check out the helpful glossary
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAIAIAI TMA-1 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 12/13/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 12/13/12
- productLogitech UE 6000tagged by System, 12/13/12
- productSennheiser Momentumtagged by System, 12/13/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 12/13/12
- productSony MDR-Z1000tagged by System, 12/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Need Help Finding Headphones Last post on 12/26/12 at 2:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need opinions: KG550 vs Sennheiser Momentum vs HD-598 vs UE6000 vs Custom One Pro vs DT 770 vs... Last post on 11/10/13 at 10:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dear Head-Fi, I need help choosing my first pair of high quality headphones. Last post on 10/1/13 at 9:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Full-size headphone dilemma Help Last post on 9/17/13 at 8:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New guy looking for full sized phones. Last post on 4/11/13 at 9:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
The Awei Q9s are really bang for bucks! You can't go wrong with these! Unless you have tiny ears... Packaging: the packaging is standard. It brings the S/M/L tips and a shirt-clip. However, the...
I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and...
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
Sony almost always delivers when it comes to good quality audio products and these headphones are a great example. These headphones fit quit well and have different size plugs depending on what...
This is a review for the Shure SE315's, first a little about myself I don't consider myself a hard core audiophile like most people on this site. I am 38 years old and I am just your everyday...
[REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S,... - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sorry if that's confusing!
Dark tends to mean any of the following:
- As stated directly above, bigger emphasis on sub-bass
- At times it could also mean the mid-bass emphasis (think veiling... Too much veiling darkens details)
- It can also refer to the lack of treble (and thus the lower-range is more emphasized).
Bright tends to lean towards a focus on the upper-mids to the upper-highs.
Ah for me, if a headphone has great sub-bass detail I would usually just say that it extends very deep. It can get confusing but yes I've used/seen dark/bright, in regards to treble. gotta love these terms. Thanks for the clarification! :)
Audio terms are always a bit blurry; for me I use darker to mean a stronger sub-bass presence (compared to warmer, which to means a stronger mid-bass tilt). I tend to think that things can be dark while having a treble peak, which would also be considered a v shape.
Sorry if that's confusing!
That cleared things up.
For me, I think of it as dark because a large sub-bass quantity makes a headphone sound very solid and grounded. The image that always comes to mind is stone scraping against stone - cavernous, massive and shadowy, hence why I end up choosing dark lol.
Certainly the terms are fun, but often times unhelpful. I suspect half the arguments in Head Fi start because the terms are not being used consistently, but this will always occur in any highly subjective hobby where we attempt to describe a sense (sound) with signifiers (language).
Sometimes that is why I think headphone reviews are useful if they are comparisons with other headphones; and this is marginally helpful at best unless you have heard one of the models being compared. This is also all the more relevant considering the purpose of a headphone review is generally assessing the opportunity cost of buying a headphone - ie: not, "how good is this headphone for x dollars", but "am I better off buying headphone A or headphone B with my x dollars".
Then again, some people (like me) also buy headphones for the experiential aspect: ie, they are not looking for the best / relative performance, they are looking for the specific experience that the headphone might give them given the context of the technology, the design, the company history, emotional attachments etc. For instance, I'm particularly interested in the MDR-1R not just because its a good consumer headphone in a competitive category, but because it represents Sony's interpretation of 'the times' in evolving the technology used in the Z1000.
It's like the difference between thinking "I want to watch a film" and then choosing a film to watch because you have heard it's pretty good, and specifically going to watch a film because you know the directors or the actors and you want to see how they approach this fresh new narrative.
In the first case you might be disappointed because you feel you chose the wrong film on the day, but in the second case you might be disappointed in the film, but never your choice.
I think it's because I posted this in the portable subforum whereas the Momentum / MDR-1R discussion seems to be taking place in the full size forum...
Oops! Thanks. Brain fart.
Tremendous effort and absolutely gorgeous reviews. Thanks a lot for your time. Love your style and looking forward to more from you.
K267 when they get released, perhaps? I know, you already made up your mind, etc. (ish)
Edited by Andrew_WOT - 12/12/12 at 9:50pm
- [REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S, Momentum, UE6000, MDR-1R
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 5 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 23 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 48 seconds ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! 2 minutes ago
- › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sharing Photos of my Collection 2 minutes ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones 2 minutes ago
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › Koss KDX200 by vaziyetu
- › Brainwavz M5 by vaziyetu
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)