Hey guys, B&H is having both of these cans on sale and I've been conflicting opinions on them. First of all, which of the 2 leaks more sound outside? Also, are both equally clear, with the Pro 900 being boomier in bass? My problem is that I'm in Canada and the sale is in NYC. My friend will be going in to pick up whichever I choose so I won't have a chance to test before buying. =\ I listen mostly to a mix of classic rock, metal, classic, R&B, acoustic, and hip hop.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- audio-technica athm50 vs beyerdynamic dt770 pro80 vs ultrasone hfi780 vs ? Last post on 9/13/12 at 10:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- V-MODA M100 VS HD25-1 ii VS HFI 780 VS PRO 900 VS SRH-840. Last post on 4/5/13 at 12:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ultrasone HFI 780 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. ATH-M50 vs. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Last post on 2/28/13 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 6/30/15
Introduction:The newest member of Noble Audio’s line of IEMs, the Savant, has taken Head-Fi by storm and has caught the attention of many eager Head-Fier – myself included. Noble’s reputation for...
These headphones will let you know if your source is good or not. I won't repeat much of the pros and cons of this headphone that hasn't already been said. These are really comfortable for...
Out-of-box experience.....Accessories and packaging Receiving and unboxing the RHA T20 gives the impression that this product is not just "some" product. Everything signals quality and thought....
Firstly, like to thank Billy from Busisoft for organising the Westone UM PRO 10 for this review. Westone needs no introduction, they are one of the industry leaders for professional monitors...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Which Ultrasone, PRO 900 or HFI-780?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Given your preferences, you might be better pleased with the HFI-780, despite the Pro 900 being technically superior. The HFI-780 is more balanced, which makes him handle a wider range of genres better.
However, they are very differently priced. What prices did you find for each?
Well, the HFI-780 is at its regular price, but the Pro 900 is at a good price, below what people usually get them for.
Here's the thing, the Pro 900 are a very impactful set, even moreso than the HFI-780, being more V-shaped and very detailed due to its titanium drivers. They have an emphasized bass presence with higher quality bass, compared to both the HFI-780 and the headphones you listed, and due to the fast drivers, the bass doesn't bleed into the rest of the frequency range. However, the treble is emphasized as well, and you might want to EQ the treble down a bit.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Pro 900 are one set that benefits a lot from burn in, with some people recommending a 400 hours burn-in. I personally found the biggest differences to occur between 60 and 80 hours, with treble smoothing nicely from that point onwards.
Classic and acoustic is where the Pro 900 don't shine that much, as despite the emphasized bass and treble, they are still bright sounding.
Bottomline, for most of the genres you listen to, the Pro 900 will do a good job, but not for all, and they do have a particular signature of their own.
Have you looked into brands beyond Ultrasone? Ultrasone sort of fits a niche since their headphones are very bright, even the supposedly dark hfi-2200 which I owned was quite bright in the upper range and somewhat fatiguing. I've been told they are somewhat intended for acoustic music and this is where they seriously shine. However, you might not like them for metal or hip-hop since those genres typically have more treble energy.
I've mostly been using cans that are more neutral and wanted to get a bass heavy pair. Based on all the snooping I've done and what I'm looking for this is what I've decided on. But is there something else you had in mind?
- Which Ultrasone, PRO 900 or HFI-780?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 31 seconds ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Objectivists board room 1 minute ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 2 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Savant by Cotnijoe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by snellemin
- › Don Scorpio sMushroom HD Bluetooth iem by Baycode
- › RHA T20 by rasmushorn
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by pformagg
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)