Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 3 vs UE900 vs PFE232 for rock/metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 3 vs UE900 vs PFE232 for rock/metal

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I've narrowed my search down to these three IEM's as they seem to be the best choice for me. I listen mostly to stuff like metallica, nirvana, and ACDC. Here's how I would describe my preferences:

 

Bass: I don't want it to be bass shy, I want the bass to have at least a decent amount of impact.

 

mids: I don't want the mids to be veiled or distant, I want them to be present. However, I don't like it when mids are the center of attention, and I rather prefer when they are neutrally placed.

 

Treble: I don't want the treble to be toned down, I want it to have impact (I like it when drums and cymbals hit hard)

 

Overall, I want the IEM to have a "wow" factor when listening to these genres. I would like to clarify something: if lets say the westone 3 is much better for rock/metal than the PFE232, the the PFE232 matches my sonic preferences better, I would prefer to take the Westone 3. Although I do have a preference in sound, I'm not sure if my preferences match my music genres well.

post #2 of 19

Based on what you said, I'd like to say that I'd go PFE232 over the UE 900.  Can't comment on the W3.

post #3 of 19

Westone 3 over the UE900s for rock/bass/dubstep/house/etc, they produce a huge amount of bass and their highs will have that impact you seek. The UE900s though, are more detailed and clear, sometimes the mids on the Westone 3s are abit lacking on pure vocal songs, however I've only listened to them for around 3 hours, so that may change. I have not heard the PFE232, so not sure how they size up against the other two.

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

Based on what you said, I'd like to say that I'd go PFE232 over the UE 900.  Can't comment on the W3.

 

The PFE232 isn't usually recommended for rock/metal, do you think they will be good for these genres anyway? just making sure :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonFnatic View Post

Westone 3 over the UE900s for rock/bass/dubstep/house/etc, they produce a huge amount of bass and their highs will have that impact you seek. The UE900s though, are more detailed and clear, sometimes the mids on the Westone 3s are abit lacking on pure vocal songs, however I've only listened to them for around 3 hours, so that may change. I have not heard the PFE232, so not sure how they size up against the other two.

Do you think the Westone 3 lacks a bit of musicality? I don't want it to sound lifeless or dry because of the mids.

post #5 of 19
I have no idea where you got the idea that the PFE232 was bad for rock and metal. It fits the profile pretty nicely for those genres.
post #6 of 19

W3 is anything but lifeless.  Very exciting and revealing.  It will give you biggest wow factor and slamming bass.

 

Silicone tips tend to make the W3 midrange recessed but with comply tips the midrange is very present.

 

W3 ergonomics is best of the three.


Edited by Spyro - 12/9/12 at 8:00am
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

W3 is anything but lifeless.  Very exciting and revealing.  It will give you biggest wow factor and slamming bass.

 

Silicone tips tend to make the W3 midrange recessed but with comply tips the midrange is very present.

 

W3 ergonomics is best of the three.

I had a problem when I tried using the Shure SE215, I thought it was very annoying to put on (it took me around 10-20 seconds to put it on properly). The westone 3 has a similar design to shure IEMs, so is it just as annoying to put on? Also, is it unforgiving? As I mentioned below, some of my songs are from itunes and they aren't recorded that well, so I can't have anything that reveals too many flaws.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

I have no idea where you got the idea that the PFE232 was bad for rock and metal. It fits the profile pretty nicely for those genres.

Would you say the PFE232 is unforgiving of poor sources? Some of my songs are from itunes (not all of them) so would they sound bad with the PFE232?

post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

W3 is anything but lifeless.  Very exciting and revealing.  It will give you biggest wow factor and slamming bass.

 

Silicone tips tend to make the W3 midrange recessed but with comply tips the midrange is very present.

 

W3 ergonomics is best of the three.

