What differentaites a basshead headphone from a really crappy bass heavy headphone? Like what am I supposed to be listeninig for?
- productAKG High Performance Closed-Back DJ Headphones - K181DJtagged by System, 12/2/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 12/2/12
- productAKG K81DJ Akg Closed-Back Folding Dj Headphonetagged by System, 12/2/12
- productAUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productAudio-Technica Solid Bass Over-Ear Headphones (ATH-WS55BK)tagged by System, 12/2/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/2/12
- productLogitech UE 6000tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 12/2/12
- productSennheiser HD 212 Headphonestagged by System, 12/2/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/2/12More
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productV-MODA LP2tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productV-MODA XFLPR-ROUGE Crossfade LP Overear Headphones (Rouge)tagged by System, 12/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones Last post on 12/13/12 at 10:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dubstep headphone Last post on 2/17/14 at 1:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First "real" headphones Last post on 11/22/12 at 2:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dubstep Headphones!?! Last post on 11/18/12 at 10:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for the perfect pair of headphones Last post on 10/16/12 at 8:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have been searching best headphone(for me not for everyone I'm sorry) last half year. Now I found Sennheiser HD600/650 is one of best headphone for classical music and for me. I bought around...
I would like to start with saying thank you to Brainwavz and Pandora for letting me check out the Brainwavz Jive. The Brainwavz Jive is available from...
SOUNDMAGIC E50S IN EAR MONITOR REVIEW Firstly, like to thank SoundMAGIC for supplying the E50S Review unit Features and Design The E50S is the latest in ear monitor from SoundMAGIC....
My initial impressions of this headphone were good, but it has taken a week for me of careful listening to really appreciate their qualities and purpose. Ultimately, I love these headphones and...
Overview, design and build: The CKR10 is currently the flagship dynamic driver earphones from Audio Technica. I bought it used from another Head-Fi user. Packaging and accesories are simple but...
Question about the term basshead headphonespost #1 of 311/27/12 at 8:44pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 311/27/12 at 8:53pm
Some bass heavy headphones have bloated bass, it affects the mids and the whole spectrum. While other bass heavy headphones have the right balance of quality and quantity.
I hope this answers your questionpost #3 of 311/27/12 at 10:35pm
Well for me the term basshead headphones just means it has a quantity of bass that is north of that of +5dB or so. There are good sounding basshead headphones and bad sounding basshead headphones. :)
Good sounding basshead headphones (at their pricepoint) is for example Sony XB series, AKG K518, K81, K181, Audio Technica ATH-WS55, PRO700MK2, Ultrasone HFI-580, V-Moda, LP1, LP2, M100, M-Audio Q40, UE6000 etc.
Bad sounding basshead headphones would be for example the old lower-end Skullcandy headphones, Beats by Dr Dre headphones.
Quality wise you should be listening for if the bass sounds controlled, is it boomy (single note bass without any detail, compare car subwoofer setups, it's just bunch of WROOM-WROOM, BOOOM-BOOOM sound) or textured (all bass details are present)? does it affect mids or not? Does it only appear where it should be? Is there a lot of resonance (which will result in lack of texture as the finer details in bass will be masked by the reverb and sounds "mushy"/smeared in the bass)? Is it loose (slow, a bit all over the place) or tight (punchy, snappier, this kind of bass usually lets you hear more details)?
Of course all this has very little meaning to you if you haven't heard several different headphones so you get a little better experience of exactly how it can sound like, even a bad quality basshead headphone can sound very good to you if you haven't heard any better and don't know how it CAN sound like. At first I was using a Sennheiser HD212pro which is certainly a basshead headphone and I absolutely loved it back then. Today I'm facepalming when I put them on and can't understand how I could concider that headphone sounding so good.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 11/27/12 at 11:02pm
- Question about the term basshead headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series just now
- › JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 3 minutes ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 4 minutes ago
- › Objectivists board room 5 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 5 minutes ago
- › Vestax PMC-05 Pro DJ mixer and custom hard case 6 minutes ago
- › CUSTOMART AU/NZ CIEM Demo Lineup Tour 6 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Brainwavz Jive by peter123
- › SoundMAGIC E50S In Ear Isolating Earphones with Microphone - RED by pformagg
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by Malfunkt
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by ezekiel77
- › SMSL sApII Pro by DaveLT
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio Portable Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier by AnakChan
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2