What differentaites a basshead headphone from a really crappy bass heavy headphone? Like what am I supposed to be listeninig for?
- productAKG High Performance Closed-Back DJ Headphones - K181DJtagged by System, 12/2/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 12/2/12
- productAKG K81DJ Akg Closed-Back Folding Dj Headphonetagged by System, 12/2/12
- productAUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productAudio-Technica Solid Bass Over-Ear Headphones (ATH-WS55BK)tagged by System, 12/2/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/2/12
- productLogitech UE 6000tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 12/2/12
- productSennheiser HD 212 Headphonestagged by System, 12/2/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/2/12More
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productV-MODA LP2tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productV-MODA XFLPR-ROUGE Crossfade LP Overear Headphones (Rouge)tagged by System, 12/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones Last post on 12/13/12 at 10:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dubstep headphone Last post on 2/17/14 at 1:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First "real" headphones Last post on 11/22/12 at 2:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dubstep Headphones!?! Last post on 11/18/12 at 10:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for the perfect pair of headphones Last post on 10/16/12 at 8:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
USED Shure E5, 425, 535 EX1000 is a good start to have a taste of pro sound. Islation is not that good when music isnt playing.
got one bad connection and replaced. But still you have to carry it carefully. Sound quality definitely improved.
Setting buttons easily to get clicked if you hand helding it. USB connection plug or jack is better than mico USB kind. For similar price, there are better, smaller one in the...
Question about the term basshead headphonespost #1 of 311/27/12 at 8:44pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 311/27/12 at 8:53pm
Some bass heavy headphones have bloated bass, it affects the mids and the whole spectrum. While other bass heavy headphones have the right balance of quality and quantity.
I hope this answers your questionpost #3 of 311/27/12 at 10:35pm
Well for me the term basshead headphones just means it has a quantity of bass that is north of that of +5dB or so. There are good sounding basshead headphones and bad sounding basshead headphones. :)
Good sounding basshead headphones (at their pricepoint) is for example Sony XB series, AKG K518, K81, K181, Audio Technica ATH-WS55, PRO700MK2, Ultrasone HFI-580, V-Moda, LP1, LP2, M100, M-Audio Q40, UE6000 etc.
Bad sounding basshead headphones would be for example the old lower-end Skullcandy headphones, Beats by Dr Dre headphones.
Quality wise you should be listening for if the bass sounds controlled, is it boomy (single note bass without any detail, compare car subwoofer setups, it's just bunch of WROOM-WROOM, BOOOM-BOOOM sound) or textured (all bass details are present)? does it affect mids or not? Does it only appear where it should be? Is there a lot of resonance (which will result in lack of texture as the finer details in bass will be masked by the reverb and sounds "mushy"/smeared in the bass)? Is it loose (slow, a bit all over the place) or tight (punchy, snappier, this kind of bass usually lets you hear more details)?
Of course all this has very little meaning to you if you haven't heard several different headphones so you get a little better experience of exactly how it can sound like, even a bad quality basshead headphone can sound very good to you if you haven't heard any better and don't know how it CAN sound like. At first I was using a Sennheiser HD212pro which is certainly a basshead headphone and I absolutely loved it back then. Today I'm facepalming when I put them on and can't understand how I could concider that headphone sounding so good.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 11/27/12 at 11:02pm
- Question about the term basshead headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 20 seconds ago
- › The "speed" of headphones 24 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 2 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 2 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 3 minutes ago
- › JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite! 3 minutes ago
- › Comparing recordings 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Questyle QP1 9 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 9 minutes ago
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones by Chu
- › Calyx Audio PaT Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier - Gold by nmatheis
- › Pioneer HRM-7 Professional Studio Headphones by grizzlybeast
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2