- 9 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K 272 HD High-Definition Headphonestagged by System, 12/10/12
- productApple iPhone 5tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productFiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier - 96kHz/24-Bittagged by System, 12/10/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productFiiO E17tagged by System, 12/10/12
- productFostex HP-P1tagged by System, 12/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best portable headphone Amp for iPhone 5 and MBP (is a DAC worth the extra?) Last post on 12/10/13 at 3:38am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best $100 amp? Last post on 9/18/13 at 7:34pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iPods and External DACs Last post on 9/11/13 at 3:50am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Mixamp + E11, E07K, or E17 Last post on 7/14/13 at 12:49am in Portable Headphone Amps
- New headphones. Considering amp/DAC for it (Noob alert) Last post on 6/9/13 at 5:53am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
I picked these up just because at that time these would be my first set of over ear headphones. I also liked them for their looks. Honestly I wish I hadn't bought them. Lets see...
i am giving this review after a month use, 30+ hours burning its still improving. at the first use found these a crap they were sounding low on my phone they are not that impact that i was looking...
For the prize, these sound amazing! I was extremly happy about my purchase until the headband broke. I only used them normally, with no extreme stretching at all. It is made of fragile plastic....
If you want to read me ramble on more about haptics and finish quality, head to Ω image's review. I know it is a year on and this earphone is no longer en vogue. However, I reviewed it. Take...
Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my...
Fiio E17 and iPhone 5 - what about DACpost #1 of 912/4/12 at 1:28pmThread StarterReading a lot about DAC and iPhones and them not working. How about the new iPhone 5 and THE E17? Does THE DAC work with the headphone jack? Want to buy an E17 and AKG K 272HD.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 912/6/12 at 12:43pmQuote:
Apple still require that their specific chip be used to extract digital audio from the dock, and headphone jacks only support analogue, so it's a no on both counts unfortunately.post #3 of 912/8/12 at 8:38amThread Starter
Is there another amp/dac that will work then? I love Apple, but this turns out to be a bit dissapointing. Never had the need to spend some money on a better headphone and since I like the looks of the AKG very much, I probably need an amp. So any suggestions on this are welcome!post #4 of 912/8/12 at 3:37pmI'm using the E17 with the LOD connector on my iPhone 4S and love the sound, can't say I'm unhappy with the on board DAC in the phone, however reports do suggest that the 5 has some sound quality issues.
The Fostex HP P1 is iPhone certified so it will bypass the internal DAC, only issue will be using the lightning adaptor..yet another bit of plastic to cart around...oh and the HP P1 is around £400...post #5 of 912/9/12 at 12:01amQuote:
I'm assuming your iPhone 5 comes with the new 8-pin port?
So you need to see if someone makes a cable that will connect the Apple 8-pin port to a the E17's USB port.
Or just get a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier ($60) and connect the iPhone's headphone jack to the E11 line-in port.
You could also use the Fiio E07K the same way as the E11 or E17.
What price are the AKG K272HD?post #6 of 912/9/12 at 2:27amThread Starterpost #7 of 912/14/12 at 5:10amQuote:
Unfortunately LODs only extract analogue audio whereas the thunderbolt port only outputs digitally, you'd need to get the thunderbolt>30 pin adaptor into which you could plug an LOD.
In terms of DAC/amp combinations that will work, you're going to be looking at the expensive class of products that have the Apple authorised chip I mentioned previously. The most notable example is the Fostex HP-P1, but there's also products from Go-DAP that do the same job. The Cypher Labs Algorithm Solo line can act as DACs, but need separate amps.post #8 of 912/14/12 at 11:48am
just swapped my iphone 5 for a galaxy s3 and bought the fiio e07k.
even though jellybean isn't as "polished" as iOS i'm glad i switched.
still have my classic, ipad and 5.5g so won't miss much.
cheap portable 96/24 FTWpost #9 of 912/13/13 at 1:19pm
I have been trying to follow the thread and not sure i completely understand what is the best solution. I have a Fiio E17, Iphone 5C and multiple headphones (Sennheiser 598 (50 ohms), Audio Technica ATH-ANC9 (100ohms) and Denon AHD- D7000 (25 ohms).
The E17 worked fine on my 30 pin iphone 4 but obviously will not work on the Lightning connector. Do I need the lightning to camera or the lightning to usb and then get a usb to E17?
also what is a CCK?
Thanks for everyone's help.
- Fiio E17 and iPhone 5 - what about DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 10 seconds ago
- › The Wire Headphone Amplifier 21 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 22 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 24 seconds ago
- › Nexus 5 Sound Quality? 1 minute ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 3 minutes ago
- › New Member Here--Couple of Questions 4 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Skullcandy Hesh Over-Ear Headphone S6HEDZ-118 (Black/Grey) by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black by sagar khichi
- › AKG K520 by Veggietech
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe