Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S, Momentum, UE6000, MDR-1R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S,... - Page 5

post #61 of 113

Question about the presentation of the Z1000 v. the 1R: The Z1000 has a very much "in the head" sound for vocals like the SM3 that I really dislike (really the only problem I have with them). Does the 1R have the same characteristic? I know some people enjoy this intimacy, but I'm not a fan. I'm wondering because I heard that the 1R has a larger soundstage and might have been able to get rid of the "in the head" vocals/mids of the Z1000.

 

Thanks!

post #62 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

Question about the presentation of the Z1000 v. the 1R: The Z1000 has a very much "in the head" sound for vocals like the SM3 that I really dislike (really the only problem I have with them). Does the 1R have the same characteristic? I know some people enjoy this intimacy, but I'm not a fan. I'm wondering because I heard that the 1R has a larger soundstage and might have been able to get rid of the "in the head" vocals/mids of the Z1000.

 

Thanks!

 

It sort of depends. Definitely the MDR-1R soundstage is wider than the Z1000's. However, the headphone still sounds quite intimate because of its mids emphasis, and in some respects because it is darker overall than the Z1000 it might even sound more intimate! I'm not sure how to answer your question one way or the other, so maybe you should see if you can demo them...

post #63 of 113
Yeah I might have to try them out. I don't mind intimate headphones but it's more the presentation that's the issue. Loved the UM3X presentation, hated the SM3 presentation from two different mid-centric IEMs. Hoping the 1R is closer to the UM3X
post #64 of 113

Great reviews, thanks for taking the time to do this! I would have to disagree with you in that I think the TMA-1 is pretty damn ugly, but I'm no hipster tongue.gif

 

I was a bit worried when you kept describing them as "dark" as I thought dark meant boomy upper bass and overly warm lower mids with recessed upper mids and treble, but I'm definitely with you when you say that you prefer a lot of sub bass. In fact, I always bump up everything below 60Hz on my EQ whenever possible. Which ones would you say have the most sub bass?

post #65 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

Great reviews, thanks for taking the time to do this! I would have to disagree with you in that I think the TMA-1 is pretty damn ugly, but I'm no hipster tongue.gif

 

I was a bit worried when you kept describing them as "dark" as I thought dark meant boomy upper bass and overly warm lower mids with recessed upper mids and treble, but I'm definitely with you when you say that you prefer a lot of sub bass. In fact, I always bump up everything below 60Hz on my EQ whenever possible. Which ones would you say have the most sub bass?

 

In terms of sub-bass quantity, I feel it goes something like:

 

Momentum > M50 > UE6000 > MDR-1R > TMA-1 > Z1000

 

So the TMA-1 isn't actually all that dark by my standards, when I generally mean dark to mean more sub-bass vs warm o mean more mid bass. 

 

The TMA-1 just sounds really punchy because of a large emphasis somewhere in the mid-bass. It's the most unbalanced sounding of all of them and works for less musical genres. Darn comfy though.

post #66 of 113

Well, couldn't decide on the Momentum or MDR-1R... so I just ordered both. redface.gif

post #67 of 113

Good review!  I have to agree that the TMA-1 (supposedly short for Tycho Magnetic Anomaly) are *not* balanced and in any way good for monitoring, but they sound oh so goooood.  They're very bassy, but it doesn't drown out the mids or the highs.  My only gripe is not with the earcups, but the headband - it's ********* coming off at the edges.  I may end up epoxying it back on if it gets bad enough.

 

One question: will pairing these with an amp change the sound for the better?

post #68 of 113
Have you heard the dt770-80?
If so how would they compare on this list?
post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Well, couldn't decide on the Momentum or MDR-1R... so I just ordered both. redface.gif

Would love to know your thoughts on the two.
post #70 of 113

hey, i am looking to buy new headphones but i am confused. I am a sennheiser loyalist but i also want something that looks cool for now. I'm confused whether to buy the MDR 1R or the Momentum. I mostly listen to Progressive/Thrash/Hard Rock/Folk adn Acooustic but also sometimes Electronic/Dubstep etc. What do you recommend the most MDR !r, Momentum or Amperior?

post #71 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheer123 View Post

hey, i am looking to buy new headphones but i am confused. I am a sennheiser loyalist but i also want something that looks cool for now. I'm confused whether to buy the MDR 1R or the Momentum. I mostly listen to Progressive/Thrash/Hard Rock/Folk adn Acooustic but also sometimes Electronic/Dubstep etc. What do you recommend the most MDR !r, Momentum or Amperior?

 

I like the MDR-1R for acoustic (because of its gentle sound and atmospheric soundstage) but prefer the Momentum for electronic / dubstep for its precision and better bass response. I understand that the HD25 / Amperior is considered a great rock headphone (a bit too V for me) but I think the Momentum's would be pretty good too. There's those new black Momentums too :3

post #72 of 113

Good Gravy I really hope you do some kind of professional writing - superb job addressing the pertinent info and an entertaining delivery...made me chuckle (okay, smile)...Many Thanks biggrin.gif

post #73 of 113

mdr-z1000 for $300 , what you think ? is it really better then m50 ?

post #74 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekrautdog View Post

Good Gravy I really hope you do some kind of professional writing - superb job addressing the pertinent info and an entertaining delivery...made me chuckle (okay, smile)...Many Thanks biggrin.gif

 

You are quite welcome! Thanks for the kind words.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman134 View Post

mdr-z1000 for $300 , what you think ? is it really better then m50 ?

 

I reckon for $300 I'd get the MDR-1R or the Momentums.

post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

I reckon for $300 I'd get the MDR-1R or the Momentums.

 

       1R is still to come and asking of momentum is at $455 . i think i sould wait for the price to settle down .

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S, Momentum, UE6000, MDR-1R