I'm looking for suggestions. I recently had her up and she was listening to my HD600s and instantly fell in love with them. That being said, while I do find them fitting myself for the genres she listens to, I cant help but feel there might be better options out there for her. She's looking to spend $200-300. She typically listens to a lot of electronic music and she likes bass. Bass is a must.
- productAKG K167 Tiesto Closed-Back DJ Studio Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productSennheiser Amperior On-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 12/10/12
- productSennheiser MOMENTUMtagged by System, 12/10/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 12/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dear Head-Fi, I need help choosing my first pair of high quality headphones. Last post on 10/1/13 at 9:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need good cans for my arrow 4g Last post on 3/19/13 at 11:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Please! I need to buy a headphone. Guidance wld be much appreciated Last post on 1/18/13 at 7:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help Finding Headphones Last post on 12/26/12 at 2:51am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I can remember when I first joined Head-Fi, I started with some pretty cheap gear, and I...
At the time this review was written, the TFZ Series 3 was listed for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Background: I own Sennheiser HD600 and Fiio X3II. I love HD600 because it is comfortable and also works well for my classical music and vocal music. But it doesn't play well with any pop music...
PETEREK cables Balanced cable for Sony EX series. Standard custom for Sony EX series Standard 2 pin cable for LEAR,ASG,SHURE ETC. Standard MMCX...
This will be a short review as there are a few other reviews that go into great depth listing all of the specs. I mainly joined this tour to basically get another chance at the X7 and try the amp...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Girlfriend is looking for headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I know from those that theyve got good bass.
I currently own a pair of HD25, but I wouldnt recommend them for your GF because the clamping force will probably annoy her. I've ordered a pair of MDR-1R; from what I read, it's very comfortable and produces good sound (Jude said best sub $500 closed-cans). But I'm not sure if the bass will "wow" her, as some said that the bass is not as boomy or punchy. Besides, the MDR-1R look great IMO :) (they're in a black/red version and white/silver/brown edition, I ordered the black/red one, the red looks mighty on the black)
Main reason why I'm stepping off the HD25 is due to the sibilance.
I could've picked the Momentum, but they're more expensive and the design of the headphone makes it look huge on my head. AKG K167, I heard it's a bit fragile.
My mate owns a pair of ATH-M50's, the bass and comfort is good but I (personally) don't really like the design.
If she's only using it for @home use (with an amp, small one like a fiio e11 would do), I'd say get her a pair of HE-400 :D
Edited by Faab - 12/8/12 at 7:37am
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro80
or the Limited Edition Pro32
As they do not sacrifice much of other apsects with their powerful bass, and still sound elegant as to the HD600.
I purchased a pair of dt770 pro 80's about a month back and they are awesome, especially for bass music. They also dont drown out the mids and highs, the only thing that some people might consider a downside is the slightly recessed mids. I personally dont mind. Plus the velour ear pads are really comfy.
Hifiman HE-400 is known as a good technological upgrade to HD600, so she could well like them. I bought them recently and love the sound. I think it is wonderful for well-recorded and complex electronic music, but with poorly recorded and heavily compressed EM it may not sound as fun as some other alternatives suggested (DT770s, D2000 etc).
The bass of HE-400 is possibly the best you can find in this price range. If your girlfriend wants subwoofer-like bass, HE-400 can deliver that.
I wear them every night for hours and find them comfortable, but to some they may be a bit bulky and heavy. The design is not great.
Perhaps best $400 I spent on music equipment. I would have paid more for them.
I would suggest the V-Moda Crossfade m100's, they sound perfect for what you are looking for.. They have a lot of bass and are built like a tank. Also they are very customizable so she can make them "look pretty". Innerfidelity has an excellent review on them here http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bassheads-delight-v-moda-crossfade-m-100. Cnet gave them an editors choice award. The hifimans are pretty heavy and my wife thinks they are heavy.
Worth noting that the ATH-M50's come in white -- which might appeal. Also there is the 50th anniversary edition with silver/metallic finish.
But if she fell in love with your HD600s -- would definitely consider the HD600 (or HD 650) as possibly being right on the mark. Safest bet, I'd say...
I have to agree with krash3x the v-moda m-100s are the best possible match. They have them in an excellent white color and they are super great for electronic music and they have a kicking bass! The m-80s are a possible choice too.
why are people recommending beyerdynamic T1, he-500 and hd 600/650 when he said budget is 200-300?
M-Audio Q40 they're like $130-$180, I think. They were recommended to me by a very very reliable source. I'd actually like to see what the source would upgrade from the Q40s. You know something a little more expensive that might sound a little better. If I get an answer Ill post again. I'm into dark headphones with more bass than my hd598s, so he said Q40s. I listen to electronic/classical.
- Girlfriend is looking for headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Earbuds Round-Up 18 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 26 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 37 seconds ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 53 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 56 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by... 4 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Brooko
- › The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Series 3 Hifi Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...