Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › My portable amp set ups
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My portable amp set ups

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I'm excited to finally have my portable amp set ups complete! (with the help from Head-Fiers) Just thought I'd share!

 

My portable amp set up:


700700

 

700

 

And now my pocketable amp set up:

 

700

 

700

post #2 of 9
Is that cute....
What do you think about E11?
I'm just going back and forth between E11 and cmoyBB...any comments is appreciated...
Edited by guyuemuziye - 12/6/12 at 5:10pm
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

The E11 is great. I do get a little hiss from it but thats due to me using it with my Westones 4 which dont really need an amp to drive. Same hiss when I use them with my UE 4PRO customs. I'm sure the hiss will disappear with headphones that actually require the amp.

I mainly use it with my UE4 to add a little of bass, since I find them lacking a bit. The bass boost isn't necessary with the W4, but really sounds amazing with some songs. I've never heard the cmoyBB so I cant comment about comparisons between the two. Hope this helps

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenavar View Post

The E11 is great. I do get a little hiss from it but thats due to me using it with my Westones 4 which dont really need an amp to drive. Same hiss when I use them with my UE 4PRO customs. I'm sure the hiss will disappear with headphones that actually require the amp.

I mainly use it with my UE4 to add a little of bass, since I find them lacking a bit. The bass boost isn't necessary with the W4, but really sounds amazing with some songs. I've never heard the cmoyBB so I cant comment about comparisons between the two. Hope this helps

 

Don't let anyone fool you: An amp that hisses is defective.

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Even on sensitive iems?
Both my FIIO E11 and E6 hiss a little bit. More noticeable on the E11
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenavar View Post

Even on sensitive iems?
Both my FIIO E11 and E6 hiss a little bit. More noticeable on the E11

 

Hiss is (probably) due to

 

  • damaged caused after manufacturing; or
  • defective parts used in manufacturing; or
  • defective design.

 

An amp that makes "a little hiss" is like a car that makes "a little smoke" or a toilet which has "a little backup." If your FiiO amps hiss, it's an excellent reason to stop buying FiiO products. If people buy bad appliances, manufactures will keep selling them.

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

Hiss is (probably) due to

 

  • damaged caused after manufacturing; or
  • defective parts used in manufacturing; or
  • defective design.

 

An amp that makes "a little hiss" is like a car that makes "a little smoke" or a toilet which has "a little backup." If your FiiO amps hiss, it's an excellent reason to stop buying FiiO products. If people buy bad appliances, manufactures will keep selling them.

Almost every review or "first impressions" I've read points that the E11 will hiss with sensitive iems. I don't notice it when using full sized headphones, for example the Sony XB500. These are only only 40 ohm, and I cant hear the hiss while using them, I can only imagine with higher impedance headphones no one can hear the hiss

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenavar View Post
Almost every review or "first impressions" I've read points that the E11 will hiss with sensitive iems. I don't notice it when using full sized headphones, for example the Sony XB500. These are only only 40 ohm, and I cant hear the hiss while using them, I can only imagine with higher impedance headphones no one can hear the hiss

 

The advantage of FiiO equipment is the relatively low cost. The reports I'm reading here indicate the penalty is hiss (apparently inaudible with less-sensitive headphones.) But every amplifier has some "noise floor''. It's inescapable because that's how all electronic equipment works.

 

In my opinion, one of a designer's jobs is to make that noise inaudible. OTOH, a designer may choose, knowingly, to allow noise into their design because to eliminate it raises the cost beyond an acceptable level. I didn't think of this in my original "it must be broken" post. That was a mistake.

 

If the listener can't hear the noise or is willing to accept it for whatever reason, it's really their choice. I wouldn't buy an amp like this, but who cares?

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
I a
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

The advantage of FiiO equipment is the relatively low cost. The reports I'm reading here indicate the penalty is hiss (apparently inaudible with less-sensitive headphones.) But every amplifier has some "noise floor''. It's inescapable because that's how all electronic equipment works.

In my opinion, one of a designer's jobs is to make that noise inaudible. OTOH, a designer may choose, knowingly, to allow noise into their design because to eliminate it raises the cost beyond an acceptable level. I didn't think of this in my original "it must be broken" post. That was a mistake.

If the listener can't hear the noise or is willing to accept it for whatever reason, it's really their choice. I wouldn't buy an amp like this, but who cares?

I agree. I'm sure FIIO 'allowed' this to keep costs low, and as you mentioned, if the user can't hear it, then they wouldn't care. For me, once music begin playing, the hiss is shadowed, only noticeable if my iems are plugged in and no music is coming through the amp.

Once I have a decent set of headphones that actually require an amp, then yes, you bet I'll look into better quality amps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › My portable amp set ups