I find both HD800 and T1 to be uncomfortable on my head even though these may be the top-of-the-line headphones. I don't know, maybe the large earcups that cover the entire ear, resting on the jawline that creates the uncomfortable feeling, or the combination of the clamping force, large earcups and weight of the whole thing sitting on the head. I would appreciate recommendations on supra-aural headphones that in my mind will be a lot more comfortable than these circum-aural headphones since they are lighter and don't clamp hard on the jawline. Any experiences would be appreciated.
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 12/2/12
- productSennheiser HD 238 Stereo Open Aire Headphonetagged by System, 12/2/12
- productSennheiser HD 239 Headphones Blacktagged by System, 12/2/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 12/2/12
- productSennheiser MOMENTUMtagged by System, 12/2/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 12/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Is the Sennheiser Momentum More Comfortable Than HD800 and Beyerdynamic T1? Last post on 11/26/12 at 4:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What to get for Christmas? Last post on 12/6/12 at 3:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn Momentums, lateral upgrade or ? Last post on 3/5/15 at 7:03am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD800 vs Beyerdynamic T1 vs Grado GS1000 Last post on 2/3/15 at 11:03am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero By NLNH around April 16th. I received...
Background: I am not an audiophile, I just like to enjoy music in good quality. This writing is more like a collection of subjective experience and impressions rather than a professional review....
These headphones need to be amped. If you choose to use them without doing so, they will sound weak and lifeless. The complaints I read about seem to me to be with people that haven't synergized...
For my taste are too analitical cans.I try to remove the high frequencies sibiling using several different tips...shure triple compy foam....nothing they remain too harsh for my tasty. I also...
Which Supra-aural Headphones That Are More Comfortable Than Sennheiser HD800 and Beyerdynamic T1?post #1 of 1611/25/12 at 11:48pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1611/25/12 at 11:50pmThread Starter
I looked at the HD238 and 239 but there were some comments that the Grado SR80 are more comfortable. Any other recommendations?
All I need is comfort on the ears. Sound quality secondary. If the sound quality is stellar but I can't have the headphones on my head for long periods, that will defeat the purpose.
What are the most comfortable supra-aural headphones in the market now?post #3 of 1611/26/12 at 2:30pmpost #4 of 1611/26/12 at 3:57pmThread Starter
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the Momentum and it does look good, but the earcups a quite large and nearly covers the entire ear. I don't know, but for me I feel that the smaller the earcups the more comfortable the headphones will be although sound will leak out considerably more. I don't mind sacrificing a bit of quality over comfort. I want a light headphones with the smallest earcups possible, definitely supra-aural but with smaller earcups.
Anyway I will try the Momentum, but would appreciate any other suggestions headphones that are lighter and have smaller earcups, headphones that are so comfortable that you don't even know that they are resting on the head. The T1 and HD800 are just plain uncomfortable mainly due to the circum-aural design, big and heavy. I know this will not be applicable to everyone. As much as I love the sound quality from these headphones, I can't have them on my head for more than 15 minutes.
Thanks.post #5 of 1611/26/12 at 4:23pmpost #6 of 1611/26/12 at 4:24pmThread Starter
Eron, thanks. Have you tried the HD800 and T1? Are your comments on the Momentum relative to these headphones? The reason I ask is because I have tried and owned both and they didn't do it for me.
THanks.post #7 of 1611/26/12 at 4:27pmThread Starter
It is good to note that the clamping force on the Momentum is low. The clamping force is the deal breaker and main reason why I find most if not all headphones to be uncomfortable, especially the fuller-sized circum-aural ones which exert quite a bit of force on the cheek/jaw line due to the large size of it and the weight. Without a reasonably high clamping force the larger and heavier headphones will not stay put and fall off. That is the reason I am in favor of small and light headphones(with small earcups) with the lowest clamping force possible.post #8 of 1611/26/12 at 4:38pm
No, I have not tried both, but in comparison to Ultrasone Signature Pro, Mad Dogs, and a HD598, the Momentums are really light on the head, with minimal clamping force. With the Momentums, there's zero effort moving around. Wires are really light too. A very good portable in that sense. Well-designed and thought through.
If you have issue with clamping force, you can try bending the headband outwards, holding them for a few seconds, and repeating it a few times.post #9 of 1611/26/12 at 4:44pmThread Starter
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.
If I read correctly ,you are suggesting that the Momentum is more comfortable than the HD598, possibly exerting less clamping force than the HD598? If that's the case, the Momentum must be more comfortable than the HD800 since I've read a few comments that the HD598 is more comfortable than the HD800. Will look at the Momentum. It does look pretty cool but that's not what I am looking for. I'm looking for comfort as main priority, sound quality secondary and sex appeal last.
Cheers.post #10 of 1611/26/12 at 5:33pm
When I said they are well-designed, I was referring to the functionality. Of course, they do look good. The earpads are covered with soft lambskin. Very comfortable. My recommendation was done based on the comfort you are seeking.
According to Anakchan, the Sony MDR-1R are very comfortable. Have a try with those as well. They are circum-aural though.post #11 of 161/6/13 at 5:06ampost #12 of 161/6/13 at 5:07ampost #13 of 162/9/13 at 10:04pm
I can't stand wearing full sized headphones because of the weight and circumaural fit. Living in a seasonally hot climate the heat gets irritating really quickly. That's why IEMs and quality earbuds are my mainstays. However even from these the ears need a rest.
I've had a pair of MS-1i for about a week and they are very comfortable for me. I've also got a pair of P5s and TMA-1s on the way. I thought about getting the Momentums but on my ears they sit half on and half off.post #14 of 162/9/13 at 10:18pm
- Which Supra-aural Headphones That Are More Comfortable Than Sennheiser HD800 and Beyerdynamic T1?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 1 minute ago
- › JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite! 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 5 minutes ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 10 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 11 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 16 minutes ago
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...