Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Hifiman HM-801 - UK sale Last post on 6/13/13 at 11:30am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- HM 801- Is it really that good? Last post on 6/12/13 at 10:19am in Portable Source Gear
- WTB or temporarily trade Hifiman HM-801 for Altmann Tera player? Last post on 6/9/13 at 11:43am in Portable Source Gear
- Name for portable sources, DAP, PMP, or others? Last post on 6/8/13 at 2:10am in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman 801 + game amp + stock amp + 32gb SDHC Last post on 6/2/13 at 12:12pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
Edited on 12/28/12
A few years ago I was a big fan of the Shuttle Barebone SFF PCs for LAN party gaming. I also was a big fan of surround audio for gaming. I had a soundblaster that days. But the graphics cards grew...
Good solid bass, not very impactful, definitely not for bassheads. Has a warmer feel, and is not very laid back. Also less colored than I would expect. Overall good, as I paid around 120 for...
I joined head-fi specificaly to post this review.... First - my credentials as a headphone user (as far as they go). I've been into hi-fi for 3 decades, and consider myself a reasonably...
Disclaimer: This review isn't based on NwAvguy words and/or the stereotypes arround the ODAC. You won't see me using the words "transparent" and or "clinical". I actually gave the thing an honest...
Asus is a well known tech company. They make laptops, desktops, tablets, motherboards, video cards, and a few other odds and ends. Around here, they are most known for their...
Hifiman hm 801 sound quality! - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My point was that the iPod Classic is pretty much as neutral as it gets, and it has pretty low distortion. So you're not going to get much more "high fidelity" than that, despite what the audiophool brands such as Hifiman would have you believe (whose products are actually measurably LESS "high fidelity", while selling at outrageous prices).
The only way you're going to improve (perceived) quality is by changing headphones (if you find some that you like better than your current ones), or by using some kind of DSP, in which case you should look into Cowon DAPs, which come with BBE sound enhancement DSPs that many people enjoy.
Edit: there's also the option to install Rockbox on your iPod Classic and use the 5 band (vanilla builds) or 10 band (aroldan builds) EQ.
Edited by skamp - 11/26/12 at 2:56am
let me guess where you heard that
was it "anythingbutipod.com" by any chance?
@Fracocci9203: I don't think I told you that the Sansa Clip+ is better than the HM 801. I told you "Save some money and get a Sansa Zip or Clip+. It is going for $25 in the US" because the Clip is AFAIK a better bang for the buck and also a highly regarded player. I also told you that "Your Ipod, and current Apple products in general, are also well regarded" because Apple typically uses high quality components in their iPod product line and this has been measured. Here is a the link regarding our conversation (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/best-hifiman-hm-801-headphones)
The reason behind my comments is that the HiFiMan is not neutral and a little rolled off at the top frequencies. Your P5 are also rolled off at the top frequencies making it a warm sounding headphone so perhaps not the best match. The P5 is however a well regarded headphone as well. The Sansa Clip+ and the Ipod are more neutral. I mentioned the anythingbutIpod link... and this:
The HM 801 is not necessarily the best player in the world. It is well regarded and liked by some. If you have tried it and you like it that much better than your Ipod then by all means get it.
Edited by ultrabike - 11/26/12 at 9:42am
I agree that the ultimate decision for selecting audio equipment comes down to our ears. But while not having the last word, measurements seem to be a decent indicator of performance. Have you been severely mislead in the past by measurements?
The roll off of the HiFiMan appears to be in the air (less than 1dB @ >10kHz and probably less than 3dB @ >15kHz.) IMHO this is not a big problem. The low frequency extension of the HiFiMan appears quite good. I think you will not be disappointed by the HM 801.
Give it a try and if you like what you hear with your music don't hesitate on your investment. There is no better judge than your own ears. Measurements are just a guide for what you might like.
Edited by ultrabike - 11/26/12 at 11:42am
- Hifiman hm 801 sound quality!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Upcoming Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 4 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-TAD500 | Review and Comparisons 22 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig 1 minute ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - a review in progress: Factory visit starting pg... 1 minute ago
- › IC: Winnipeg meet? 1 minute ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 1 minute ago
- › Recommendation for some new open cans 1 minute ago
- › WTB: ALO Audio Rx 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Manufaktur! 4 minutes ago
- › Vsonic GR04 Pro Flagship Review (yes that really is its name) 4 minutes ago
- › Xonar U7 - 7.1 USB-Soundkarte by pietcux
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by Landon Watson
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by tintoy
- › JDS Labs ODAC by Rem0o
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STU by project86
- › Unique Melody Miracle by lin0003
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by mcook1970
- › Beats Solo by Dr. Dre On-Ear Headphones with ControlTalk (White) by TheBrutux168
- › Skullcandy 50/50 - Headset ( in-ear ear-bud ) - white, chrome by TheBrutux168
- › Sennheiser HD-600 by JustinBieber
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe