Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › ColorFly C4 - Lots of Questions and Issues on Not Working!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ColorFly C4 - Lots of Questions and Issues on Not Working!!! - Page 4

post #46 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

i would not automatically exclude the psu:

 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/419789/sli/8800-gtx-sli-problems/

 

if you have a gaming pc ...

 

or google ..your motherboard name type... usb problem

Thanks. I did have a Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS installed but it has been relegated to the bench for a week or so now. And I am running the graphics off the main processor (Intel I5 3570K).

post #47 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou View Post

Let's take a crack at this one.

 

  1. If you haven't done so, try a different mini USB cable just in case.
  2. Compare both USB 2.0 ports and USB 3.0 ports if the latter ones do exist.
  3. Go to Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and turn off the options of power savings settings for all USB ports / hubs available.
  4. Check the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR and make sure that service is OK.
  5. Export both registry keys HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR first, then you should be more than experienced to figure out what could be deleted. Get rid of everything there except stuff like input devices. The purpose is to have the lowest number of USB devices present before you plug Colorfly C4 into any USB ports. If your Colorfly C4 were working miraculously, then you should be able to find out which specific USB device was the bad guy by process of elimination. At last, you could proceed to restore those registry keys from your backup. Maybe that might not help at all and at least we could rule out the possibilities of conflicts between USB devices.
  6. Run those freebies such as http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html or http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html in order to get a report of what you've got on your PC. They might help you to troubleshoot.
  7. Try stuff like BartPE or Windows PE with USB Mass Storage drivers loaded properly. ISO images cannot be distributed except something similar to this one - http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm - just in case you might have better luck with PE.
  8. S3U USB Mass Storage Device Test Utility http://s3u.sourceforge.net
  9. You might run out of options and consider adding PCI-E>USB or PCI>USB cards if that were sitting somewhere already.
  10. Do you have a cable like this? One for power and another one for data:

 

 

 


 

That's all I could think of right now. So far it didn't seem to be this kinda problem

 

 

Thank you for your recommendations. As you maybe aware I did a complete rebuild of my system and all that was installed was the keyboard and the mouse usb drivers before I introduced the C4. I had no luck with that and can't imagine the system being any cleaner than this. I haven't tried the double USB cable yet, that will be the last thing I will try before I put this all to bed.

post #48 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejulieeye View Post

Have you tried 1 of the many PCI - - > USB (available out there) cards friend to hook up the C4 too?
If so let me know to rule that out too.


Cheers J.

I was just waiting for one that I ordered from the internet. It is installed now (PCI Express USB card) but alas no luck with the C4. I will be trying the double USB cable when it arrives and after that I will be happy to regard the matter as an 'experience'. Unfortunately, not a good one.

 

Cheers

post #49 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaegunp View Post

I was just waiting for one that I ordered from the internet. It is installed now (PCI Express USB card) but alas no luck with the C4. I will be trying the double USB cable when it arrives and after that I will be happy to regard the matter as an 'experience'. Unfortunately, not a good one.

Cheers

Definitely a strange 1 & it must be very frustrating for you indeed friend, sorry no suggestions have helped you at all frown.gif
I'm just thinking as I said earlier that this is just 1 of those PC problems that will remain unexplained frown.gif
I honestly feel your frustration as I have had a couple of similar problems exactly like this with USB & after trying everything me & fellow ADMINS could think of & the problem remained it is so annoying the not knowing part that it drives me for 1 mad as I always like to know about any PC problems & how to overcome them etc...
I just came to the above conclusions when we couldn't resolve the USB problems & IMHO actually think its down to the problem PC's motherboard somehow being faulty but still managing to pass any tests done to replicate issues etc... frown.gif
In our house we have many PC's so if it was me I think I would just use 1 of the other PC's for transferring music to the C4 because it's too good a device to allow a PC problem to have you miss out on it's great Quality Sound friend, so if the PC problems remain perhaps borrow your son's Alienware Laptop to transfer music to it & use a 64gb MicroSDXC card friend for more space & then you can still use your own PC for that.
Here I use the C4's internal flash for 320kbp's Mp3's & use the 64gb microSDXC Card for uncompressed Flacs so I mostly just use the card for transferring as like most would I prefer the higher quality of the Flacs.

I know nothing I'm saying is helping with your PC's USB issue but IMHO friend the C4's way too good to let a PC problem deprive you of its great Quality Sound friend wink.gif


Cheers J.
post #50 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejulieeye View Post


Definitely a strange 1 & it must be very frustrating for you indeed friend, sorry no suggestions have helped you at all frown.gif
I'm just thinking as I said earlier that this is just 1 of those PC problems that will remain unexplained frown.gif
I honestly feel your frustration as I have had a couple of similar problems exactly like this with USB & after trying everything me & fellow ADMINS could think of & the problem remained it is so annoying the not knowing part that it drives me for 1 mad as I always like to know about any PC problems & how to overcome them etc...
I just came to the above conclusions when we couldn't resolve the USB problems & IMHO actually think its down to the problem PC's motherboard somehow being faulty but still managing to pass any tests done to replicate issues etc... frown.gif
In our house we have many PC's so if it was me I think I would just use 1 of the other PC's for transferring music to the C4 because it's too good a device to allow a PC problem to have you miss out on it's great Quality Sound friend, so if the PC problems remain perhaps borrow your son's Alienware Laptop to transfer music to it & use a 64gb MicroSDXC card friend for more space & then you can still use your own PC for that.
Here I use the C4's internal flash for 320kbp's Mp3's & use the 64gb microSDXC Card for uncompressed Flacs so I mostly just use the card for transferring as like most would I prefer the higher quality of the Flacs.

I know nothing I'm saying is helping with your PC's USB issue but IMHO friend the C4's way too good to let a PC problem deprive you of its great Quality Sound friend wink.gif


Cheers J.

Thankyou for your encouraging thoughts. I haven't really listened much to the C4 because of the drama and I will wait until the disappointment of not getting it to work on my system subsides. After that I hope the listening will have been all worth it.

 

Cheers

post #51 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaegunp View Post

Thankyou for your encouraging thoughts. I haven't really listened much to the C4 because of the drama and I will wait until the disappointment of not getting it to work on my system subsides. After that I hope the listening will have been all worth it.

 

Cheers

 

Did you try connecting your device to a different computer? What OS does the PC have? If you have the same issue on multiple windows PCs I suggest you get the unit replaced under warranty.

post #52 of 166

I have zero joy with my C4 and any of my many Macs...it recognises it, opens it, and about one minute later auto ejects it, every single time...

 

It is rock solid on any Windows machine however, or on my Windows partition on my Mac....so it is the OS...

 

Yep...

post #53 of 166

reading the articles on page 1-3 gives you a good overview of what was already discussed and tested, seems to be his very special computer if no other idea after reading all the posts before.

post #54 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

reading the articles on page 1-3 gives you a good overview of what was already discussed and tested, seems to be his very special computer if no other idea after reading all the posts before.

Hi GermanGuy,

 

Any idea why Mac OSX is ejecting the C4 but Windows is not? I have tried four different Macs, same thing on every one of them. Can't seem to see it alluded to on any post so far, maybe it is just me!!

 

Cheers!

post #55 of 166

sorry, misunderstood or did not carefully read your first post!

 

i have no experience with macs. i goggled 'colorfly c4 mac usb problem' but no articles found so seems not to be a c4/mac problem (or all mac users have an ipod). there are topics on the colorfly faq page regarding mac but nothing related to your problem:

 

http://www.colorfly.eu/index_faq.html

 

do you have the latest firmware installed?

does your mac have a fat32 driver installed?

 

try to exclude the os by booting from a linux if available!

 

edit:

 

did some additional research. it seems to be a common mac os / fat 32 problem, problems and solutions are discussed here:

 

https://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&spotlight=false&q=mac+os+usb+unmounting+problem


Edited by GermanGuy - 7/7/13 at 1:09pm
post #56 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGuy View Post

sorry, misunderstood or did not carefully read your first post!

 

i have no experience with macs. i goggled 'colorfly c4 mac usb problem' but no articles found so seems not to be a c4/mac problem (or all mac users have an ipod). there are topics on the colorfly faq page regarding mac but nothing related to your problem:

 

http://www.colorfly.eu/index_faq.html

 

do you have the latest firmware installed?

does your mac have a fat32 driver installed?

 

try to exclude the os by booting from a linux if available!

 

edit:

 

did some additional research. it seems to be a common mac os / fat 32 problem, problems and solutions are discussed here:

 

https://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&spotlight=false&q=mac+os+usb+unmounting+problem

Wow! Thank You So Much for that, very generous with your time Sir!

 

You know, I don't think I do have the latest firmware...and I suspect that this might fix it! 

 

The C4 sounds so good that I have an easy work around if I can't be bothered to reboot my Mac into Windows, I just use the Micro SD in an adapter straight into the USB slot, it never ejects that.

 

I bet it is the firmware...I think that there has been a release reasonably recently that I didn't download.

 

Thank You GermanGuy! 

post #57 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

Did you try connecting your device to a different computer? What OS does the PC have? If you have the same issue on multiple windows PCs I suggest you get the unit replaced under warranty.

Thank you for your thoughts. It works on my sons computer that runs windows 7 home and it also runs on my netbook that runs windows 8 pro. The amazing thing is I have very recently upgraded my computer with a new motherboard, ram and graphics. It was coming up to be upgraded but the fact the C4 didn't work on my old setup was a factor in upgrading sooner. So essentially I have had two consecutive PC's that wouldn't deal with the C4.

post #58 of 166

Sounds like Colorfly has some work to do on their drivers for compatibility issues....

post #59 of 166

about the connect and detection of Colorfly 4 with PC System...if you have more than 5 HDD and 1 DVD, sometime the C4 can't detected by OP. I tested with Windows 7 at my home PC ( I have 8 HDD) The Letter J and K are not occupied by my hard drives and CD-ROM, so I have no Problem.  

post #60 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas68 View Post

about the connect and detection of Colorfly 4 with PC System...if you have more than 5 HDD and 1 DVD, sometime the C4 can't detected by OP. I tested with Windows 7 at my home PC ( I have 8 HDD) The Letter J and K are not occupied by my hard drives and CD-ROM, so I have no Problem.  

And on a Mac Sir? I downloaded the latest firmware and I am experiencing the same issue, it is recognised at first, I can open both the SD card and the internal drive but if I start copying anything onto it, it will only copy for about a minute and then eject.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › ColorFly C4 - Lots of Questions and Issues on Not Working!!!