Hey guys, B&H is having both of these cans on sale and I've been conflicting opinions on them. First of all, which of the 2 leaks more sound outside? Also, are both equally clear, with the Pro 900 being boomier in bass? My problem is that I'm in Canada and the sale is in NYC. My friend will be going in to pick up whichever I choose so I won't have a chance to test before buying. =\ I listen mostly to a mix of classic rock, metal, classic, R&B, acoustic, and hip hop.
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- audio-technica athm50 vs beyerdynamic dt770 pro80 vs ultrasone hfi780 vs ? Last post on 9/13/12 at 10:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI 780 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. ATH-M50 vs. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Last post on 2/28/13 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Monster Inspiration ??? Last post on 9/14/13 at 4:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
This is gonna be a simple review BASS For a $7 in ear it is actually really good. A little overbearing at times but quite articulate considering the price. MIDS They are not airy and vocals by...
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able...
My comprehensive review of the Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones BURN-IN TIME - Took about 3-4 days to burn in so maybe 12 or so hours for me Upon receiving these as a gift for my birthday (so I...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Which Ultrasone, PRO 900 or HFI-780?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Given your preferences, you might be better pleased with the HFI-780, despite the Pro 900 being technically superior. The HFI-780 is more balanced, which makes him handle a wider range of genres better.
However, they are very differently priced. What prices did you find for each?
Well, the HFI-780 is at its regular price, but the Pro 900 is at a good price, below what people usually get them for.
Here's the thing, the Pro 900 are a very impactful set, even moreso than the HFI-780, being more V-shaped and very detailed due to its titanium drivers. They have an emphasized bass presence with higher quality bass, compared to both the HFI-780 and the headphones you listed, and due to the fast drivers, the bass doesn't bleed into the rest of the frequency range. However, the treble is emphasized as well, and you might want to EQ the treble down a bit.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Pro 900 are one set that benefits a lot from burn in, with some people recommending a 400 hours burn-in. I personally found the biggest differences to occur between 60 and 80 hours, with treble smoothing nicely from that point onwards.
Classic and acoustic is where the Pro 900 don't shine that much, as despite the emphasized bass and treble, they are still bright sounding.
Bottomline, for most of the genres you listen to, the Pro 900 will do a good job, but not for all, and they do have a particular signature of their own.
Have you looked into brands beyond Ultrasone? Ultrasone sort of fits a niche since their headphones are very bright, even the supposedly dark hfi-2200 which I owned was quite bright in the upper range and somewhat fatiguing. I've been told they are somewhat intended for acoustic music and this is where they seriously shine. However, you might not like them for metal or hip-hop since those genres typically have more treble energy.
I've mostly been using cans that are more neutral and wanted to get a bass heavy pair. Based on all the snooping I've done and what I'm looking for this is what I've decided on. But is there something else you had in mind?
- Which Ultrasone, PRO 900 or HFI-780?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › NAD D1050 VS Xonar STX 39 seconds ago
- › Matrix Quattro amp: unboxing and initial impressions 1 minute ago
- › Valhalla 2 review coming soon! 1 minute ago
- › OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 4 minutes ago
- › Recommendation on DAC/AMP to use with Mad Dogs 4 minutes ago
- › New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP!... 5 minutes ago
- › Q701 - White - Austrian Made - comes with 2 cables. 7 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 7 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Loquah
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)