Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote) - Page 19

Poll Results: If you could only keep one...?

 
  • 44% (113)
    HE500
  • 55% (142)
    LCD2 (either rev)
255 Total Votes  
post #271 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Not for me.  I listen to Rap music analytically and with a passion so I like my bass tight and accurate.  I find the LCD-3/2, HE-6 /500 to some of the best headphones for rap.  The Denons bass is to sloppy for my taste.  Maybe after the MarkL mod my view will change.

Unlikely. It does improve them by removing a lot of the sloppy resonances, but the bass still has the same fundamental sound to it. You'd probably like the bass in the D600's better, but those have a whole slew of other problems...

post #272 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblique63 View Post

Unlikely. It does improve them by removing a lot of the sloppy resonances, but the bass still has the same fundamental sound to it. You'd probably like the bass in the D600's better, but those have a whole slew of other problems...

 



I don't know.  I was about to sell my D5000's as they weren't getting any use anymore, until I put some J$ pads on them last week.  I feel it really tamed a lot of the problems with the bass and have been loving them.  I guess I just needed the bass to bleed a little less.

post #273 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblique63 View Post

Unlikely. It does improve them by removing a lot of the sloppy resonances, but the bass still has the same fundamental sound to it. You'd probably like the bass in the D600's better, but those have a whole slew of other problems...

 

i love the bass on my modded d7000s, but the highs tend to be sibilant especially at louder volumes.

post #274 of 491

I was completely set on an LCD-2, but now TTVJ has the HE-500's on sale for $630.

That is a $370 difference! 

 

I don't really like the HD600 sound and I hear the HE-500's are like a better version of the 600's.

But my question is, for the kind of music I listen to, will the LCD-2 clearly be better?  or does the HE-500 do these genres well also?

Artists like:  Paramore, Flyleaf, the academy is..., violin solos. 

a bunch of pop like Katy Perry and avril lavigne.  and some emo stuff like all time low, mayday parade, never shout never.

 

a general example of what I listen to the most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdCeWoEH1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccKV1X9uyP4

along with violin/classical.

 

thanks!


Edited by CSGO rice - 2/12/13 at 5:48am
post #275 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGO rice View Post

I was completely set on an LCD-2, but now TTVJ has the HE-500's on sale for $630.

That is a $370 difference! 

 

I don't really like the HD600 sound and I hear the HE-500's are like a better version of the 600's.

But my question is, for the kind of music I listen to, will the LCD-2 clearly be better?  or does the HE-500 do these genres well also?

Artists like:  Paramore, Flyleaf, the academy is..., violin solos. 

a bunch of pop like Katy Perry and avril lavigne.  and some emo stuff like all time low, mayday parade, never shout never.

 

a general example of what I listen to the most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdCeWoEH1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccKV1X9uyP4

along with violin/classical.

 

thanks!

 

Yea I just listened to these with HE-500. It works out quite nicely. For slower and moderate paced genres, I think the HE-500 has the advantage. Get them first and then the LCD-2s, it worked out quite nicely for me.

post #276 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Yea I just listened to these with HE-500. It works out quite nicely. For slower and moderate paced genres, I think the HE-500 has the advantage. Get them first and then the LCD-2s, it worked out quite nicely for me.

 

 

Zoom,

 

Is the mini X your main amp for the LCDs?

post #277 of 491

Posted this in another thread. $600 is my absolute maximum limit. Should I go for a decently amped HD 650 at that price or an unamped HE-500.

post #278 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

Posted this in another thread. $600 is my absolute maximum limit. Should I go for a decently amped HD 650 at that price or an unamped HE-500.

 

 

This

post #279 of 491
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

This

+1

 

The 650 with a good amp can be a brilliant set up that can last you years. It did me. The HE500's are a great headphone but the power requirements and quality source are essential in getting the best out of it, and that is going to set you back a lot more money in the long run. A good headphone is only as good as its source.  

post #280 of 491

I'm not so sure.  I know we all like our amps and fancy sources, but I was surprised at how good the HE-500 sounded straight out of my phone and my little portable amps. I've heard the HD-650 and it's nice, but I'd recommend to get the best headphone you can get straight away and then maybe think about other stuff later.  You don't need a lot of really expensive equipment for the HE-500 to sound good.  And I definitely think the HE-500 is the better headphone.

post #281 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

I'm not so sure.  I know we all like our amps and fancy sources, but I was surprised at how good the HE-500 sounded straight out of my phone and my little portable amps. I've heard the HD-650 and it's nice, but I'd recommend to get the best headphone you can get straight away and then maybe think about other stuff later.  You don't need a lot of really expensive equipment for the HE-500 to sound good.  And I definitely think the HE-500 is the better headphone.

 

 

I see you underestimate the value of a good amp when compared to say your phone and your little portable amps. 


Edited by preproman - 2/12/13 at 11:59am
post #282 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

Posted this in another thread. $600 is my absolute maximum limit. Should I go for a decently amped HD 650 at that price or an unamped HE-500.

 

 

What about the HE-400?  I heard it for a bit last week and it was quite nice.  I preferred it to me HD650 (which i really don't use much at all these days).

post #283 of 491

That's like would you rather have an HD800 amped or an SR-009 unamped. Or, er, something or another. tongue.gif

post #284 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

I see you underestimate the value of a good amp when compared to say your phone and your little portable amps. 

 

I don't think so.  I consider my Violectric V200 to be a 'good amp'.  And it is very nice.  But I definitely think we tend to overestimate the value of a good amp and source on these forums.  The differences between amps and sources are very subtle compared to the differences between headphones, in my albeit limited experience.

post #285 of 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

 

I don't think so.  I consider my Violectric V200 to be a 'good amp'.  And it is very nice.  But I definitely think we tend to overestimate the value of a good amp and source on these forums.  The differences between amps and sources are very subtle compared to the differences between headphones, in my albeit limited experience.

 

You have good experience with the V200 - correct?  Now, I would say take a listen to say the Mjolnir.  I think you will see the differences can be more than subtle - at times.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)