Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Do i need an Amp (Cowon Z2, Brainwavz B2)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do i need an Amp (Cowon Z2, Brainwavz B2)

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I am thinking of getting a good amp, likely a Tralucent T1. Will the difference be noticeable since the Z2 itself has an excellent chip. Also, which would be better ??


Edited by skyline385 - 12/16/12 at 10:48pm
post #2 of 10
Thread Starter 

bump. Anyone ??

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

C'mon anyone ??

post #4 of 10
I think in your situation you would be better of testing the water levels.

Some people claim amping makes a difference and others not so much due to the lower impendance of your B2. The Z2 has more than enough power there to drive the B2 properly. The best way for you to find out personally is try a budget amp like FiiO E6. Don't jump in the deep end right away. Do some experimenting yourself to form an opinion whether or not you need something like T1.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I think in your situation you would be better of testing the water levels.
Some people claim amping makes a difference and others not so much due to the lower impendance of your B2. The Z2 has more than enough power there to drive the B2 properly. The best way for you to find out personally is try a budget amp like FiiO E6. Don't jump in the deep end right away. Do some experimenting yourself to form an opinion whether or not you need something like T1.


The B2 work extremely fine and sound amazing, its my HD518 which struggles. Moreover, i was hoping that getting a good amp would improve the SQ but i am doubtful since, like i said, the Z2 has a top-class chip in it...

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline385 View Post


The B2 work extremely fine and sound amazing, its my HD518 which struggles. Moreover, i was hoping that getting a good amp would improve the SQ but i am doubtful since, like i said, the Z2 has a top-class chip in it...

Well I've amped a Cowon S9 before, and I'll be honest, I didn't notice much difference, the bass tightens up a little and you gain more volume (louder) the soundstage become slightly wider, there is more power there, all this will depend on the amp you're using. but overall you're only adding a second device to charge and a brick to carry around.

As I said, I don't think you can wrong trying a E6, to grab a feel of what's going on. They're only about $25. A small price to pay before jumping on something like T1. You will still get a drift of the concept and what's going on. The Cowons are good players and they have decent DAC's but they're still in the mainstream for mp3 players, there's a lot better out there.
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Well I've amped a Cowon S9 before, and I'll be honest, I didn't notice much difference, the bass tightens up a little and you gain more volume (louder) the soundstage become slightly wider, there is more power there, all this will depend on the amp you're using. but overall you're only adding a second device to charge and a brick to carry around.
As I said, I don't think you can wrong trying a E6, to grab a feel of what's going on. They're only about $25. A small price to pay before jumping on something like T1. You will still get a drift of the concept and what's going on. The Cowons are good players and they have decent DAC's but they're still in the mainstream for mp3 players, there's a lot better out there.


Hmm, i always thought the Z2 was one of the top pmp, because of its excellent EQ customisation and DAC, which i can definitely vouch for. What do you consider as top-tier for pmps. And don't say clip+, both have their pros and cons but they both are good from what i have seen.

post #8 of 10
IBasso DX100, Hisound Studio V 3RD ANV, Colorfly CK4+, Colorfly C4.

All of which support their own separate internal amp built in + line out feature (which you do not have) and offer superior SQ from their headphone outs.

I own Cowon S9, it's great, doesn't stop me from knowing better SQ when I hear it.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 12/17/12 at 3:21am
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

IBasso DX100, Hisound Studio V 3RD ANV, Colorfly CK4+, Colorfly C4.
All of which support separate internal amp build in + line out feature (which you do not have) and offer superior SQ from their headphone outs.
I own Cowon S9, it's great, doesn't stop be from knowing better SQ when I hear it.


Well we cant compare players which have internal amps to those without it, can we? Anyways, agree on your part, when looking at SQ, these are definitely ahead. But not only do they have internal amps, they are crazy expensive as well. Plus, none of them are available here for me. So, i couldn't invest that much in something which would give me issues sending back and all. Well , i guess i have to find someone with an amp and check first before ordering i guess...

post #10 of 10
Hey.. you asked what I consider as top-tier for pmps. wink.gif Thought I was going to pull out the old Clip+ card eh....

Leave the mainstream.....leave the mainstream...... devil_face.gif

By amping the Cowon you will also be double amping, because you only have the headphone out as an option, which can degrade SQ also. For amping properly you need to bybass the DAP's internal amp chip section, otherwise you're causing unwanted distortion, that's why people opt for Apple players to gain a direct line out via LOD bypassing the amp to gain a 'clean' signal, But of course it's all trial and error, we learn as we go along.


Goodluck.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Do i need an Amp (Cowon Z2, Brainwavz B2)