Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › One of the worst reviews of all time? USA Today on the Grado SR80's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One of the worst reviews of all time? USA Today on the Grado SR80's - Page 2

post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

Here's what he lists as one of the "cons" for the Denon 7ks...

 

"Not designed with studio mixers in mind"

 

rolleyes.gif

Here's more amazing info on the Denons...hell, the second sentence doesn't even make sense! 

 

"... the Denon AH-D7000s stay within our ideal limits for a good range of frequencies, but they do boost some of the higher frequencies to emphasize cymbal shimmer a bit, and de-emphasize sibilants in speech. Typically we see headphones geared towards listeners emphasize the bass frequencies too, as you can see from the leading edge of the graph."

 

http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content/Denon-AH-D7000-Over-ear-Headphone-Review/Sound-Quality.htm

That is a true con.  It is another way of saying it has a v shaped or "fun" response - which would be horrible for people doing mixing in the studio (a decent amount of mid-fi headphones are for studio use.)  

 

The second part is saying headphones geared towards "listeners" (ie who listen for fun and not to analyze a track) often have a bass hump, which is also true.  

 

He's not Tyll, he's not Purrin, but again, for a guy on usatoday.com this is really a pleasant surprise all around.

 

As for the Q701, I'm not sure what he's saying there, it's possible he just hasn't reviewed better headphones yet.  


Edited by Radio_head - 11/25/12 at 10:15pm
post #17 of 35

Questionable review site :/  

post #18 of 35

Oh USA Today... you so silly. 

 

Let me edit your last paragraph to make sense.

 

So while they are very  uncomfortable, but look cool, the Grado Labs SR80i headphones are a bad choice for the everyday bus commuting library working crowd. As a budget solution with above-average sound quality, though, they are not a bad bet for the average metal head looking to get his/her fix of metal or the many many offshoots it has produced.

 

Also really uncool using contractions in a publication... makes you look lazy. 

post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

That is a true con.  It is another way of saying it has a v shaped or "fun" response - which would be horrible for people doing mixing in the studio (a decent amount of mid-fi headphones are for studio use.)  

 

The second part is saying headphones geared towards "listeners" (ie who listen for fun and not to analyze a track) often have a bass hump, which is also true.  

 

He's not Tyll, he's not Purrin, but again, for a guy on usatoday.com this is really a pleasant surprise all around.

 

As for the Q701, I'm not sure what he's saying there, it's possible he just hasn't reviewed better headphones yet.  

 

 

I see. So I guess when he says, " If you like many ranges of instrument attack to remain where they should be with a flat response, pick up the AH-D7000s." he's talking about that "fun v shape"?  C'mon man....lol  

 

I am going to resist the urge to even respond to the "listeners" thing...lol

post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

We can agree to disagree, man....if that's your idea of a good review, and if you think the Q701s are a perfect 10/10 headphone, then you go have at it :)  

 

If you read through the comments on his other reviews, you'll see that plenty of people take issue with some of their nonsense...

 

Have a go at what? Recognizing that Q701s are considered to be very good headphones to some people? OK.

 

And people will defend their beloved headphones/companies to death... even awful headphones like the Sennheiser hd280 pros, which the reviewer rightly lambasted, which I respect him for.

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

 

Have a go at what? Recognizing that Q701s are considered to be very good headphones to some people? OK.

 

And people will defend their beloved headphones/companies to death... even awful headphones like the Sennheiser hd280 pros, which the reviewer rightly lambasted, which I respect him for.

 

No, no, no....I can't....it's been way too much fun already...you guys enjoy! wink.gif

post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

No, no, no....I can't....it's been way too much fun already...you guys enjoy! wink.gif

 

You've chosen a very apt moniker

post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

I see. So I guess when he says, " If you like many ranges of instrument attack to remain where they should be with a flat response, pick up the AH-D7000s." he's talking about that "fun v shape"?  C'mon man....lol  

 

I am going to resist the urge to even respond to the "listeners" thing...lol

I must admit, that does sound like self contradiction, unless it is in comparison to the D5000's which he considers even more colored, though I'm not sure the FR he took bears that out.  The review is 14 pages, so I guess he gets one mulligan.   However, it bears repeating: there are far worse reviews out there.  This reviewer may not be the best writer (either english isn't his first language or he was chosen for his ability to set up a measurement system) but he is generally pretty accurate, honest, and informative.

 

What it appears is really going on is someone is saying something negative about products members here have personal attachments to.  The natural response is to be defensive, even aggressively so.  To an objective party what he's saying is not that objectionable, though it certainly isn't gospel and its still just one man's opinion.

post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

So they didn't completely love a head-fi darling headphone that much. How is it a bad review?

I think it is better than a lot of the nonsensical reviews I've read by audiophiles.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

 

Um, yeah?

You seem to be coming off super defensive and aggressive in your posts. "They really are just reviewing them based on one person's opinion." I said that to state that the reviewer is expressing his opinion, and is telling us his personal issues he had with the headphone, making the review just fine and not "one of the worst". Not sure why you had to make a post just to say "Um, Yeah?" Unless you're trying to just get more post counts with un-constructive responses. ^_~

post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCxSmacker View Post

You seem to be coming off super defensive and aggressive in your posts. "They really are just reviewing them based on one person's opinion." I said that to state that the reviewer is expressing his opinion, and is telling us his personal issues he had with the headphone, making the review just fine and not "one of the worst". Not sure why you had to make a post just to say "Um, Yeah?" Unless you're trying to just get more post counts with un-constructive responses. ^_~

 

lol, and I'm the one being defensive and un-constructive...

 

 

Look, I am in general tired of the amount of raving hype certain audio products garner on head-fi. Calling this review "one of the worst reviews of all time" because it basically gives the sr80 only a good rating and not a raving-mad stellar rating is a demonstration of this.

post #26 of 35

Who is even talking about the Grados? lol  Who cares what score some guy gives a headphone? Your posts seem to have very little to do with the criticisms of the article that are being brought up.  

post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

 

lol, and I'm the one being defensive and un-constructive...

 

 

Look, I am in general tired of the amount of raving hype certain audio products garner on head-fi. Calling this review "one of the worst reviews of all time" because it basically gives the sr80 only a good rating and not a raving-mad stellar rating is a demonstration of this.

Your rebuttal makes no sense. I think is had came down to you're mad cuz bad bro? ^_~ anyway done with this thread. No more food for the troll.

 

cheers

post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

Who is even talking about the Grados? lol  Who cares what score some guy gives a headphone? Your posts seem to have very little to do with the criticisms of the article that are being brought up.  

 

You certainly aren't talking about the Grados, you instead picked through this guys other reviews of the akg Q701, and denon d7000.. so don't try to tell me I am off topic. LOL.

post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCxSmacker View Post

Your rebuttal makes no sense. I think is had came down to you're mad cuz bad bro? ^_~ anyway done with this thread. No more food for the troll.

 

cheers

 

Uh, I was saying your post is defensive and not constructive. It's not that hard to understand, bro.

post #30 of 35
Lol reviews are always subjective because THEY ARE one person's opinion. Talking about over reaction.
Edited by syryanyang - 11/26/12 at 1:53am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › One of the worst reviews of all time? USA Today on the Grado SR80's