I am looking for the most cost efficient amp for HE-500 that is not underpowered. Any suggestions?
Related Forum Threads
- Help me make my disision! Please help a wallet hungry hifier out! Last post on 6/20/12 at 1:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Can i expect a significant difference? Last post on 8/18/13 at 1:49pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Advice on which AKG combo? Last post on 3/29/13 at 8:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Amp-Dac combo for HD 600? Last post on 1/21/13 at 7:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD 2 or Hifiman HE-500 Last post on 10/28/13 at 4:00am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
Cost efficient but not underpowered amp for HE-500post #1 of 1512/4/12 at 11:20amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1512/4/12 at 11:21ampost #3 of 1512/4/12 at 12:55pmpost #4 of 1512/4/12 at 4:02pmThread StarterQuote:
Thanks. How funny. I hardly read any reviews. Just had a great gut feeling and already ordered one!post #5 of 1512/4/12 at 4:03pmThread StarterQuote:Quote:
Oh and what about DAC? :)post #6 of 1512/5/12 at 2:06ampost #7 of 1512/25/12 at 1:25ampost #8 of 1512/25/12 at 10:46amThread Starter
Unfortunately they have not arrived yet! They seem to be stuck in LA (final destination Finland). Not manufacturers problem but delivery company (USPS). Very irritating as I will on travels without the amp for the next month. Will do a write-up in this thread once I eventually get them.post #9 of 1512/25/12 at 12:57pmpost #10 of 1512/25/12 at 2:50pm
O2 and ODAC is probs the best COST EFFECTIVE combo, but I am curious about the new Schiits out... The HE-500 sounds fabulous with the EF-5, very mellow, midly warm, and awesome synergy. I like it the best together than any other Amp under $1000. I use a Calyx Coffee DAC. I don't exactly recommend high-end DACs as something like the ODAC and Calyx Coffee is more than enough while something like the Bifrost at something around $400~ doesn't really separate much from the price difference.post #11 of 1512/25/12 at 3:23pm
waiting your impression on Sunrise II?
anyway, NFB-15.32 is really a good deal for $260 for amp/dac. Powerful enough, almost 3 watt at ohm level of the HE-500. it drives it with ease. it improves soundstage a lot compared with ef-5, which i returned after 2 weeks of use. i like the optical input in NFB-15.32. it helps to use many headphone features out of my Xonar ST including dolby headphone without the use of the card's headphone jack.
Edited by nassq8 - 12/25/12 at 4:26pmpost #12 of 1512/25/12 at 4:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by nassq8
waiting your impression on Sunrise II?
anyway, NFB-15.32 is a really a good deal for $260 for amp/dac. Powerful enough, almost 3 watt at ohm level of the HE-500. it drives it with ease. it improves soundstage a lot compared with ef-5, which i returned after 2 weeks of use. i like the optical input in NFB-15.32. it helps to use many features out of my Xonar ST including dolby headphone.
Yes, I am taking about the Sunrise II. It's interesting to me because there is the option for DIY at only $200.post #13 of 1512/28/12 at 6:29pmpost #14 of 1512/29/12 at 2:56ampost #15 of 1512/31/12 at 9:13pm
Any final reviews? I just built and have been listening to my PSii for several days. I'm feeding it right off of a laptop soundcard, so I'd love to hear what you think of it with a DAC as well as which DAC you'd recommend.
- Cost efficient but not underpowered amp for HE-500
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 35 seconds ago
- › Westone Signature W-series W50 & W60 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Review: iHiFi960 portable DAP and transport 4 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions. 4 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival 5 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 7 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 7 minutes ago
- › WTB: Midrange IEMs or Closed Headphones 7 minutes ago
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob