Recent Images In This Thread
- productApple iPod classic 120 GB Silver (6th Generation) [Previous Model]tagged by System, 12/1/12
- productHiFiMAN HM-801tagged by System, 12/1/12
Related Forum Threads
- Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100 Last post on 3/31/14 at 11:51am in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman HM801 plus 32GB SD Card SOLD! Last post on 12/5/13 at 3:55pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- HM-801 headphone output repair ? Last post on 11/28/13 at 7:02am in Portable Source Gear
- Questions on charging Last post on 11/4/13 at 8:14am in Portable Source Gear
- Amp for use with HM-801 and DT1350? Last post on 11/4/13 at 7:22pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
Hifiman hm 801 sound quality! - Page 2post #16 of 5611/26/12 at 2:03am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 5611/26/12 at 2:35amThread Starterpost #18 of 5611/26/12 at 2:54amI don't really want to recommend headphones because it's too subjective, you really have to try them out. Personally I didn't like the P5 when I tried them on, but if you do like them, good for you!
My point was that the iPod Classic is pretty much as neutral as it gets, and it has pretty low distortion. So you're not going to get much more "high fidelity" than that, despite what the audiophool brands such as Hifiman would have you believe (whose products are actually measurably LESS "high fidelity", while selling at outrageous prices).
The only way you're going to improve (perceived) quality is by changing headphones (if you find some that you like better than your current ones), or by using some kind of DSP, in which case you should look into Cowon DAPs, which come with BBE sound enhancement DSPs that many people enjoy.
Edit: there's also the option to install Rockbox on your iPod Classic and use the 5 band (vanilla builds) or 10 band (aroldan builds) EQ.
Edited by skamp - 11/26/12 at 2:56ampost #19 of 5611/26/12 at 3:02amThread Starterpost #20 of 5611/26/12 at 3:32ampost #21 of 5611/26/12 at 8:14amQuote:
let me guess where you heard that
was it "anythingbutipod.com" by any chance?post #22 of 5611/26/12 at 8:28amThread Starterpost #23 of 5611/26/12 at 8:46amThread Starterpost #24 of 5611/26/12 at 9:37amQuote:
@Fracocci9203: I don't think I told you that the Sansa Clip+ is better than the HM 801. I told you "Save some money and get a Sansa Zip or Clip+. It is going for $25 in the US" because the Clip is AFAIK a better bang for the buck and also a highly regarded player. I also told you that "Your Ipod, and current Apple products in general, are also well regarded" because Apple typically uses high quality components in their iPod product line and this has been measured. Here is a the link regarding our conversation (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/best-hifiman-hm-801-headphones)
The reason behind my comments is that the HiFiMan is not neutral and a little rolled off at the top frequencies. Your P5 are also rolled off at the top frequencies making it a warm sounding headphone so perhaps not the best match. The P5 is however a well regarded headphone as well. The Sansa Clip+ and the Ipod are more neutral. I mentioned the anythingbutIpod link... and this:
The HM 801 is not necessarily the best player in the world. It is well regarded and liked by some. If you have tried it and you like it that much better than your Ipod then by all means get it.
Edited by ultrabike - 11/26/12 at 9:42ampost #25 of 5611/26/12 at 10:13ampost #26 of 5611/26/12 at 10:33amQuote:
I agree that the ultimate decision for selecting audio equipment comes down to our ears. But while not having the last word, measurements seem to be a decent indicator of performance. Have you been severely mislead in the past by measurements?post #27 of 5611/26/12 at 11:24amThread Starterpost #28 of 5611/26/12 at 11:33amQuote:post #29 of 5611/26/12 at 11:38amQuote:
The roll off of the HiFiMan appears to be in the air (less than 1dB @ >10kHz and probably less than 3dB @ >15kHz.) IMHO this is not a big problem. The low frequency extension of the HiFiMan appears quite good. I think you will not be disappointed by the HM 801.
Give it a try and if you like what you hear with your music don't hesitate on your investment. There is no better judge than your own ears. Measurements are just a guide for what you might like.
Edited by ultrabike - 11/26/12 at 11:42ampost #30 of 5611/26/12 at 11:46amThread Starter
- Hifiman hm 801 sound quality!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 11 seconds ago
- › Charlotte, NC meet April 19, 2014 <> meet impressions 1 minute ago
- › New RHA IEMs: The MA750i and MA600i 1 minute ago
- › BOSE QC20 or SHURE SE425 1 minute ago
- › Feature suggestions for X7 flagship DAP 1 minute ago
- › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 2 minutes ago
- › Recommendations for desktop amp and DAC for Sennheiser HD 600- $900... 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob