Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Which Cheap Portable Music Player is Best
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which Cheap Portable Music Player is Best

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi, I'm new on Head-fi, but I'm looking for the best-quality portable music player for under $400. I've heard the Sansa Clip+, or Cowon V5 is good, but I'm open to suggestions. I have a sony mdr-zx600 set of headphones, but wouldn't mind getting better ones (if my headphones are the bottleneck) Thanks!

post #2 of 16

I have the Sansa Clip+ and Clip Zip.  I think both are terrific sounding for the low cost and much easier to use than anything iPod.  Only problem is that they are sensitive to moisture so if you think you want to use them at the gym, you need to get a plastic cover for about 5 bucks.

 

For $400, have you thought about just a high-end phone? I have a Samsung Stratosphere and I think it's a pretty impressive player, particularly with the added Poweramp app.

post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strages View Post

Hi, I'm new on Head-fi, but I'm looking for the best-quality portable music player for under $400. I've heard the Sansa Clip+, or Cowon V5 is good, but I'm open to suggestions. I have a sony mdr-zx600 set of headphones, but wouldn't mind getting better ones (if my headphones are the bottleneck) Thanks!

Might try posting your question on the website anythingbutipod.

I think my Sony E series E465 16GB is a good mp3 player, $110

Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones, $200, seem to be recommend a lot.

As the Senn HD25-1 II is 70-Ohms, the Sony e465 should be able to drive it.

But you can always get a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier ($62) to get the best possible audio quality from the HD25-1 II.

post #4 of 16

One vote more for Sansa Clip Zip and Sansa Clip +.

post #5 of 16

For that amount, depends on what your priority is. If you don't want a lot of storage, you can get a Clip+/Clip Zip and spend the rest on a good pair of headphone.

Otherwise if you want lots of storage, the iPod classic is a good choice.

post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 

Is there any sound-quality difference between the iPod and the clip+? Or if I bought the Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones, and spent a little extra, would the Cowon Z2 be much better in terms of sound quality? I mostly listen to classical music, but I do listen to Rock from time to time. Thanks.
 

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strages View Post

Is there any sound-quality difference between the iPod and the clip+? Or if I bought the Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones, and spent a little extra, would the Cowon Z2 be much better in terms of sound quality? I mostly listen to classical music, but I do listen to Rock from time to time. Thanks.
 

Ask on the website anythinbutipod

post #8 of 16
Another vote for Clip+! With $400 you could buy 16 of them.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strages View Post

Is there any sound-quality difference between the iPod and the clip+? Or if I bought the Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones, and spent a little extra, would the Cowon Z2 be much better in terms of sound quality? I mostly listen to classical music, but I do listen to Rock from time to time. Thanks.
 


Even if there's no difference, they're still competing on different price brackets, and that makes the Clip+/Zip a bargain. You can get the Sennheiser Amperior or Momentum with the left over amount.

post #10 of 16
Does anyone know how the clips compare to a voodoo SGS? I currently have a voodoo samsung captivate, but it''s starting to fall apart after 3 years and I'm probably going to pick up a Nexus 4, so I need a standalone PMP.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustwulf View Post

Does anyone know how the clips compare to a voodoo SGS? I currently have a voodoo samsung captivate, but it''s starting to fall apart after 3 years and I'm probably going to pick up a Nexus 4, so I need a standalone PMP.


First, I don't know, and second, pls don't hijack the thread.

post #12 of 16
Not hijacking, figured it's a related question with a relatively short answer that didn't warrant an entire thread.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strages View Post

Hi, I'm new on Head-fi, but I'm looking for the best-quality portable music player for under $400. I've heard the Sansa Clip+, or Cowon V5 is good, but I'm open to suggestions. I have a sony mdr-zx600 set of headphones, but wouldn't mind getting better ones (if my headphones are the bottleneck) Thanks!

Why people always ask the same things withour reading? Is a waste of time for us to answer over and over again.

1.Best cheepest mp3 player: Sandisk Sansa Clip+

2.Best expensive DAP: Tera Player, Ibasso DX100, Hifiman HM 801, iRiver Ak100.Do your research next time, is very easy.

post #14 of 16

I'm not sure I can compare the SGS with Clips. They're targeting different segments. For audio generally, the Clips are pretty transparent. Even if they do sound similar, the Clips are substantially cheaper.

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Ask on the website anythinbutipod

 

Okay, I will.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post

Why people always ask the same things withour reading? Is a waste of time for us to answer over and over again.

1.Best cheepest mp3 player: Sandisk Sansa Clip+

2.Best expensive DAP: Tera Player, Ibasso DX100, Hifiman HM 801, iRiver Ak100.Do your research next time, is very easy.

 

Sorry, I was searching, but I didn't find a straight answer. Thank you!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Which Cheap Portable Music Player is Best