Recent Images In This Thread
- productApple iPod classic 120 GB Silver (6th Generation) [Previous Model]tagged by System, 12/1/12
- productHiFiMAN HM-801tagged by System, 12/1/12
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HM801 plus 32GB SD Card SOLD! Last post on 12/5/13 at 3:55pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- HM-801 headphone output repair ? Last post on 11/28/13 at 7:02am in Portable Source Gear
- Questions on charging Last post on 11/4/13 at 8:14am in Portable Source Gear
- Amp for use with HM-801 and DT1350? Last post on 11/4/13 at 7:22pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Complete HM801 Package Last post on 10/27/13 at 9:33am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
If you want to read me ramble on more about haptics and finish quality, head to Ω image's review. I know it is a year on and this earphone is no longer en vogue. However, I reviewed it. Take...
Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my...
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
AK120 I feel like there is an epidemic looming over the heads of most Hi-Fi audio music player designers. Most just can't seem to get it right and so few end up with a solid...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
Hifiman hm 801 sound quality! - Page 2post #16 of 5611/26/12 at 2:03am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 5611/26/12 at 2:35amThread Starterpost #18 of 5611/26/12 at 2:54amI don't really want to recommend headphones because it's too subjective, you really have to try them out. Personally I didn't like the P5 when I tried them on, but if you do like them, good for you!
My point was that the iPod Classic is pretty much as neutral as it gets, and it has pretty low distortion. So you're not going to get much more "high fidelity" than that, despite what the audiophool brands such as Hifiman would have you believe (whose products are actually measurably LESS "high fidelity", while selling at outrageous prices).
The only way you're going to improve (perceived) quality is by changing headphones (if you find some that you like better than your current ones), or by using some kind of DSP, in which case you should look into Cowon DAPs, which come with BBE sound enhancement DSPs that many people enjoy.
Edit: there's also the option to install Rockbox on your iPod Classic and use the 5 band (vanilla builds) or 10 band (aroldan builds) EQ.
Edited by skamp - 11/26/12 at 2:56ampost #19 of 5611/26/12 at 3:02amThread Starterpost #20 of 5611/26/12 at 3:32ampost #21 of 5611/26/12 at 8:14amQuote:
let me guess where you heard that
was it "anythingbutipod.com" by any chance?post #22 of 5611/26/12 at 8:28amThread Starterpost #23 of 5611/26/12 at 8:46amThread Starterpost #24 of 5611/26/12 at 9:37amQuote:
@Fracocci9203: I don't think I told you that the Sansa Clip+ is better than the HM 801. I told you "Save some money and get a Sansa Zip or Clip+. It is going for $25 in the US" because the Clip is AFAIK a better bang for the buck and also a highly regarded player. I also told you that "Your Ipod, and current Apple products in general, are also well regarded" because Apple typically uses high quality components in their iPod product line and this has been measured. Here is a the link regarding our conversation (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/best-hifiman-hm-801-headphones)
The reason behind my comments is that the HiFiMan is not neutral and a little rolled off at the top frequencies. Your P5 are also rolled off at the top frequencies making it a warm sounding headphone so perhaps not the best match. The P5 is however a well regarded headphone as well. The Sansa Clip+ and the Ipod are more neutral. I mentioned the anythingbutIpod link... and this:
The HM 801 is not necessarily the best player in the world. It is well regarded and liked by some. If you have tried it and you like it that much better than your Ipod then by all means get it.
Edited by ultrabike - 11/26/12 at 9:42ampost #25 of 5611/26/12 at 10:13ampost #26 of 5611/26/12 at 10:33amQuote:
I agree that the ultimate decision for selecting audio equipment comes down to our ears. But while not having the last word, measurements seem to be a decent indicator of performance. Have you been severely mislead in the past by measurements?post #27 of 5611/26/12 at 11:24amThread Starterpost #28 of 5611/26/12 at 11:33amQuote:post #29 of 5611/26/12 at 11:38amQuote:
The roll off of the HiFiMan appears to be in the air (less than 1dB @ >10kHz and probably less than 3dB @ >15kHz.) IMHO this is not a big problem. The low frequency extension of the HiFiMan appears quite good. I think you will not be disappointed by the HM 801.
Give it a try and if you like what you hear with your music don't hesitate on your investment. There is no better judge than your own ears. Measurements are just a guide for what you might like.
Edited by ultrabike - 11/26/12 at 11:42ampost #30 of 5611/26/12 at 11:46amThread Starter
- Hifiman hm 801 sound quality!
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 second ago
- › Dorota Dyman & Associates Real Estate: What’s next for China... 1 minute ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 1 minute ago
- › Help! best portable amp for Ipod under 150$ 2 minutes ago
- › Help buying $200-$300 Headphone. 2 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables Silver Widow Headphone Cable Review 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 4 minutes ago
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe