check out the helpful glossary
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAIAIAI TMA-1 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 12/13/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 12/13/12
- productLogitech UE 6000tagged by System, 12/13/12
- productSennheiser Momentumtagged by System, 12/13/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 12/13/12
- productSony MDR-Z1000tagged by System, 12/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Need Help Finding Headphones Last post on 12/26/12 at 2:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need opinions: KG550 vs Sennheiser Momentum vs HD-598 vs UE6000 vs Custom One Pro vs DT 770 vs... Last post on 11/10/13 at 10:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Full-size headphone dilemma Help Last post on 9/17/13 at 8:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Momentum too small, what now... UE6000/9000? Last post on 4/4/13 at 10:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Favorite Over Ear Headphones For Library Setting Last post on 4/3/13 at 9:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
[REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S,... - Page 3post #31 of 11312/12/12 at 2:51pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 11312/12/12 at 3:18pmThread StarterAudio terms are always a bit blurry; for me I use darker to mean a stronger sub-bass presence (compared to warmer, which to means a stronger mid-bass tilt). I tend to think that things can be dark while having a treble peak, which would also be considered a v shape.
Sorry if that's confusing!post #33 of 11312/12/12 at 3:29pm
Dark tends to mean any of the following:
- As stated directly above, bigger emphasis on sub-bass
- At times it could also mean the mid-bass emphasis (think veiling... Too much veiling darkens details)
- It can also refer to the lack of treble (and thus the lower-range is more emphasized).
Bright tends to lean towards a focus on the upper-mids to the upper-highs.post #34 of 11312/12/12 at 3:36pm
Ah for me, if a headphone has great sub-bass detail I would usually just say that it extends very deep. It can get confusing but yes I've used/seen dark/bright, in regards to treble. gotta love these terms. Thanks for the clarification! :)post #35 of 11312/12/12 at 3:57pmQuote:Thank you.Originally Posted by a_recording
Audio terms are always a bit blurry; for me I use darker to mean a stronger sub-bass presence (compared to warmer, which to means a stronger mid-bass tilt). I tend to think that things can be dark while having a treble peak, which would also be considered a v shape.
Sorry if that's confusing!
That cleared things up.post #36 of 11312/12/12 at 4:15pmThread Starter
For me, I think of it as dark because a large sub-bass quantity makes a headphone sound very solid and grounded. The image that always comes to mind is stone scraping against stone - cavernous, massive and shadowy, hence why I end up choosing dark lol.
Certainly the terms are fun, but often times unhelpful. I suspect half the arguments in Head Fi start because the terms are not being used consistently, but this will always occur in any highly subjective hobby where we attempt to describe a sense (sound) with signifiers (language).
Sometimes that is why I think headphone reviews are useful if they are comparisons with other headphones; and this is marginally helpful at best unless you have heard one of the models being compared. This is also all the more relevant considering the purpose of a headphone review is generally assessing the opportunity cost of buying a headphone - ie: not, "how good is this headphone for x dollars", but "am I better off buying headphone A or headphone B with my x dollars".
Then again, some people (like me) also buy headphones for the experiential aspect: ie, they are not looking for the best / relative performance, they are looking for the specific experience that the headphone might give them given the context of the technology, the design, the company history, emotional attachments etc. For instance, I'm particularly interested in the MDR-1R not just because its a good consumer headphone in a competitive category, but because it represents Sony's interpretation of 'the times' in evolving the technology used in the Z1000.
It's like the difference between thinking "I want to watch a film" and then choosing a film to watch because you have heard it's pretty good, and specifically going to watch a film because you know the directors or the actors and you want to see how they approach this fresh new narrative.
In the first case you might be disappointed because you feel you chose the wrong film on the day, but in the second case you might be disappointed in the film, but never your choice.post #37 of 11312/12/12 at 4:56pmVery nice analogy and beautiful stated, couldn't agree more on all that you said and I also was very interested in getting the 1R because of the Z1K. For me it resolved some issues that I had with the Z1K while adding a slightly warmer, more musical flavor.post #38 of 11312/12/12 at 4:59pmBtw another headphone to check out for your review is the new AKG K167. Just got them today and I am very impressed at the price point ($200 - but some people have been saying that the SQ is more like a $500 pair of headphones. YMMV)post #39 of 11312/12/12 at 6:29pmpost #40 of 11312/12/12 at 7:44pmThread Starterpost #41 of 11312/12/12 at 8:14pmpost #42 of 11312/12/12 at 8:21pmThread StarterQuote:
I think it's because I posted this in the portable subforum whereas the Momentum / MDR-1R discussion seems to be taking place in the full size forum...post #43 of 11312/12/12 at 8:42pmpost #44 of 11312/12/12 at 8:54pmThread StarterQuote:
Oops! Thanks. Brain fart.post #45 of 11312/12/12 at 9:48pm
Tremendous effort and absolutely gorgeous reviews. Thanks a lot for your time. Love your style and looking forward to more from you.
K267 when they get released, perhaps? I know, you already made up your mind, etc. (ish)
Edited by Andrew_WOT - 12/12/12 at 9:50pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S, Momentum, UE6000, MDR-1R
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › ATH-M50x, ATH-M40x, V-moda crossfade M80 or Sennheiser PX 360? 9 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 22 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 41 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 2 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 3 minutes ago
- › On USB audio: a case against USB 3 , "audiophile" USB cables, etc... 5 minutes ago
- › IC/FS/FT: Denon AH-D2000, Fostex TH-600 5 minutes ago
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob