Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › New to Classical Music - advice?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New to Classical Music - advice? - Page 5

post #61 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

I have four of the Rise of the Masters sets so far.

 

The funny thing is, I just searched Amazon for "powdered wig" and they carry the head gear too if anyone wants to dress appropriately! biggrin.gif

 

Awaiting your review before I take the plunge! biggrin.gif

 

And my two Bach Guild CD's are coming in as we speak thanks to Mitch. Can't thank you enough mate! :)

post #62 of 109

I just hit the classical Jack Pot..  Are these really this cheap?  Started downloading.  My Library is really going to grow now.

 

 

400

post #63 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I just hit the classical Jack Pot..  Are these really this cheap?  Started downloading.  My Library is really going to grow now.

 

 

400

Yep, and even cheaper in US.

These are great indeed, whole compositions and not a mix and match of everything.

The SQ is very good as well and if Bigshot says they are performed by good orchestras then this is the good stuff.

I got me the whole Rise series completed with the missing composers from the 99 series and Mahler from the Bach Guild.

post #64 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleheadMay View Post

Yep, and even cheaper in US.

These are great indeed, whole compositions and not a mix and match of everything.

The SQ is very good as well and if Bigshot says they are performed by good orchestras then this is the good stuff.

I got me the whole Rise series completed with the missing composers from the 99 series and Mahler from the Bach Guild.

 

You say you got all of the Rise of the Masters series downloaded.  

 

And now your missing some?  

post #65 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

You say you got all of the Rise of the Masters series downloaded.  

 

And now your missing some?  

There are some composers that are in the 99 series but not in the Masters series.

And there is Mahler that is only in the Bach Guild series but not the other series.

post #66 of 109

OK,  I understand now.

post #67 of 109

Can someone confirm there's 11 individual cd's in the Master series?  No including that compilation cd.

post #68 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Can someone confirm there's 11 individual cd's in the Master series?  No including that compilation cd.

 

Do you really mean "CDs" ? Aren't you referring to MP3 download products and not "CDs" ? confused.gif

post #69 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

 

Do you really mean "CDs" ? Aren't you referring to MP3 download products and not "CDs" ? confused.gif

 

 

No I mean the Albums, Cd's or what ever you want to call it.  The collection of a group of tracks.  They can be mp3's, Flacs, or whatever.  


Edited by preproman - 12/23/12 at 8:34am
post #70 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

No I mean the Albums, Cd's or what ever you want to call it.  The collection of a group of tracks.  They can be mp3's, Flacs, or whatever.  

 

Okay, I see 11 MP3 collections by composer in the Rise of the Masters series on Amazon plus the compilation one. I purchased via MP3 download the compilation one, plus the Bach, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky sets from the Rise of the Masters series.

post #71 of 109

OK thanks,  I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anybiggrin.gif

 

When do they start to overlap in tracks?

post #72 of 109

I don't think they overlap at all if you buy the 11 different composer sets because each one is by composer. The only one that would overlap is the compilation one because it contains tracks from the other 11 sets. In other words, if you buy all 11 composer sets, then you should get 1100 unique tracks and you won't need the compilation one.

 

I haven't verified all of that on a track-by-track basis since we are talking about a huge number of tracks, but that is my understanding.

post #73 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

I don't think they overlap at all if you buy the 11 different composer sets because each one is by composer. The only one that would overlap is the compilation one because it contains tracks from the other 11 sets. In other words, if you buy all 11 composer sets, then you should get 1100 unique tracks and you won't need the compilation one.

 

I haven't verified all of that on a track-by-track basis since we are talking about a huge number of tracks, but that is my understanding.

 

 

OK  that sounds about right.

 

What I should have ask was.  Are there any overlap between the Master series and the 99 series and the  Bach Guild series?

post #74 of 109

BTW, folks, after downloading this one:

 

 

...I noticed that some of the tracks play much quieter than most of my digital music files. I first noticed this particularly with tracks 55-78 which are The Nutcracker by Bonn Classical Philharmonic and Heribert Beissel. When I first downloaded this, I really had to turn the volume up on those tracks compared with most other music I have.

 

I use foobar2000 as my desktop player. I always knew it had extensive Replay Gain features, but I never really felt the need to experiment with those features. However, I took the time to apply Replay Gain data to this entire Tchaikovsky collection. It really made a nice difference for me and corrected the wide variance between the levels on different tracks in this collection. Here's some further reading if anyone's confused about what I'm talking about:

 

http://www.bobulous.org.uk/misc/Replay-Gain.html 

post #75 of 109

I use J. River 18.  Upon any new tracks imported into the library they get analyzed and the Replay Gain gets embedded into the tag.  I just had a listen to the tracks you mentioned.  I didn't have to adjust the volume knob at all.  I guess Replay Gain does work..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › New to Classical Music - advice?