Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphone advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphone advice

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Ok guys, I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones, but I need you to put me on the right way.

Especially now.

 

My favorites were: Denon AHD600 and D400, AKG K550/K551, AKG K167 and K267, Vmoda M100, Sony MDR 1RNC, Sennheiser Momentum, and Ultrasone Pro 900.

 

I really need your opinion and to make a comparison looking at comfort, efficiency, portability, noise isolation and sound quality and detail, bass, lows, mids, and highs, etc.

 

Please also write the list from best to worst rated on sound quality. Sound quality is top priority for me.

 

For example are K167 and K267 better than Beats Pro, K550 and Momentum?

post #2 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tino96 View Post

Ok guys, I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones, but I need you to put me on the right way.

Especially now.

 

My favorites were: Denon AHD600 and D400, AKG K550/K551, AKG K167 and K267, Vmoda M100, Sony MDR 1RNC, Sennheiser Momentum, and Ultrasone Pro 900.

 

I really need your opinion and to make a comparison looking at comfort, efficiency, portability, noise isolation and sound quality and detail, bass, lows, mids, and highs, etc.

 

Please also write the list from best to worst rated on sound quality. Sound quality is top priority for me.

 

For example are K167 and K267 better than Beats Pro, K550 and Momentum?

Your list of headphones is too long. You likely won't find many people on the forums who have extended experience with all 10 headphones you just mentioned.

 

To receive a more informed recommendation, you should list your priorities in order, the genres of music you listen to, the primary usage of the headphones (work/home/portable) and what you define as "sound quality". You have a ton of bassy headphones on there, so if I infer correctly it would be silly to recommend a neutral headphone despite it having great sound quality to me. 

post #3 of 21

I'm in the same boat haha but I would add the Beyerdynamic DT660 to the list along with Denon AH D2000.
I had it narrowed down to the above 2 and the Sony MDR-1R along with the AKG K550.

This is all purely based on reviews and personal taste. I have not heard any of these yet and I'm really trying to find them locally haha.

Also keep in mind ones that can be upgraded and amplified. I haven't done the research yet but it's something to consider.

post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousPride View Post

Your list of headphones is too long. You likely won't find many people on the forums who have extended experience with all 10 headphones you just mentioned.

 

To receive a more informed recommendation, you should list your priorities in order, the genres of music you listen to, the primary usage of the headphones (work/home/portable) and what you define as "sound quality". You have a ton of bassy headphones on there, so if I infer correctly it would be silly to recommend a neutral headphone despite it having great sound quality to me. 

Hi,

 

I isten to a lot of music. Techno, Pop, Ra, Hip Hop, Rock, Electronica, etc.

I don't want portability (primary usage) to be a major factor. It doesn't really matter to me where I'll be using it. Sound quality. I would prefer the bass to be powerful but without ruining the song by being too powerful. I would prefer, although as you mentioned if the headphone was neutral but it had a great sound quality, please share your opinions.

 

I know that my list is too long  but I just wanted some opinions on any of them and comparisons between any of them to get an idea.

 

I have tried some of them like the Denon AHD600 and D400 and the Momentums but nowhere near enough to get an idea and have preferences, except for the Denons maybe having a richer sound than the Momentums.

Same goes for the AKG K550, I have basically just tried the clamping force. And now the release of the K167 which I really like and the upcoming K267.

post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tino96 View Post

Hi,

 

I isten to a lot of music. Techno, Pop, Ra, Hip Hop, Rock, Electronica, etc.

I don't want portability (primary usage) to be a major factor. It doesn't really matter to me where I'll be using it. Sound quality. I would prefer the bass to be powerful but without ruining the song by being too powerful. I would prefer, although as you mentioned if the headphone was neutral but it had a great sound quality, please share your opinions.

 

I know that my list is too long  but I just wanted some opinions on any of them and comparisons between any of them to get an idea.

 

I have tried some of them like the Denon AHD600 and D400 and the Momentums but nowhere near enough to get an idea and have preferences, except for the Denons maybe having a richer sound than the Momentums.

Same goes for the AKG K550, I have basically just tried the clamping force. And now the release of the K167 which I really like and the upcoming K267.

 

Heya,

 

K167 now, or K267 when it's released will probably please you for what you're looking for.

