I need at least 30 GBs of memory. What player will give me the best SQ? I've been looking at the iPod classic 7th gen, but I've heard some people say it lacks good SQ, is that true? I'm willing to go a little higher on my budget if needed. Thank you!
- productApple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODELtagged by System, 12/1/12
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 12/1/12
- productHM-601 Music Playerstagged by System, 12/1/12
- productSamsung Galaxy Player 4.2 (YP-GI1CB/XAA)tagged by System, 12/1/12
- productSanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 12/1/12
- productSONY Android WALKMAN Z-1000 Series 64GB | NW-Z1070-B Black (Japan Model)tagged by System, 12/1/12
- productSony NWZ-F806BLK 32 GB Walkman Digital Media Playertagged by System, 12/1/12
Related Forum Threads
- dont know what portable music player to buy Last post on 11/3/12 at 10:36pm in Portable Source Gear
- Looking for a new portable source (DAP / Smartphone) Last post on 10/9/12 at 9:44pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable source opinions wanted! Last post on 9/17/12 at 5:30pm in Portable Source Gear
- iPod Nano 7G opinions Last post on 3/29/14 at 11:04pm in Portable Source Gear
- looking for new DAP. Last post on 8/19/12 at 9:51pm in Portable Source Gear
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Last edited: 12/28/12
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
Can anyone point me towards a good DAP for under $250?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No, the iPod Classic is a very good player. Its only downside is its (IIRC) 5 ohm output impedance, which could be a problem with very low impedance IEMs with impedance peaks at certain frequencies. It's not a problem with most headphones.
There's also the Sansa Clip+ which measures just as well as the iPod, but has a near perfect 1 ohm output impedance. You could get a 32 GB microsdhc card for it, or a 64 GB microsdxc card formatted as FAT32. The Clip+ has less output power than the iPod though (it doesn't get as loud) and its battery life is half of the iPod's (15 vs. 30+ hours).
You can install Rockbox on both players.
The Sony Z series, F series walkmen, HM-601, Samsung Galaxy player 4.2 are great buy because they sound great out of HP jack and improve further with AMPs help.
Rock box is a free software that installs a new program & UI for using with ipod classics and other media players. It is nothing like iTunes and from what I've gathered, it allows you to drag & drop files & play it flawlessly with custom skins, equalizations etc.
Remember it's mostly for ipod upto generation 5. Although there is way of getting around it with the newer generation classics.
I realize that they will play, but the screen is really too small for video use.
AS far as sound goes, the Hm601 is magical with a very warm NOS DAC TDA1543, it is musically fantastic! Sounds woderfully real. Ofc detail wise it's a 7/10, but it has that wonderful warm tube-ish sound and really magical mids!
I love it, and the SD card slot, makes expandable storage pretty easy imo. I got a 32gb Kingston Class 4 in there that's works just fine! The only issue is the Hifiman does not work with Apple...
[which just makes me love it all the more <3]
- Can anyone point me towards a good DAP for under $250?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 19 seconds ago
- › Need help determining if my new Ultimate Ears Custom In-Ear... 55 seconds ago
- › O2 headamp output booster & modification PCB 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE400 ( mint + unused velour and canare cables ) 2 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › HD600 and Toxic cables 3 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 3 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob