Hey guys, B&H is having both of these cans on sale and I've been conflicting opinions on them. First of all, which of the 2 leaks more sound outside? Also, are both equally clear, with the Pro 900 being boomier in bass? My problem is that I'm in Canada and the sale is in NYC. My friend will be going in to pick up whichever I choose so I won't have a chance to test before buying. =\ I listen mostly to a mix of classic rock, metal, classic, R&B, acoustic, and hip hop.
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- audio-technica athm50 vs beyerdynamic dt770 pro80 vs ultrasone hfi780 vs ? Last post on 9/13/12 at 10:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI 780 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. ATH-M50 vs. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Last post on 2/28/13 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Monster Inspiration ??? Last post on 9/14/13 at 4:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
Which Ultrasone, PRO 900 or HFI-780?post #1 of 2112/4/12 at 3:57pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2112/4/12 at 4:07pm
Given your preferences, you might be better pleased with the HFI-780, despite the Pro 900 being technically superior. The HFI-780 is more balanced, which makes him handle a wider range of genres better.
However, they are very differently priced. What prices did you find for each?post #3 of 2112/4/12 at 4:07pmThread Starterpost #4 of 2112/4/12 at 4:09pmThread Starterpost #5 of 2112/4/12 at 4:16pm
Well, the HFI-780 is at its regular price, but the Pro 900 is at a good price, below what people usually get them for.
Here's the thing, the Pro 900 are a very impactful set, even moreso than the HFI-780, being more V-shaped and very detailed due to its titanium drivers. They have an emphasized bass presence with higher quality bass, compared to both the HFI-780 and the headphones you listed, and due to the fast drivers, the bass doesn't bleed into the rest of the frequency range. However, the treble is emphasized as well, and you might want to EQ the treble down a bit.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Pro 900 are one set that benefits a lot from burn in, with some people recommending a 400 hours burn-in. I personally found the biggest differences to occur between 60 and 80 hours, with treble smoothing nicely from that point onwards.
Classic and acoustic is where the Pro 900 don't shine that much, as despite the emphasized bass and treble, they are still bright sounding.
Bottomline, for most of the genres you listen to, the Pro 900 will do a good job, but not for all, and they do have a particular signature of their own.post #6 of 2112/4/12 at 4:24pmThread Starterpost #7 of 2112/4/12 at 4:27pmpost #8 of 2112/4/12 at 4:30pmThread Starterpost #9 of 2112/4/12 at 4:31pmpost #10 of 2112/4/12 at 4:33pmpost #11 of 2112/5/12 at 8:16amThread Starterpost #12 of 2112/5/12 at 8:48ampost #13 of 2112/5/12 at 9:06am
Have you looked into brands beyond Ultrasone? Ultrasone sort of fits a niche since their headphones are very bright, even the supposedly dark hfi-2200 which I owned was quite bright in the upper range and somewhat fatiguing. I've been told they are somewhat intended for acoustic music and this is where they seriously shine. However, you might not like them for metal or hip-hop since those genres typically have more treble energy.post #14 of 2112/5/12 at 10:20amThread Starter
I've mostly been using cans that are more neutral and wanted to get a bass heavy pair. Based on all the snooping I've done and what I'm looking for this is what I've decided on. But is there something else you had in mind?post #15 of 2112/5/12 at 10:21amThread Starter
- Which Ultrasone, PRO 900 or HFI-780?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › *Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC 2 minutes ago
- › FS: JDS Labs O2 Amplifier (w/ Rechargeable Batteries and Adapter) 3 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › Blox TM7 (Discussion + Reviews) 3 minutes ago
- › Westone ES5 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 800 ------It's your Hi-end! and a SA5000 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 5 minutes ago
- › The ATH-CKS77..Big, roomy, detailed, balanced, n I am not just... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 for sale only 8 months old. Genuine reason for sale 5 minutes ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 6 minutes ago
- › TDK BA200 by kimvictor
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital