1. Lossless is the way to go. I though I could cheat and get away with using garbage files (128 kbps) with my Beyerdynamic DT1350 but the difference is there. Music sounds muddy/harsh with lossy particularly the bass. With my Grado SR60i it was pretty forgiving but those cans are not as revealing and detailed as the Beyers. Bass! What Bass! Clean and tight and digs deeper than I ever thought these recording were capable of. I'm not a bass head but this kind of bass I can get addicted to! I am digging into my old CD collection and ripping them Apple lossless because I feel like I'm finally hearing these CD's closer to what the artist intended.
2. I thought my Grado SR60's were great but now I'm not sure I can go back to listening to it unless my amp dies which sounds merely acceptable plugged directly into my iPod Classic.
3. Amp. I'm only using a cheap Fiio E6 but my DT1350 needs the juice or it sounds thinner and "tinny" plugged into my iPod. Wonder how much better it would sound with E11 or E17?
4. Burn in: When I first plugged in my DT1350 directly to my iPod I thought it was broken. It sounded muted and way worse than cheap Apple earbuds. Then I plugged it into my Fiio E6 and it sounded like it had potential but still "tinny" sounding. After the first hour it started opening up but still harsh on certain passages. After about 10 hour burn in the sound is much fuller and better overall. Now plugged into the same iPod it sounds dramatically better. 50 hours so far and detect little to no change.
5. iPod: With either my SR60 or DT1350 plugged directly into my new iPod Classic 160 GB 7th Gen the SQ is worse than my old 6th Gen Nano.
6. DT1350: I love the SQ, build quality, and the design/looks of the DT1350. The only thing I don't like is the clamping force which is much stronger than anticipated. Because of that I'd only recommend it for those who are willing to put up with it 30-60 minutes into wearing them. I can live with it but others may not. Otherwise I'd look into Sennheiser Amperior which I've read has similar sound and better in terms of comfort.
Edited by Ian111 - 11/28/12 at 11:15am