I need at least 30 GBs of memory. What player will give me the best SQ? I've been looking at the iPod classic 7th gen, but I've heard some people say it lacks good SQ, is that true? I'm willing to go a little higher on my budget if needed. Thank you!
- itemApple IPod Classic 160 GB Silver 7th Generation NEWEST MODEL
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Players
- itemHM 601 Music Players
- itemSamsung Galaxy Player 4 2 YP GI1CB XAA
- itemSanDisk Sansa Clip 8 GB MP3 Player Black
- itemSONY Android WALKMAN Z 1000 Series 64GB NW Z1070 B Black Japan Model
- itemSony NWZ F806BLK 32 GB Walkman Digital Media Player
Related Forum Threads
- dont know what portable music player to buy Last post on 11/3/12 at 10:36pm in Portable Source Gear
- Looking for a new portable source (DAP / Smartphone) Last post on 10/9/12 at 9:44pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable source opinions wanted! Last post on 9/17/12 at 5:30pm in Portable Source Gear
- iPod Nano 7G opinions Last post on 3/16/13 at 10:49am in Portable Source Gear
- looking for new DAP. Last post on 8/19/12 at 9:51pm in Portable Source Gear
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Edited on 12/28/12
Related Head Gear
Can anyone point me towards a good DAP for under $250?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No, the iPod Classic is a very good player. Its only downside is its (IIRC) 5 ohm output impedance, which could be a problem with very low impedance IEMs with impedance peaks at certain frequencies. It's not a problem with most headphones.
There's also the Sansa Clip+ which measures just as well as the iPod, but has a near perfect 1 ohm output impedance. You could get a 32 GB microsdhc card for it, or a 64 GB microsdxc card formatted as FAT32. The Clip+ has less output power than the iPod though (it doesn't get as loud) and its battery life is half of the iPod's (15 vs. 30+ hours).
You can install Rockbox on both players.
The Sony Z series, F series walkmen, HM-601, Samsung Galaxy player 4.2 are great buy because they sound great out of HP jack and improve further with AMPs help.
Rock box is a free software that installs a new program & UI for using with ipod classics and other media players. It is nothing like iTunes and from what I've gathered, it allows you to drag & drop files & play it flawlessly with custom skins, equalizations etc.
Remember it's mostly for ipod upto generation 5. Although there is way of getting around it with the newer generation classics.
I realize that they will play, but the screen is really too small for video use.
AS far as sound goes, the Hm601 is magical with a very warm NOS DAC TDA1543, it is musically fantastic! Sounds woderfully real. Ofc detail wise it's a 7/10, but it has that wonderful warm tube-ish sound and really magical mids!
I love it, and the SD card slot, makes expandable storage pretty easy imo. I got a 32gb Kingston Class 4 in there that's works just fine! The only issue is the Hifiman does not work with Apple...
[which just makes me love it all the more <3]
- Can anyone point me towards a good DAP for under $250?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › BEST HEADPHONES FOR METAL/ROCK 1 minute ago
- › The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X3 Thread. Full review:... 2 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 3 minutes ago
- › The Best Way to play our Audio file in Hifi System 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - a review in progress: Factory visit starting pg... 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 5 minutes ago
- › Roll Call for Team AKG 5 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by danikus
- › Skullcandy S2SYDA-008 Merge Earbud Headphones - Black/Chrome by KodaO
- › VSONIC VSD1 by TheGame21x
- › Audio Technica W5000 by the wizard of oz
- › Harmon Kardon Classic On-Ear Headphones by imagic
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by imagic
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by Aakash
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by iern
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by jensy
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe