- 9 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K 272 HD High-Definition Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
- productApple iPhone 5tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productFiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier - 96kHz/24-Bittagged by System, 12/10/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productFiiO E17tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productFostex HP-P1tagged by System, 12/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best portable headphone Amp for iPhone 5 and MBP (is a DAC worth the extra?) Last post on 12/10/13 at 3:38am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best $100 amp? Last post on 9/18/13 at 7:34pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iPods and External DACs Last post on 9/11/13 at 3:50am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Mixamp + E11, E07K, or E17 Last post on 7/14/13 at 12:49am in Portable Headphone Amps
- New headphones. Considering amp/DAC for it (Noob alert) Last post on 6/9/13 at 5:53am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
Fiio E17 and iPhone 5 - what about DACpost #1 of 812/4/12 at 1:28pmThread StarterReading a lot about DAC and iPhones and them not working. How about the new iPhone 5 and THE E17? Does THE DAC work with the headphone jack? Want to buy an E17 and AKG K 272HD.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 812/6/12 at 12:43pmQuote:
Apple still require that their specific chip be used to extract digital audio from the dock, and headphone jacks only support analogue, so it's a no on both counts unfortunately.post #3 of 812/8/12 at 8:38amThread Starter
Is there another amp/dac that will work then? I love Apple, but this turns out to be a bit dissapointing. Never had the need to spend some money on a better headphone and since I like the looks of the AKG very much, I probably need an amp. So any suggestions on this are welcome!post #4 of 812/8/12 at 3:37pmI'm using the E17 with the LOD connector on my iPhone 4S and love the sound, can't say I'm unhappy with the on board DAC in the phone, however reports do suggest that the 5 has some sound quality issues.
The Fostex HP P1 is iPhone certified so it will bypass the internal DAC, only issue will be using the lightning adaptor..yet another bit of plastic to cart around...oh and the HP P1 is around £400...post #5 of 812/9/12 at 12:01amQuote:
I'm assuming your iPhone 5 comes with the new 8-pin port?
So you need to see if someone makes a cable that will connect the Apple 8-pin port to a the E17's USB port.
Or just get a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier ($60) and connect the iPhone's headphone jack to the E11 line-in port.
You could also use the Fiio E07K the same way as the E11 or E17.
What price are the AKG K272HD?post #6 of 812/9/12 at 2:27amThread Starterpost #7 of 812/14/12 at 5:10amQuote:
Unfortunately LODs only extract analogue audio whereas the thunderbolt port only outputs digitally, you'd need to get the thunderbolt>30 pin adaptor into which you could plug an LOD.
In terms of DAC/amp combinations that will work, you're going to be looking at the expensive class of products that have the Apple authorised chip I mentioned previously. The most notable example is the Fostex HP-P1, but there's also products from Go-DAP that do the same job. The Cypher Labs Algorithm Solo line can act as DACs, but need separate amps.post #8 of 812/14/12 at 11:48am
just swapped my iphone 5 for a galaxy s3 and bought the fiio e07k.
even though jellybean isn't as "polished" as iOS i'm glad i switched.
still have my classic, ipad and 5.5g so won't miss much.
cheap portable 96/24 FTW
- Fiio E17 and iPhone 5 - what about DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 11 seconds ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 26 seconds ago
- › NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD 1 minute ago
- › DNA Sonett 2 2 minutes ago
- › Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits] 2 minutes ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 2 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The... 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Audio stores in Kansas city 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by suman134
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe