If I use an extension cable like the Grado one, does the defeat the purpose of having an upgraded headphone cable?
- categoryCablestagged by System, 12/1/12
Related Forum Threads
- Cabledyne reference copper xlr, 2-meter Last post on 5/21/15 at 7:42am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- Can i use a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for a pair of ath m40xs Last post on 11/15/14 at 9:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- How on earth do I stop breaking my cables?? (Which IEM cable has the BEST build quality?) Last post on 9/17/14 at 11:34pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Any Opinions on Fixing? Last post on 10/16/14 at 11:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphone Cables Last post on 7/9/14 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 5/24/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Hi End Cables
Does extension cable defeat purpose of cable upgrade?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
A good question - to which I don't know the answer. Shame that no one else has piped in yet.
What I do know is that an extension cable can degrade the SQ slightly - based on when I added a 5m Stax (non-ribbon) extension cable to my 4040 Stax rig a few years back (giving a total of 7.5m). I subsequently upgraded that 5m cable to Stax's superior 2.5m ribbon cable. And have deliberately never done a comparison test of the new extension cable because the extra freedom of movement is very important to me - so I simply don't want to know if that extra freedom is at the expense of SQ.
Based on my cable experience in general, I would guess that it's all cumulative: So yes, the extension cable will lose some (but not all) of the SQ gained by the upgraded main cable. But in the wider context of your whole listening experience, I wouldn't worry about it.
I would argue that the extension cable does defeat the purpose of an upgraded headphone cable.
Basically, it comes down to, can You hear a difference in your upgraded headphone cable?
Well if I accept the premise that an upgraded cable improves the sound, then I would agree with you.
In any case, using an "upgraded" cable with an extension cable is pretty silly.
- Does extension cable defeat purpose of cable upgrade?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Echobox: The Unveiling @ CES 2015 5 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD 2 minutes ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 3 minutes ago
- › Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22? 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 7 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 7 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by Chiek
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2