Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S, Momentum, UE6000, MDR-1R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S,... - Page 7

post #91 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

Man, really impressed with the quality of this review/comparison. Professional quality stuff for sure. Too bad this is buried in the IEM section of the forums as I think it would get more comments and further discussion if it were in the full-size can section. After reading the piece, I am now on the hunt for a pair of Momentums to help round out my stable of current headphones. These look REALLY nice and I could see getting a lot of head time with these. Off to the classified section! Thanks again and looking forward to reading more of your work. 

 

Quick question before I go: Would you say these [Momentums] have a similar sound signature to the HD600 also by Sennheiser?

 

I don't get it though. Shouldn't this be in the portable section because it is a portable headphone roundup?

 

Still, I might get someone to magick it away to the full size thread haha.

 

I'm afraid I don't have the HD600 on hand for direct comparison, hopefully someone else can give some input :)

post #92 of 113

If all of the headphones you reviewed in this thread were around the same price, which would you choose for classical or jazz? the Z1000?
 

post #93 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

I don't get it though. Shouldn't this be in the portable section because it is a portable headphone roundup?

 

Still, I might get someone to magick it away to the full size thread haha.

 

I'm afraid I don't have the HD600 on hand for direct comparison, hopefully someone else can give some input :)

Oh no, you certainly DID put it in the right section it just gets lost amid the endless 'Help, what CIEM should I get' threads. 

post #94 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfskie View Post

If all of the headphones you reviewed in this thread were around the same price, which would you choose for classical or jazz? the Z1000?

 

For all the same price I would probably choose the Momentum for jazz and maybe the Momentum or MDR-1R for classical...

post #95 of 113

..and if price was an issue? the MDR-1R?

What about amplification? I didn't notice you saying anything regarding that in your review, apart from your exclamation of equipment in the beginning, do any of those really only shine with better amplification, or is the iphone-out good enough?
 

post #96 of 113

Excellent review, even though most of the lexicon is not clear for me, a noobie in the hi-fi world. From the models reviewed I have been considering the MDR-1R and the ATH-50M as upgrades to my dying first cans, the Denon AHD-310R. Now I think the Momentum have joined the list too, although I will have to stretch my budget. It is going to be hard to find retailers in Birsbane where I can hear them, though.

 

Anyway, keep the good work up!!

post #97 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlejoVillegas View Post

Excellent review, even though most of the lexicon is not clear for me, a noobie in the hi-fi world. From the models reviewed I have been considering the MDR-1R and the ATH-50M as upgrades to my dying first cans, the Denon AHD-310R. Now I think the Momentum have joined the list too, although I will have to stretch my budget. It is going to be hard to find retailers in Birsbane where I can hear them, though.


Anyway, keep the good work up!!

They should be available to listen to at the Apple Store or JB Hi Fi smily_headphones1.gif
post #98 of 113

This is a beautiful in-depth guide and review. 

 

I agree with your impressions on the UE 6000, infact this is my favorite headphone - much more better compare to my beyerdynamic dt 770 le , focal sprit one and etc.

 

Finding a headphone that suits your preference is a very hard and very expensive process, but atleast i found what i want which is the UE 6000.

post #99 of 113

Thanks a lot for the easy-to-read review! 

I guess I'll take a spin on the Momentum and MDR-1R before deciding.. 

post #100 of 113

Very good Thread.

I'm looking for a head phone for rock, pop music.

I think the ATH-M50 will be good for me. Am I right?

post #101 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

I added my notes about the Momentum's. After some time getting some mental burn in, I have come to the conclusion that I really really like them and could probably end my quest. However, I also got a pair of UE6000's to compare because I'm mad. This will be interesting... 

I lachlan... :)

 

Thank you very much for all your written reviews and for all your videos on youtube, you are simply amazing. :)

 

I have a couple of questions if you dont mind...

 

Here it goes....

 

 why did you never made a video review about the amperiors and the ue6000s? If i am not mistaken you do not also have a written review on the amperiors.... lack of time or do you think it was unnecessary due to being not as good as other headphones that you reviews?

 

Also, i am in a bit of a dilemma here... I already have the momentums and i love them (appart from the fit wich is a bit to tight but the sound is worth the pain, and also they are a bit too laidback at times for edm...) but i am thinking of getting a new companion for the mmentums....

 

I listen mostly to indie rock, pop, rock and also a lot of edm.... I am thinking of getting one of these 3.... the mdr 1rs, the ue6000's or the amperiors...

 

My first option is....

 

The silver/brown mdr 1r's ... theyare simply beautifull and i have to get them anytime soon.... XD but many people already told me that they are not bassy enough for the genres i like (and also many told me that the momentum are simply a better headphone in terms of resolution). 150 euros

 

My 2nd pick are the amperiors. It seems like the amperiors sound sig complement the one on the momentums... (agressive vs laidback). From what i read the amperiors are amazing for edm and rock and some claim that they have even better soundstage than the momentums (on one of the reviews here on head fi it is even said that the momentums sound muddy next to the amperiors...).... but at the same time i have been warned that the momentums are a better headphone as an allrounder and that the are still a technically more advanced headphone and with more resolution once again (also they dont look near as good as the 1r's although i believe they are war machines in terms of durability). 170 euros

 

The 3rd choice would be the ue6000's because right now they are costing 99 euros in europe. I believe that they are not in the same class as the other two sonically but the reviews are very good and for 99 euros they seem like a heck of  good deal and also they look cool...

 

So what do you think is the better choice? :) 

 

Oh.... and also thank you very much for this thread.... a fantastic thrad like these should have much more pages since its just too damn good and usefull....

 

Cheers m8... :)


Edited by Pedro Oliveira - 11/8/13 at 12:17pm
post #102 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post
 

I lachlan... :)

 

Thank you very much for all your written reviews and for all your videos on youtube, you are simply amazing. :)

 

Thanks for your kind comments!

 

I actually haven't made an Amperior video because initially I thought it was a bit pointless given that they are just simply better HD25's. I was waiting around for a Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium Edition before doing a review with the Amperiors as well, but time has gotten away.

 

As for the UE6000 I never made a video because I sold my UE6000 before I started making Youtube videos! I have another pair now though, and eventually will make a video of them.

 

For your music preferences I might actually recommend you go for the Amperior, especially if you can find them on a discount because of their discontinued pricing. The Amperior is really good - not as much of an all-rounder as the Momentum but it's still an absolutely stellar listen.

 

Hope that helps!

post #103 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

 

Thanks for your kind comments!

 

I actually haven't made an Amperior video because initially I thought it was a bit pointless given that they are just simply better HD25's. I was waiting around for a Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium Edition before doing a review with the Amperiors as well, but time has gotten away.

 

As for the UE6000 I never made a video because I sold my UE6000 before I started making Youtube videos! I have another pair now though, and eventually will make a video of them.

 

For your music preferences I might actually recommend you go for the Amperior, especially if you can find them on a discount because of their discontinued pricing. The Amperior is really good - not as much of an all-rounder as the Momentum but it's still an absolutely stellar listen.

 

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for your reply lachlan... :)

 

About the ue6000's please do.... right now they are being sold in europe for 99 euros and if i am not mistaken for 89 pounds on the united kingdom on logitechs official website.... this new price (dont now if this price is permanent or not) simply makes them a very amazing competitor against headphones like the mdr 1r's. At first i did not had much interest about them but after reading such amazing reviews and after watching tyll choose them over the Cal!s and the k550's on innerfidelity in terms of sq really makes me think that these are a super bargain, specially when this ones are both good for home and street use.

 

About the amperiors.... Thats what most people tell me.... XD 

 

It seems like a momentum/amperior combination is like getting the best of both worlds since they both excel at their respective sound signatures. But since you have both i am going to ask... do you think that the momentums are that superior to the amperiors in terms of resolution? Is the difference that obvious or almost not noticeable? Also is it true that the the momentums when compared to amperiors sound a bit muddy? Soundstage?

 

About the 1r's.... I still think they are beautifull and i still am thinking of getting them one of this days, but i think i am going to wait for this first.... 

 

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/mdr-1rmk2

 

if the things mentioned on the description are true and if all the problems of the original 1r are fixed on this new version, it is definitly worth the wait...

 

Sorry once again for all the bother... :)


Edited by Pedro Oliveira - 11/8/13 at 1:43pm
post #104 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post
 

do you think that the momentums are that superior to the amperiors in terms of resolution? Is the difference that obvious or almost not noticeable? Also is it true that the the momentums when compared to amperiors sound a bit muddy? Soundstage?

 

I think they are both similar in terms of resolution. However the Amperior has a stronger mid-bass and a more closed in soundstage, and for vocals they sound less delicate than the Momentum. On the other hand the bass is tighter. So it depends on where you want the 'resolution' to lie. I love the bass response of the Amperior, it is one of my favourite headphones for slam!

 

Quote:
 

About the 1r's.... I still think they are beautifull and i still am thinking of getting them one of this days, but i think i am going to wait for this first.... 

 

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/mdr-1rmk2

 

if the things mentioned on the description are true and if all the problems of the original 1r are fixed on this new version, it is definitly worth the wait...

 

From what I understand, the MK2 is very similar to the MK1. Unfortunately I no longer have my MK1 and can't really give you a direct comparison, though the Mk2 is now available in Australia...

post #105 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

 

I think they are both similar in terms of resolution. However the Amperior has a stronger mid-bass and a more closed in soundstage, and for vocals they sound less delicate than the Momentum. On the other hand the bass is tighter. So it depends on where you want the 'resolution' to lie. I love the bass response of the Amperior, it is one of my favourite headphones for slam!

 

 

From what I understand, the MK2 is very similar to the MK1. Unfortunately I no longer have my MK1 and can't really give you a direct comparison, though the Mk2 is now available in Australia...

 

I think i am really going to get the amperior for now .. :) They seem like a fantastic option for edm and rock and also seem like a good complement to the sound of my momentums. :) they also seem to be pretty easy a practical to use everywhere.... Thank you very much for the help lachlan. :)

 

The 1r mk2 unfortunately is not available in europe yet. Acording to sonys description some issues seem to have been fixed... the ratling jack, the wind noises on the cups and now it seems that they have a better bass slam and sound quality overall (keep in mind that i am just stating what is on sonys website.... I never tried any of them so i have no idead if this is true or just a marketing stunt...).

In terms of design they are the exact same headphone and that is perfect since they are simply beautifull in their original form.

One thing i am sure though.... i'll grab a pair of 1r's later! I have to have them! :P There are so many on ebay right now that i will have to buy one anytime soon...

 

Too bad you dont have your sonys any more... ....in your written review on this thread you really seemed to like them quite a bit despite all their flaws... you even have them on your channel page on youtube (they are indeed trully beautifull!!!!)... too bad...

 

Oh by the way!!!! Have you already tried the new CAL!'s2? I dont get it.... they are being sold for almost a month now and still no reviews.... 


Edited by Pedro Oliveira - 11/8/13 at 8:15pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S, Momentum, UE6000, MDR-1R