Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Hifiman hm 801 sound quality!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman hm 801 sound quality! - Page 2

post #16 of 56
Read this. Keep your iPod and spend your money on better headphones!
post #17 of 56
Thread Starter 

I believed that p5 were good headphones...isn't it?In this case which pair of headphones you advice me?

post #18 of 56
I don't really want to recommend headphones because it's too subjective, you really have to try them out. Personally I didn't like the P5 when I tried them on, but if you do like them, good for you!

My point was that the iPod Classic is pretty much as neutral as it gets, and it has pretty low distortion. So you're not going to get much more "high fidelity" than that, despite what the audiophool brands such as Hifiman would have you believe (whose products are actually measurably LESS "high fidelity", while selling at outrageous prices).

The only way you're going to improve (perceived) quality is by changing headphones (if you find some that you like better than your current ones), or by using some kind of DSP, in which case you should look into Cowon DAPs, which come with BBE sound enhancement DSPs that many people enjoy.

Edit: there's also the option to install Rockbox on your iPod Classic and use the 5 band (vanilla builds) or 10 band (aroldan builds) EQ.
Edited by skamp - 11/26/12 at 2:56am
post #19 of 56
Thread Starter 

Ok you have convinced me...:D...thanks a lot!A last question,I have an ipod classic 6 g,what are the risks of rockbox?Can I install on it?If yes,can you say me how?
 

post #20 of 56
No risks really, you can always restore the original firmware. Here are the installation and uninstallation instructions. Here's the daily Rockbox dev build (vanilla) and aroldan's builds.
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracocci9203 View Post

Some men tells me that sansa clip + sounds better than hifiman...is that real?

 

let me guess where you heard that

 

was it "anythingbutipod.com" by any chance?

post #22 of 56
Thread Starter 
Yes i've read it here
post #23 of 56
Thread Starter 
Isn t it true?
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracocci9203 View Post

Some men tells me that sansa clip + sounds better than hifiman...is that real?
 

let me guess where you heard that

 

was it "anythingbutipod.com" by any chance?

 

@Fracocci9203: I don't think I told you that the Sansa Clip+ is better than the HM 801. I told you "Save some money and get a Sansa Zip or Clip+. It is going for $25 in the US" because the Clip is AFAIK a better bang for the buck and also a highly regarded player. I also told you that "Your Ipod, and current Apple products in general, are also well regarded" because Apple typically uses high quality components in their iPod product line and this has been measured. Here is a the link regarding our conversation (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/best-hifiman-hm-801-headphones)

 

The reason behind my comments is that the HiFiMan is not neutral and a little rolled off at the top frequencies. Your P5 are also rolled off at the top frequencies making it a warm sounding headphone so perhaps not the best match. The P5 is however a well regarded headphone as well. The Sansa Clip+ and the Ipod are more neutral. I mentioned the anythingbutIpod link... and this:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/490698/hifiman-hm-801-rmaa-tests/15#post_6622986

http://www.head-fi.org/t/490698/hifiman-hm-801-rmaa-tests/45#post_6623351

 

The HM 801 is not necessarily the best player in the world. It is well regarded and liked by some. If you have tried it and you like it that much better than your Ipod then by all means get it.


Edited by ultrabike - 11/26/12 at 9:42am
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post

Read this. Keep your iPod and spend your money on better headphones!

 

two things

 

1) that website talks bollocks

2) measurements are no way to access a piece of audio hardware,

post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post

 

two things

 

1) that website talks bollocks

2) measurements are no way to access a piece of audio hardware,


I agree that the ultimate decision for selecting audio equipment comes down to our ears. But while not having the last word, measurements seem to be a decent indicator of performance. Have you been severely mislead in the past by measurements?

post #27 of 56
Thread Starter 
I would only know if between my ipod and the hm801 the sound quality is totally different...if it iis,i buy immediately hifiman...please clear my doubt...
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post

 

two things

 

1) that website talks bollocks

2) measurements are no way to access a piece of audio hardware,

rolleyes.gif

post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracocci9203 View Post

I would only know if between my ipod and the hm801 the sound quality is totally different...if it iis,i buy immediately hifiman...please clear my doubt...

 

The roll off of the HiFiMan appears to be in the air (less than 1dB @ >10kHz and probably less than 3dB @ >15kHz.) IMHO this is not a big problem. The low frequency extension of the HiFiMan appears quite good. I think you will not be disappointed by the HM 801.

 

Give it a try and if you like what you hear with your music don't hesitate on your investment. There is no better judge than your own ears. Measurements are just a guide for what you might like.


Edited by ultrabike - 11/26/12 at 11:42am
post #30 of 56
Thread Starter 

I'haven't the possibility to try the hifiman...I only an opinion by an audiophile or an expert of audio...or someone that have tried the hifiman 801...
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Hifiman hm 801 sound quality!