 

Alternatively the D600, if you like the sound, is a decent headphone (simply pricey right now, still new).

 

Very best,

post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

 

Heya,

 

K167 now, or K267 when it's released will probably please you for what you're looking for.

 

Alternatively the D600, if you like the sound, is a decent headphone (simply pricey right now, still new).

 

Very best,

I agree with this, but damn even used the d600s are 400 bucks on amazon. 

post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCxSmacker View Post

I agree with this, but damn even used the d600s are 400 bucks on amazon. 

If you don't mind used, they often sell in the ~$300 range.

post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 

Well which do you think have the best, most accurate and detailed sound of the bunch? I'm thinking the K550 am I right?

And how do the K167 compare or the D600 sound wise?

post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 

Also to follow up, would you say (to all the owners of K167), that the K167 are better, more detailed and have a decent noise cancelling compared to Beats Pro?

post #10 of 21

From what I've seen, noise cancelling headphones distort the sound.
I tried out and ordered the MDR-1R, but tried the RNC version. When the NC was on, the sound was higher pitched and grainier.

The MDR-1 were really accurate and just a tiny bit bass heavy compared to the actual sound. I'm not complaining tho, it would sound bland without it. 

My 2cents. 

Once I'm done exams, I'll be doing a tour of all the headphone stores to build a stronger opinion.

post #11 of 21

Lmao. Beats. Thats funny.

Sounds like you prefer bass heavy music and you wanted noise isolation.

Just going off those two preferences, your best choice is the Sennheiser HD 25-1- II.

 

Just a btw, the k167 was just released, so not much input will be for those headphones.

and k267 isn't even released yet.

 

Personally id wait a little bit for a Sennheiser HD 25 II vs K267 comparison, but if you cant wait the Sennheiser HD 25-1-II's cant disappoint. 

post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaborus View Post

Lmao. Beats. Thats funny.

Sounds like you prefer bass heavy music and you wanted noise isolation.

Just going off those two preferences, your best choice is the Sennheiser HD 25-1- II.

 

Just a btw, the k167 was just released, so not much input will be for those headphones.

and k267 isn't even released yet.

 

Personally id wait a little bit for a Sennheiser HD 25 II vs K267 comparison, but if you cant wait the Sennheiser HD 25-1-II's cant disappoint. 

Yeah lol I know Beats are crap but sound wise they are the only headphones I have an opinion on. I don't like the sound of beats either.

That's how bad I am.

post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 

But anyway I wanted opinions.

 

Since Beats Pro are the only headphones I actually know the sound of, I wanted to know which headphones above would you hear a significant difference (in a good way), without being an audiophile and being a noobie like me? From reading around I learned that the K550 are much much better than Beats Pro sound wise and you hear a big difference. I don't know about the K167 and the Ultrasone Pro 900 and the others in the list so again that's why I asked.Are tee K167 better than Beats Pro siundwise and K550? What about the Ultrasone Pro 900? 

post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tino96 View Post

But anyway I wanted opinions.

 

Since Beats Pro are the only headphones I actually know the sound of, I wanted to know which headphones above would you hear a significant difference (in a good way), without being an audiophile and being a noobie like me? From reading around I learned that the K550 are much much better than Beats Pro sound wise and you hear a big difference. I don't know about the K167 and the Ultrasone Pro 900 and the others in the list so again that's why I asked.Are tee K167 better than Beats Pro siundwise and K550? What about the Ultrasone Pro 900? 

Cant comment on the K167 or K550, but I own the PRO900 and listened to the Beats PRO. The PRO900 smoke the Beats pro in every way possible. They are in two different leagues... The PRO 900 has amazing bass, which never gets loose or sloppy. It's tight with a whole lot of punch and quantity, and doesnt interfere with the mids and highs whatsoever. The Beats pro is just bass, nothing else imo. I also hear great things about the K550 being extremely balanced and detailed.

post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 

Mmm...nice. I know that the Pro 900 are awesome headphones. So anyway the very best of the group would be the Pro 900 and the K550s, how do the Pro 900 do for portability. better or worse than K550, and is the sound as detailed as the K550? And is it actually true that the K550's clamp is adjustable? What about the K167, is the sound and noise isolation even comparable to these last two?

I can't wait to see the K267 but they will be pricey...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphone advice