 

I don't have the W3, but the ergonomics of the PFE232 is better than the W4 IMO... 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

I had a problem when I tried using the Shure SE215, I thought it was very annoying to put on (it took me around 10-20 seconds to put it on properly). The westone 3 has a similar design to shure IEMs, so is it just as annoying to put on? Also, is it unforgiving? As I mentioned below, some of my songs are from itunes and they aren't recorded that well, so I can't have anything that reveals too many flaws.

 

Would you say the PFE232 is unforgiving of poor sources? Some of my songs are from itunes (not all of them) so would they sound bad with the PFE232?

 

iTunes songs are 256 AAC which isn't bad quality at all.  You'll be fine with that. 

post #9 of 19

Re:ergonomics, PFE232 doesn't seem as flat/flush to ear.  Can you lie down with it?  For working out/running, etc Westone works best for me so depends how OP is going to use.

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Re:ergonomics, PFE232 doesn't seem as flat/flush to ear.  Can you lie down with it?  For working out/running, etc Westone works best for me so depends how OP is going to use.

 

Here's a pic of mine. To my ears, the PFE232 and PFE112 are the two most comfortable IEMs I've tried to date. I never lay down with IEMs anyways, but they do have a pretty flush and flat fit.

 

 

1000

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Re:ergonomics, PFE232 doesn't seem as flat/flush to ear.  Can you lie down with it?  For working out/running, etc Westone works best for me so depends how OP is going to use.

 

I'm able to use the PFE laying down easily.  The Westones put more pressure up against my ear, it'll hurt more over time as the PFE puts less pressure on my ear.  That might just be me though.

post #12 of 19
I own both the W3 and the UE900. I find myself taking the UE900 far more often simply because I feel it has a cleaner and more balanced sound.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Re:ergonomics, PFE232 doesn't seem as flat/flush to ear.  Can you lie down with it?  For working out/running, etc Westone works best for me so depends how OP is going to use.

 

I can't lie down with the Westones comfortably, the large, rounded housing seem to protrude a bit. The Phonaks sit quite flush by comparison, well, to me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

I had a problem when I tried using the Shure SE215, I thought it was very annoying to put on (it took me around 10-20 seconds to put it on properly). The westone 3 has a similar design to shure IEMs, so is it just as annoying to put on? Also, is it unforgiving? As I mentioned below, some of my songs are from itunes and they aren't recorded that well, so I can't have anything that reveals too many flaws.

 

Depends on what you find to be annoying. The over-ear style (The cable fitting properly over the ear)? Insertion? The Westone cables are much more flexible and easy to handle than the Shures. Insertion should take mere seconds.

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

 

I can't lie down with the Westones comfortably, the large, rounded housing seem to protrude a bit. The Phonaks sit quite flush by comparison, well, to me. 

 

Depends on what you find to be annoying. The over-ear style (The cable fitting properly over the ear)? Insertion? The Westone cables are much more flexible and easy to handle than the Shures. Insertion should take mere seconds.

I think it really all depends on the person.  I loved my Westone 4's because for me, once they were in, I never noticed them.  I fell asleep more times than I can count listening to music because it was super comfortable and I loved the sound.  With the PFE 232, I really never listen to them if I'm lying down because I don't get the same fit.  I also wouldn't use them for working out because I have cheaper iem's for that but also because I tried once since I was using equipment at home and could not get them to stay in and ended up being really frustrated and annoyed. 

 

I'm not totally sure I'd buy the 232's for the genre's you mentioned but that's just my opinion.  I think they do everything well and the ability to change the filters does work wonders but if I was only using them for rock/metal I would be more inclined towards the Westone 4 and possibly the 3 but I've never heard it.  I'm the kind of person who has to hear it to figure out if it's for me. 

post #15 of 19

I owned the westone 3 and UE900 and I wasn't a big fan of the W3's SQ towards rock/metal. The bass seemed to subdue the mids (IMO). But I really liked the fit and ergonomics.

I think the UE900 is the better option among the two for rock/metal. It has very good bass, but it isn't overpowering. I sold my W3 am currently using the UE900s.

 

I actually preferred the GR07 if I was in the mood to just rock my brains out!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 3 vs UE900 vs PFE232 for rock/metal