you haven't really heard them.  

post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradofan2 View Post

 

Absolutely!

 

Until you've mated Grados with an amp that matches their electrical properties... you haven't heard them - not even close.  The DV amps do not... I repeat... DO NOT match Grados electrical properties - NOT EVEN CLOSE!  

 

You must have an amp with VERY LOW IMPEDENCE AND HIGH CURRENT OUTPUT... to properly match them.  If so, they are not excessively "bright," or "strident,"... and... they do not have bloated, thick bass, or mids... and... they do have soundstage.  There are few phones that sound as much like "real live music"... when properly driven by a well matched amp.  

 

The same is true of other low impedence phones, such as Denons and ATH's.  

 

One of the best amps I've heard with these phones is the MF X-CAN v8 - which matches them perfectly... but... it doesn't match higher impedence phones well (Senns), unlike the other MF amps.  

 

But, by all means, don't mislead other novices with statements that Grados are excessively "bright," or "strident," or have bloated, flabby bass... when you haven't really heard them.  

 

You are right-- the low impedence settings of my pinnacle makes my Grado RS1s and GS1000is sound much better, not bright or bloated at all, just extended but very listenable live-sounding highs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Confession and rant: love my rs1 can't love my he500.