I need at least 30 GBs of memory. What player will give me the best SQ? I've been looking at the iPod classic 7th gen, but I've heard some people say it lacks good SQ, is that true? I'm willing to go a little higher on my budget if needed. Thank you!
- productApple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODELtagged by System, 12/1/12
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 12/1/12
- productHM-601 Music Playerstagged by System, 12/1/12
- productSamsung Galaxy Player 4.2 (YP-GI1CB/XAA)tagged by System, 12/1/12
- productSanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 12/1/12
- productSONY Android WALKMAN Z-1000 Series 64GB | NW-Z1070-B Black (Japan Model)tagged by System, 12/1/12
- productSony NWZ-F806BLK 32 GB Walkman Digital Media Playertagged by System, 12/1/12
Related Forum Threads
- dont know what portable music player to buy Last post on 11/3/12 at 10:36pm in Portable Source Gear
- Looking for a new portable source (DAP / Smartphone) Last post on 10/9/12 at 9:44pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable source opinions wanted! Last post on 9/17/12 at 5:30pm in Portable Source Gear
- iPod Nano 7G opinions Last post on 3/16/13 at 10:49am in Portable Source Gear
- looking for new DAP. Last post on 8/19/12 at 9:51pm in Portable Source Gear
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Last edited: 12/28/12
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
Can anyone point me towards a good DAP for under $250?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No, the iPod Classic is a very good player. Its only downside is its (IIRC) 5 ohm output impedance, which could be a problem with very low impedance IEMs with impedance peaks at certain frequencies. It's not a problem with most headphones.
There's also the Sansa Clip+ which measures just as well as the iPod, but has a near perfect 1 ohm output impedance. You could get a 32 GB microsdhc card for it, or a 64 GB microsdxc card formatted as FAT32. The Clip+ has less output power than the iPod though (it doesn't get as loud) and its battery life is half of the iPod's (15 vs. 30+ hours).
You can install Rockbox on both players.
The Sony Z series, F series walkmen, HM-601, Samsung Galaxy player 4.2 are great buy because they sound great out of HP jack and improve further with AMPs help.
Rock box is a free software that installs a new program & UI for using with ipod classics and other media players. It is nothing like iTunes and from what I've gathered, it allows you to drag & drop files & play it flawlessly with custom skins, equalizations etc.
Remember it's mostly for ipod upto generation 5. Although there is way of getting around it with the newer generation classics.
I realize that they will play, but the screen is really too small for video use.
AS far as sound goes, the Hm601 is magical with a very warm NOS DAC TDA1543, it is musically fantastic! Sounds woderfully real. Ofc detail wise it's a 7/10, but it has that wonderful warm tube-ish sound and really magical mids!
I love it, and the SD card slot, makes expandable storage pretty easy imo. I got a 32gb Kingston Class 4 in there that's works just fine! The only issue is the Hifiman does not work with Apple...
[which just makes me love it all the more <3]
- Can anyone point me towards a good DAP for under $250?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Can I use Vsonic gr07 mkII for gym? 3 seconds ago
- › The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games) 13 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 14 seconds ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 22 seconds ago
- › DAC/DAP/Amp? Advice needed! 56 seconds ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-7520 1 minute ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Owner's Club / Appreciation /... 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi