- 432 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productEtymotic Research HF3tagged by System, 11/28/12
- productEtymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productFischer Audio Silver Bulletstagged by System, 11/28/12
- productHEAD-DIRECT HiFiMan RE-262tagged by System, 11/28/12
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE0 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 11/28/12
- productJVC HA-FXD80tagged by System, 11/28/12
- productJVC Kenwood Victor Inner year Headphone HA-FX3Xtagged by System, 11/28/12
- productMonster Turbine In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productShure SE215tagged by System, 11/28/12More
- productSony MDR-EX500LP Vertical In-the-Ear Style EX Style Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productSony MH1 Livesound Hi-Fi Stereo In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productSoundmagic E10tagged by System, 11/28/12
- productUltimate Ears 700 Noise Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productYamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Broke my Etymotics...didn't care for them anyways. Need new CHEAP IEM's. help! Last post on 12/3/12 at 8:00am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Durable IEMs for less than 100$ Last post on 3/10/13 at 10:41am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM's for electronic/house music under $100 Last post on 11/28/12 at 9:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which IEM with no, "For the money" status? Last post on 9/21/14 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Why I love iFi and their products iFi have been known, reputably for their amazing amplifiers and DAC. Ranging from Nano to Micro to Retro and the most recent addition, the Pro line, iFi have an...
Build/Accessories: The Earsonics SM3 is a triple balanced armature IEM, with one driver for the lows, one for the mids, and one for the treble region. the shell is clear acryllic on the...
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
IEMs for around $80 - All types of music but tight bass a mustpost #1 of 1711/25/12 at 1:18pmThread StarterLong time listener, first time caller. I am currently looking for a set of IEMs in the $80 price range. Have no preference but do currently own a set of monster turbine pro gold which I love - i am looking for a set for my son. Considering monster turbine, shure 215, etymotic hf3/5, head direct re0, jvc fx3x (heard these have good bass but a bit muddy), sony mh1c. Kind of looking for the best of all worlds here, deep tight bass, punchy midrange and clear highs (not too much to ask right) - thanks.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1711/25/12 at 1:28pm
The JVC FXD80, Yamaha EPH100 are great for the price and they offers same as you are looking for in the IEMs. JVC FX3X offers tight punchy bass which is very high quality and overall it's crisp clear sounding and match well with almost all genres music. But Turbine are pretty good too because it offers deeper reverbing bass and overall very detailed. The other IEMs like RE0 are amazing for current disconted price at head-direct and if add Fiio E5 in chain then bass will deifinatly improve further, BTW RE262 are steel at current head-direct price $99.post #3 of 1711/25/12 at 7:23pmThread StarterCurrently leaning toward the re-0 at the black Friday price and I also added the Sony XB90ex to the list. Can anyone rank these so far or offer your top choice for the type of listening experience I am looking for. Thanks again.post #4 of 1711/25/12 at 9:21pmpost #5 of 1711/25/12 at 9:31pmThread Starterpost #6 of 1711/25/12 at 9:40pmQuote:
I was going to suggest Monster Turbine, Etymotics are also known to be a touch bass light. I'll tell you what I think?
I think you could seriously spend $35 on SoundMAGIC E10 and be just as satisfied as a pair of Turbines. I have both here, I actually prefer the E10.post #7 of 1711/25/12 at 9:56pmThread Starterpost #8 of 1711/25/12 at 10:21pmQuote:
SoundMAGIC E10 have slightly forward mids, relaxed but sparkle treble and good tight bass punch, with a slight amount of mid bass. They're rather musical and get your foot tapping, suit all genre's without a problem.
Turbines would go deeper in sub-bass but the bass is a touch loose or flabby, the mids are smooth with decent clarity but the treble is a little back seated, kind of that mainstream inoffensive treble heard on consumer brands. I tried several IEM's at my local mall. and was never happy, only after finding Head-Fi and reading up on E10 did I start to see a future in my IEM journey.
Here's a review on the E10.
I've had the Yamaha EPH-100, they're really nice if you can outlay the cash, they have the bass you want, a little loose in control but overall tight, goes deep in sub-bass / slightly mid bass focused but their mids are liquid and vocals sound amazing, separation is also a word EPH-100 use highly. Bass doesn't bleed either into the mids.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/25/12 at 10:24pmpost #9 of 1711/26/12 at 12:20amTight means controlled and without extra decay yes? If so then the RE0 has tight bass. It is very slightly above flat and for sure much less than the monster's the op has experience with.
If one wants deeper more emphasized bass and clearer more pronounced highs I would recommend the FXD80.post #10 of 1711/26/12 at 2:39ampost #11 of 1711/26/12 at 2:57pmThread Starter
So we are now at the JVC FXD80 (around $90, a little harder to find?), UE700 (around $109), SoundMAGIC E10 (about $35) and Turbines (around $80). I do not like the looks of the Yamaha. Tight bass with some quality sub bass (again not flabby or muddy) and clear and crisp highs/mid highs. I don't care which ones but if I get the same result for $35 that I would get for $109, obviously we go with $35 but I have no problem going up to $109 if I get better sound. How would you guys rank these for the ones that you have heard. Thanks!!
post #12 of 1711/26/12 at 3:02pm
The Klipsch X10 is having a massive sale on amazon right now.post #13 of 1711/26/12 at 3:07pmThread Starterpost #14 of 1711/26/12 at 3:13pmpost #15 of 1711/26/12 at 3:23pmQuote:
I've not heard them personally, but the sound descriptions match what you want. Plus, they'll not be at this price again for at least another year. They usually sell for upwards of $200Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for around $80 - All types of music but tight bass a must
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 1 minute ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 minutes ago
- › Grado GH2 headphone at TTVJAudio.com 3 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 4 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From... 5 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia 6 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 6 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear