Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 11/27/15 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Hidizs AP60 Review: A Tiny Little Fighter Hidizs is a Chinese company that’s been building DAPs for number of years now, starting with their current flagship, the AP100, a device I’ve really...
REVIEW: Remax RM-800MD Specifications: Driver: Knowles Balanced armature + 9.2mm dynamic driver Impedance: 16ohm Sensitivity: 98dB Frequency Response: 20Hz-20 kHz Price: U$D...
First of all, I'd like to thank Burson Audio for giving me this opportunity. I really mean it. Secondly, this is my first review what so ever so please bear that in mind :) . I got home one...
Inside the box Besides the headphone's being neatly folded inside of the box, they give you an manual and two cables. The first cable is an USB cable which is used to charge the battery inside of...
For larger images - please click individual photosINTRODUCTIONThis was the 2nd round of the HifiMan review tour of the two new DAPs in their portfolio. I posted the review of the SuperMini earlier...
Headphone Burn-in doesn't existpost #1 of 4711/26/12 at 1:39amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 4711/26/12 at 2:49ampost #3 of 4711/26/12 at 3:07amActually, these tests do show some very slight changes in measurements over time, so small that they are likely not audible. CSD plots indicate driver ringing (ringing is audible as a sharp, piercing quality to the sound) is subtly reduced over time. IMD is also significantly reduced over time. Likely, all of this is amplified by placebo, brain burn-in etc. but it is clear that there is some small change. How audible this is is very highly debatable, as Tyll explains in his conclusion to the article. Either way, it is probably safe to say that burn-in is not snake oil; however, it is very subtle at best and probably inaudible in most headphones.post #4 of 4711/26/12 at 3:42ampost #5 of 4711/26/12 at 6:44amThread Starterpost #6 of 4711/26/12 at 7:27ampost #7 of 4711/26/12 at 8:04am
Burn in definitely exists. The big myth is that it always sounds better. Some headphones actually sound worse with excessive use. Some sound better. Some don't change at all.
There's a lot of silly mysticism surrounding what is effectively just the same material wear we see in anything else we buy.
So far the most noticeable case of positive burnin for me has been the two different SRH840s I've owned, both of which had their treble turn from crowded and piercing to quite pleasant over time.
Edited by machoboy - 11/26/12 at 8:06ampost #8 of 4711/26/12 at 9:23amNot sure if this is a troll thread or not, but here goes:
- In legitimate science, it is considered very poor form to cherry-pick resources that disagree with your findings (in other words, Tyll did not say "proof" and you did - that's poor form).
- It is also considered extremely poor form to secondarily re-interpret someone's data unless you're repeating the study.
- Finally, there is no "proof" within science.
This discussion has been had out a thousand times before, and despite your best efforts (no matter how loud you can yell), you will not see it solved. I'm glad that you feel comfortable enough to express your opinion on the matter, and I can respect that, but I don't think we're going to accomplish anything here - unfortunately. No ill will is meant by this, just a reality check (since you seem new here).post #9 of 4711/26/12 at 9:40ampost #10 of 4711/26/12 at 9:52amQuote:
Have you read the whole article? The slight 'breathing' in the lower mids is explained as being caused by temperature change between night and day, but the other measured changes cannot be explained in this way, most notably the reduced driver ringing and reduced IMD.Quote:
Head-fi definitely does drink a lot of snake oil and this is why it is great that a guy like Tyll is trying to contribute some objective data that can shed a light on what is real and what is imagined. The difference between burn-in and cables is that while there is some indication based on objective measurements that burn-in is not a myth, there is absolutely no evidence at all that would suggest that changing cables is actually audible.post #11 of 476/13/13 at 12:10pmThread Starterpost #12 of 476/13/13 at 1:27pmCount me in to the break-in is a myth and cables only look better crowd. Any changes in either are so miniscule that they don't matter at all. (to me...)
To quantify the change: 0.001%
The break-in/burn-in is in ones head. And while I respect Innerfidelity, many factors in his tests are not controlled enough to be objective. Air temp, pressure and headphone positioning come to mind. But big respect for him to actually doing something!
Edited by ev13wt - 6/13/13 at 1:32pmpost #13 of 476/13/13 at 1:38pm
So the innumerable audiophiles and head-fi members that CAN attest to the significance of burn-in and discern it audibly are what? Deluded? Mistaken? Brain washed? Or just have plain dodgy hearing?!?
Until you can prove unquestionably and irrefutably that burn-in doesn't exist, to my mind and ears it does.
Andy.post #14 of 476/13/13 at 1:42pm
it's most likely the ears/perception adjusting but i have no proof/science.
i know that my a900x sound worse to me now (after 6 months of heavy listening) than they did in the first week i had them but i'm guessing it's my ears and perception more than anything.
Edited by Nowhere - 6/13/13 at 4:16pmpost #15 of 476/13/13 at 2:37pmI cannot say for certain with regards to headphones, but burn in/break in is definitely real with regards to woofers and subwoofers in speakers. I am not sure if there is much breaking in with the tweeters and midrange drivers in speakers though.
There is a definite day and night difference between a particular quality unbroken in subwoofer vs the same subwoofer but broken in. The bass will usually sound thinner before it has a chance to get broken in.
With headphones, though, I am not so sure. The design differences of the drivers in headphones are much different than the design differences of woofers.
Simply put, woofers move, flex, and push air quite a bit differently than tweeters in speakers (whether it is a dome, ribbon, planar magnetic, etc.) or the various drivers in headphones.
- Headphone Burn-in doesn't exist
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 50 seconds ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 1 minute ago
- › TOTALDAC DAC 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Etymotic ER4-XR & ER4-SR Head-Fi Reviewers Wanted. 4 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by Cinder
- › Remax RM-800MD by Zelda
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by killerline
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by peter123
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Obery
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by Delance26
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...