Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser 558 vs. 518?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser 558 vs. 518?

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 

I am a total audio noob and I know almost nothing about headphones. I just want the best headphones that I can get for listening to rock music (mostly from iPods/phones) for <~$175. I was thinking about the Sennheiser 558's or 518's just based on a little bit of research, but I'm happy to take any suggestions you all might have.


Edited by kpasa - 12/4/12 at 5:47pm
post #2 of 32
Following topic smily_headphones1.gif
post #3 of 32
post #4 of 32

Here is the frequency response difference:

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2841&graphID[]=2861

 

To my ear they are almost identical.

post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur View Post

Here is the frequency response difference:

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2841&graphID[]=2861

 

To my ear they are almost identical.


I can not understand it :(

post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by glunteer View Post


I can not understand it :(

     From left to right is bass and treble. the higher the lines are closer to the left, the more bass there is measured. the lines in the middle are the mid range, like vocals and guitars. and the lines at the right are the treble. the higher that is, the more PERCEIVED detail there will be, and also the more fatiguing it will be.  

 

     The Hd558 and 518 are dark and smooth. you might want something a bit more lively for rock. 

You may want to go for something like the AD900x, but it is more expensive than the other two,and the bass may be a bit light, but it may be better for rock.

post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallade475 View Post

     From left to right is bass and treble. the higher the lines are closer to the left, the more bass there is measured. the lines in the middle are the mid range, like vocals and guitars. and the lines at the right are the treble. the higher that is, the more PERCEIVED detail there will be, and also the more fatiguing it will be.  

 

     The Hd558 and 518 are dark and smooth. you might want something a bit more lively for rock. 

You may want to go for something like the AD900x, but it is more expensive than the other two,and the bass may be a bit light, but it may be better for rock.

I do not know if getting a hd 558, miss the bass ... The DT 770 has much bass?

post #8 of 32

If rock music is all you listen to... I'd recommend you take a look at the Grado lineup of headphones.  The SR60i is a pretty good place to start with a new hobby.  I'm not sure if you need closed back headphones or not.  If you have your heart set on the Sennheisers I'd say go with the 558.  With a bit of work you can make them sound much like their older brother. (598)  

 

Anyway.  Welcome to head-fi.  Sorry about the wallet. 

post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMushroom View Post

If rock music is all you listen to... I'd recommend you take a look at the Grado lineup of headphones.  The SR60i is a pretty good place to start with a new hobby.  I'm not sure if you need closed back headphones or not.  If you have your heart set on the Sennheisers I'd say go with the 558.  With a bit of work you can make them sound much like their older brother. (598)  

 

Anyway.  Welcome to head-fi.  Sorry about the wallet. 


^^

 

I need headphones open and comfortable ... I listen to all kinds of music, rock is not my main ... I'm really in doubt, because I did not get any testing and I spend a lot of money on them

post #10 of 32

You can find the beyerdynamic dt990 pro for the ripe low price of 170 dollars. A true deal it is. It has way better build quality and durability than the Plastastic Sennheisers for sure. They are not as easy to drive though, at 250 Ohms. They are however, superior for rock. It has a v shaped sound to it, so you may find the guitars are a bit "thinner" than usual, but they respond well to an equalizer. Just tone down the 60-100 hz band on your equalizer if you have one. 

post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallade475 View Post

You can find the beyerdynamic dt990 pro for the ripe low price of 170 dollars. A true deal it is. It has way better build quality and durability than the Plastastic Sennheisers for sure. They are not as easy to drive though, at 250 Ohms. They are however, superior for rock. It has a v shaped sound to it, so you may find the guitars are a bit "thinner" than usual, but they respond well to an equalizer. Just tone down the 60-100 hz band on your equalizer if you have one. 

my fiio e11 + asus xonar dx would be good? or need the o2?

post #12 of 32

yes it will sound great on your setup. no need for the o2 unless you feel the need for something big.

post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallade475 View Post

yes it will sound great on your setup. no need for the o2 unless you feel the need for something big.


a friend of mine recommended the Ultrasone DJ1 or HFI-580 ... headphones are so many, I am very confused :(

post #14 of 32

I just got a pair of 558's and can say that they are an excellent pair of cans. Better than my 595's ever were, especially the low end. For the sake of comparison, I own or have owned the DT990s, HD595's, M50's, K550's, and A900X and the HD558's are easily the best here when it comes to price/performance ratio.

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

I just got a pair of 558's and can say that they are an excellent pair of cans. Better than my 595's ever were, especially the low end. For the sake of comparison, I own or have owned the DT990s, HD595's, M50's, K550's, and A900X and the HD558's are easily the best here when it comes to price/performance ratio.


are so many that you're confused ... each speaks one thing ... but your review convinced me ... ^ ^

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser 558 vs. 518?