Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread - Page 103

post #1531 of 1544

You guys know how to fix the stuttering issue when plugging the E07K into a PC USB port as a DAC? I tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, and just the usual on-and-off and re-plugging it. Running windows 8.1 right now.

post #1532 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by scope1992 View Post
 

You guys know how to fix the stuttering issue when plugging the E07K into a PC USB port as a DAC? I tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, and just the usual on-and-off and re-plugging it. Running windows 8.1 right now.

 

Have you tried different usb ports? setting the sample rates? If you're using a laptop is it plugged in to power? Also check if you have power going through your usb ports. 

post #1533 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuiter23 View Post
 

 

Have you tried different usb ports? setting the sample rates? If you're using a laptop is it plugged in to power? Also check if you have power going through your usb ports. 


I was able to resolve it by restarting my comp. It was working before, so I was wondering why it started to stutter. Thanks anyways.

post #1534 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by scope1992 View Post
 


I was able to resolve it by restarting my comp. It was working before, so I was wondering why it started to stutter. Thanks anyways.

If the shuttering / distortion only happens after you left the E07K idle for awhile, then I am pretty sure that's not a problem on E07K, but a problem that has been long known to come from Windows. Basically it is caused by Windows being 'smart' and try to cut off the USB power supply to save power, but fail to do so because most USB DAC (*not just E07K) can't go to suspension mode. The temporary interruption causes the USB DAC to lost its clock synchronization with the PC, which in term can't properly 'time' the input data anymore. The result, as you have observed, is distortion / shuttering of the audio output. An indirect proof is that, once you reconnect the USB DAC, it all goes back to normal again since a new connection will allow / force the USB DAC to sync to the PC's clock again.

 

There are a few solutions on these, but none works 100% all the time, so you might need to try each one out. The way I fixed mine is to use a self-power USB hub, which Windows can't put into suspension (because its power supply is out of Windows' control). I know some also report that disabling Windows' USB power save mode helps (control panel > device manager > universal serial bus controller > right click on the device and under power management). There are also report that going into BIOS to disable any USB power control can help too. Another setting is under (control panel > device manager > power option > change advanced power setting > USB setting).

post #1535 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

If the shuttering / distortion only happens after you left the E07K idle for awhile, then I am pretty sure that's not a problem on E07K, but a problem that has been long known to come from Windows. Basically it is caused by Windows being 'smart' and try to cut off the USB power supply to save power, but fail to do so because most USB DAC (*not just E07K) can't go to suspension mode. The temporary interruption causes the USB DAC to lost its clock synchronization with the PC, which in term can't properly 'time' the input data anymore. The result, as you have observed, is distortion / shuttering of the audio output. An indirect proof is that, once you reconnect the USB DAC, it all goes back to normal again since a new connection will allow / force the USB DAC to sync to the PC's clock again.

In my case, the Dac was still stuttering even after rebooting and replugging the Dac. Although I did use a use pass through with two different ports.
post #1536 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by scope1992 View Post


In my case, the Dac was still stuttering even after rebooting and replugging the Dac. Although I did use a use pass through with two different ports.

 

Shuttering as in immediately after the the rebooting or in some time later? Some PC doesn't turn the USB controller completely off when rebooting, so the USB controller still 'remember' what it is connected to, and that might be a cause. Does restarting the E07k helps?

 

What is a 'use pass through'?

post #1537 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Shuttering as in immediately after the the rebooting or in some time later? Some PC doesn't turn the USB controller completely off when rebooting, so the USB controller still 'remember' what it is connected to, and that might be a cause. Does restarting the E07k helps?

 

What is a 'use pass through'?


Sorry, I was replying via my phone. What I meant is USB pass-through, not "use". I have the DAC plugged into my keyboard with 2 USB pass-through ports. Here's what I did when the stuttering started happened until it stopped.

 

1) I unplugged and re-plug the DAC

2) I unplugged the DAC and restarted the DAC, and plugged it back in.

3) I restarted the PC (still stuttering)

 

It is after the second reboot of my PC is when the stuttering stopped. But you're probably right about the PC remember the device. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers just in case, and updated my PC as well.

post #1538 of 1544

Basically your keyboard is acting as an USB hub, but it is not self-powered so I suspect it is still remembering the E07K for the PC.

 

Do try the other solution that I mentioned. Maybe one of them will work for you.


Edited by ClieOS - 3/11/15 at 11:10pm
post #1539 of 1544

Hi guys, I have just got an e07k and want to use it with my first gen Moto G with Android 5.02 lollipop

 

I could have sworn the first time I tried it, I plugged in OTG, plugged in e07k, plugged in earphones, played Spotify and tadaah!

 

However from the second time and from now on it only seems to play out of phone speakers and not earphones??

 

Any idea how to get it working?

 

There's always the potential the first time i tried something silly happened like.... the fiio was plugged into my laptop instead of phone. I wouldnt put it past me, but i dont think so

post #1540 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejobloggs View Post
 

Hi guys, I have just got an e07k and want to use it with my first gen Moto G with Android 5.02 lollipop

 

I could have sworn the first time I tried it, I plugged in OTG, plugged in e07k, plugged in earphones, played Spotify and tadaah!

 

However from the second time and from now on it only seems to play out of phone speakers and not earphones??

 

Any idea how to get it working?

 

There's always the potential the first time i tried something silly happened like.... the fiio was plugged into my laptop instead of phone. I wouldnt put it past me, but i dont think so

 

You need to run a line out (3.5mm) from your phone to your amp. You also need to plug your headphones to your amp. 

 

Just fyi, the e07k will only work as an amp with your Moto, the decoding portion (DAC) will still all be processed with the Moto G.

post #1541 of 1544

Aw nuts. I thought I could use the e07k as a dac on my moto g, which is why I purchased it.

 

I assumed I could plug e07k into moto g and it would function both as an amp/dac

post #1542 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejobloggs View Post
 

Aw nuts. I thought I could use the e07k as a dac on my moto g, which is why I purchased it.

 

I assumed I could plug e07k into moto g and it would function both as an amp/dac

 

The E07k does not have the ability to bypass the dac. If it did you would be using digital cables rather than analog (3.5mm). You would want to look into the Beyerdynamic A200p if you want to bypass both DAC and the AMP.

 

The E07k will just give you the AMP on a portable device. 

post #1543 of 1544

Isn't that the whole point with USB OTG and Lollipoc DAC support?

 

Clearly I have misunderstood everything

post #1544 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejobloggs View Post
 

Isn't that the whole point with USB OTG and Lollipoc DAC support?

 

Clearly I have misunderstood everything

 

That is only with dacs that are certified to bypass it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread