Hey guys, B&H is having both of these cans on sale and I've been conflicting opinions on them. First of all, which of the 2 leaks more sound outside? Also, are both equally clear, with the Pro 900 being boomier in bass? My problem is that I'm in Canada and the sale is in NYC. My friend will be going in to pick up whichever I choose so I won't have a chance to test before buying. =\ I listen mostly to a mix of classic rock, metal, classic, R&B, acoustic, and hip hop.
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- audio-technica athm50 vs beyerdynamic dt770 pro80 vs ultrasone hfi780 vs ? Last post on 9/13/12 at 10:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI 780 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. ATH-M50 vs. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Last post on 2/28/13 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Monster Inspiration ??? Last post on 9/14/13 at 4:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
Videos only at the moment. I'll do a write-up later. Apologies if you were hoping for something to read. Unboxing and design details: More details about the cables, sound and possible...
Introduction – Read Heath Audio (or RHA for short) are soon to release their latest and greatest earphone, the T10i. Much like the rest of RHA’s products, the T10i’s were designed to offer premium...
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Which Ultrasone, PRO 900 or HFI-780?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Given your preferences, you might be better pleased with the HFI-780, despite the Pro 900 being technically superior. The HFI-780 is more balanced, which makes him handle a wider range of genres better.
However, they are very differently priced. What prices did you find for each?
Well, the HFI-780 is at its regular price, but the Pro 900 is at a good price, below what people usually get them for.
Here's the thing, the Pro 900 are a very impactful set, even moreso than the HFI-780, being more V-shaped and very detailed due to its titanium drivers. They have an emphasized bass presence with higher quality bass, compared to both the HFI-780 and the headphones you listed, and due to the fast drivers, the bass doesn't bleed into the rest of the frequency range. However, the treble is emphasized as well, and you might want to EQ the treble down a bit.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Pro 900 are one set that benefits a lot from burn in, with some people recommending a 400 hours burn-in. I personally found the biggest differences to occur between 60 and 80 hours, with treble smoothing nicely from that point onwards.
Classic and acoustic is where the Pro 900 don't shine that much, as despite the emphasized bass and treble, they are still bright sounding.
Bottomline, for most of the genres you listen to, the Pro 900 will do a good job, but not for all, and they do have a particular signature of their own.
Have you looked into brands beyond Ultrasone? Ultrasone sort of fits a niche since their headphones are very bright, even the supposedly dark hfi-2200 which I owned was quite bright in the upper range and somewhat fatiguing. I've been told they are somewhat intended for acoustic music and this is where they seriously shine. However, you might not like them for metal or hip-hop since those genres typically have more treble energy.
I've mostly been using cans that are more neutral and wanted to get a bass heavy pair. Based on all the snooping I've done and what I'm looking for this is what I've decided on. But is there something else you had in mind?
- Which Ultrasone, PRO 900 or HFI-780?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 seconds ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 32 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 37 seconds ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 1 minute ago
- › best rechargable batteries for Sennheiser RS180? 1 minute ago
- › S.M.S.L M2 DAC First Impressions 1 minute ago
- › In-Depth Comparison: Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitor & Noble... 2 minutes ago
- › Driver distance from mesh? 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)