What differentaites a basshead headphone from a really crappy bass heavy headphone? Like what am I supposed to be listeninig for?
- productAKG High Performance Closed-Back DJ Headphones - K181DJtagged by System, 12/3/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 12/3/12
- productAUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2tagged by System, 12/3/12
- productAudio-Technica Solid Bass Over-Ear Headphones (ATH-WS55BK)tagged by System, 12/3/12
- productHARMAN K81DJ Akg Closed-Back Folding Dj Headphonetagged by System, 12/3/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/3/12
- productLogitech UE 6000tagged by System, 12/3/12
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 12/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 212 Headphonestagged by System, 12/3/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/3/12More
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 12/3/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by System, 12/3/12
- productV-MODA LP2tagged by System, 12/3/12
- productV-MODA XFLPR-ROUGE Crossfade LP Overear Headphones (Rouge)tagged by System, 12/3/12
Related Forum Threads
- Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones Last post on 12/13/12 at 10:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dubstep headphone Last post on 1/16/13 at 1:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First "real" headphones Last post on 11/22/12 at 2:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dubstep Headphones!?! Last post on 11/18/12 at 10:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Car Audio Basshead Seeking Basshead Headphones Last post on 11/29/12 at 10:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The purple edition of this headphone is a hidden gem. Most people see me wearing these and assume I am some unacknowledged sheeple. While this is possible, I would attest to the argument that these...
UE6000 Review I like these headphones. I don’t love them, I just like them. They have a ton of good things going for them like the isolation (freakin’ fantastic passive isolation, maybe...
I had this earphones for 2 years and I must say, that I was really satisfied with it. With the possibility to change bass you can choose what really fits you and I must say, that the bass was...
A Little Background I currently own Beats Pro and I listen to them on a daily basis. I have previously owned Beats Studios and Beats Solos. I bought all of them from The Source in Ontario and...
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
Question about the term basshead headphonespost #1 of 311/27/12 at 8:44pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 311/27/12 at 8:53pm
Some bass heavy headphones have bloated bass, it affects the mids and the whole spectrum. While other bass heavy headphones have the right balance of quality and quantity.
I hope this answers your questionpost #3 of 311/27/12 at 10:35pm
Well for me the term basshead headphones just means it has a quantity of bass that is north of that of +5dB or so. There are good sounding basshead headphones and bad sounding basshead headphones. :)
Good sounding basshead headphones (at their pricepoint) is for example Sony XB series, AKG K518, K81, K181, Audio Technica ATH-WS55, PRO700MK2, Ultrasone HFI-580, V-Moda, LP1, LP2, M100, M-Audio Q40, UE6000 etc.
Bad sounding basshead headphones would be for example the old lower-end Skullcandy headphones, Beats by Dr Dre headphones.
Quality wise you should be listening for if the bass sounds controlled, is it boomy (single note bass without any detail, compare car subwoofer setups, it's just bunch of WROOM-WROOM, BOOOM-BOOOM sound) or textured (all bass details are present)? does it affect mids or not? Does it only appear where it should be? Is there a lot of resonance (which will result in lack of texture as the finer details in bass will be masked by the reverb and sounds "mushy"/smeared in the bass)? Is it loose (slow, a bit all over the place) or tight (punchy, snappier, this kind of bass usually lets you hear more details)?
Of course all this has very little meaning to you if you haven't heard several different headphones so you get a little better experience of exactly how it can sound like, even a bad quality basshead headphone can sound very good to you if you haven't heard any better and don't know how it CAN sound like. At first I was using a Sennheiser HD212pro which is certainly a basshead headphone and I absolutely loved it back then. Today I'm facepalming when I put them on and can't understand how I could concider that headphone sounding so good.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 11/27/12 at 11:02pm
- Question about the term basshead headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › New member here! Looking for advice on best headphone setup for... 7 seconds ago
- › Best Basshead Can ($200) Poll 15 seconds ago
- › FiiO newsflash: James’ latest firmware update cures cancer (we hope) 1 minute ago
- › Do you hear crosstalk with this track? 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: HisoundAudio BA100 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 3 minutes ago
- › E10 or used Essence ST for gaming/music desktop w. 990 pros? 3 minutes ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 3 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio Rx Mk3-B 4 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by boobs
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi