Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › 50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing - Page 19

post #271 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

 

Looks good to me. Nice mod and nice work!


Thanks for the kind words WAYNE, that was just a teaser. The Sonic Mod is where it is at.

post #272 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post

Excellent, thanks for the save. Now I just wait until sometime between Dec 20 and Jan 7. eek.gif
Dang...a little late to the show but i might bite to! I could use a good open air can fur my morning walks... Dt 880 is not worth braking xD
post #273 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post


Dang...a little late to the show but i might bite to! I could use a good open air can fur my morning walks... Dt 880 is not worth braking xD


Well tbh, these are competent set of cans, but if you are expecting them to perform miracles look else where. To me they have the sonic similarities to Sony MH1Cs, but lacks the refinement of those iems. The highs on these are pretty dry and not well extended. And the sub bass and mid bass is nuts for a fully open can. LoL The cups literally rattle like so with the turtle beach pads.L3000.gif


Edited by sfwalcer - 2/17/13 at 6:20pm
post #274 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

Can anyone with the Somics and the HA-S500, compare them and post here?  Can't seem to find anyone to do the comparison!

 

Long time lurker. What are these, and oh the serendipity. I just ordered S500's today and would like to know about these.

post #275 of 544

Alright, the Sonic Mod for these MH463 as promised. I got my somics from a ebay seller that sold them with extra turtle beach pads and I use my ipod classic on "flat" EQ for all my listening. The reason why i felt these needed modding was the fact that despite they are a nice sounding set of fully open backs with a lot of bass, it lacks a lot of refinement in the highs and the lows. The mids on these are great, and instrument separation is pretty sweet due to the big open soundstage. The highs on these MH463s is somewhat veiled, meaning it has a very dry/dull/ lifeless quality to them. The lows while great in quantity in both the mid/ sub bass regions, it lacks control and lushness. There is no lushness or sparkle to the highs as well, which makes these sound not too refined.

 

The refinement in the highs and lows of Sony MH1Cs makes it a great comparison to these MH463s. The lows and highs of the MH1cs albeit kinda slow/ overly smooth is fairly lush and has a really refined quality to them. The highs and mids on the MH1Cs also has some nice sparkle to it as well. Sadly I can not say the same for these Somic MH463s. Although the soundstage/ airiness/ instrument separation is better on the Somics due to the open back, the lack of refinement makes you wish that these were more finely tuned. So with this in mind i attempted to mod these to bring out the highs as well as to tame the bass a bit so the sonic spectrum would be more balanced overall.

 

Sonic Mod:

..... as i stated above, the turtle beach pads that came with my somics makes them have a crazy amount of mid/ sub bass which literally rattles the ear cups of these cans. So yeah despite i enjoyed the ear/ brain massage, this sound didn't feel/ sound too refined to me. LoL I tried stuffing the turtle beach pads with cotton/ paper towels to bring out the highs/ control the bass but no stuffing combo sounded right to me. So i was like wait, maybe stuffing the stock pads might do the trick. Went back to using the stock pads, and they sounded worse than the turtle beach pads in terms of refinement. Overall sound was even more dull, esp in the highs, bass still lack lushness, etc. Then i noticed that both the turtle beach pads and the stock pads has this really thick fabric which covered the driver opening of these MH463s. I remembered from my JVC S400 mods that foam covers over the drivers helps a lot to bring out the highs. So i took the stock pads off/ flipped them over and cut all the strings that held the driver cloth cover off as seen in the pic above.

....this is joes pic of the stock pads still with the cloth driver cover intact.

 

..... both cloth driver covers has been cut out from my stock pads.

 

 

.... as shown in joes picture, there are 2 sets of bass ports on the top and bottom of the driver opening.

 

..... i used 2 small pieces of masking tape to cover up those bass ports. This helps to control the sub/ mid bass a lot. The bass is still deep and big but it no longer rattles the ear cups of these cans. This taming of the bass makes the overall sonic spectrum much more balanced and refined. 

 

..... then i used the foam driver covering/ disk from my superlux HD681s, not exactly the same as in the above pic, but i assume any foam covering will do. That was just what i had, so feel free to try different types of materials. But foam types are probably best to bring out the highs due to it being more transparent.

 

.... after the bass ports are taped over and the foam diver disk covers are inserted, i proceeded to stuff the pads with some cotton. But you need to stretch the cotton balls out 1st, i used a total of 3 cotton balls for each pad.

 

.... stretch it out like so, one ball should be enough to make one full ring.

 

.... 3 cotton rings total, so make sure you stuff them tight so it will not block the driver opening.

 

.... then i remember some people use Q-Tips to help the stuffing stay firm and not get squished after prolonged use. I used 4 Q-Tips like the pic above with the cotton stuffing. This helps the cotton stay in place as well as not collapse when worn.

 

Well, that's it folks!!! A really simple mod really, all stock materials mostly.

 

With this mod the highs are well extended with even some sparkle to them, probably due to the foam driver covers and the cotton/ Q-Tip stuffing which allows the highs to breath a bit and also helped further open up the soundstage. The lows are much much more controlled due to the taped bass ports, mid/ sub bass no longer rattles the ear cups and is also more lush sounding as well. The mids are still as lovely as ever, so now the overall sonic spectrum is more balanced without any regions bleeding over or interfering one another. beerchug.gif

 

.... full mod just looks like this.

 

 

 

Finally these Somics have some of the refinement of the Sony MH1Cs, and is sounding more like a headphone version of them with bigger soundstage/ better instrument separation and more transparency in the music due to the fully open back. Who knew pad/ padding material can change/ affect sonic properties so much. These MH463s are not as versatile or responds as well to simple mods as the JVC S500s but it does help refine their sound more with the mods shown above.

 

Sonic Mod Ingredients List: Stock Pads, pair of scissors, masking tape, a set of foam driver covers, 6 cotton balls, and 8 Q-Tips, and you're DONE!!!

 

edit: Oh yeah forgot to state that this mod with "Jazz" EQ on the ipod classic is where it's at. It opens up the highs even more and the bass hits deep/ tight/ and big without it being cup shaking. Woot Woot, lovin' these Somic MH463 now!!! deadhorse.gifPheeeeew!


Edited by sfwalcer - 2/17/13 at 9:36pm
post #276 of 544
Thread Starter 
Funny, I would've sworn I measured a mild bass-subbass boost sealing those ports. Since those ports vent the (chamber sealing the driver to ear) to outside air, sealing them up *should* increase bass.
post #277 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post


Well tbh, these are competent set of cans, but if you are expecting them to perform miracles look else where. To me they have the sonic similarities to Sony MH1Cs, but lacks the refinement of those iems. The highs on these are pretty dry and not well extended. And the sub bass and mid bass is nuts for a fully open can. LoL The cups literally rattle like so with the turtle beach pads.L3000.gif

Nah I don't expect mirales, just an open can :D

 

I might sonic mod them [since modded cans are cool] where would I get the foam driver cover from? [although I do like mega bass open cans xD] 

post #278 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

Funny, I would've sworn I measured a mild bass-subbass boost sealing those ports. Since those ports vent the (chamber sealing the driver to ear) to outside air, sealing them up *should* increase bass.

 

Welp, this is why these MH463 are kinda funky. They are fully open backs, but the mid/ sub bass is crazy on these with the turtle beach pads. Like i said it literally shakes the ear cups and gives you ears/ brain a good massage. Like so....L3000.gif. Though the quantity is great, the quality is a completely different story. It just lacks any lushness/ refinement as well as control it seems, though it's not the extremely typical "boomy" types.

 

Another funky thing about the bass is that it becomes much more controlled and tamed when i stuffed it with layers of cotton and paper towels. When rolled up paper towels are placed directly on top of those "bass ports" with the turtle beach pads it makes the bass less ear-cup rattling. I took notice of this phenomenon and this was what gave me the idea of maybe if i taped those bass ports it might also act to tame the bass.  As many of you know that i am a HUGE fan of the JVC S500s and have modded them to death. The bass ports on S500s when taped increases the bass quantity BUT for these funky somics it seems to do the exact opposite.

 

Here for some reference: http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread/4080#post_9023880

 

The modding techniques i used for these somics are almost identical for the S500s, cuz that is where i have 1st learned of them. You don't have to believe me joe, just stretch some cotton balls out/ roll some paper towels then stuff the stock pads of yours. You will notice a decrease in bass when the paper towels blocks those bass ports. EZ as cake, and you don't need no fancy tools for measurements, cuz your ears are the best instruments to tell.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Nah I don't expect mirales, just an open can :D

 

I might sonic mod them [since modded cans are cool] where would I get the foam driver cover from? [although I do like mega bass open cans xD] 

 

Well i stole the foam driver covers from my cheapo Superlux HD681s, but i assume you can buy it in many places that sells audio gear no??? or even craft stores/ hobby shops??? I have no idea cuz i have never actually went out to buy the stuff i use for mods, just use what i have around the house. LoL

 

Yeppp these somics tripped me up as well cuz the bass is crazy nuts with the turtle beach pads, and i was like wait aren't these fully open cans? blink.gifconfused_face_2.gif The bass hit lower/ bigger than my S500s for sure, but it just lacks the lushness/ refinement, BUT with that sonic mod these MH463s are now a true contender. Would be really wasteful to not try and fine tune the sound of these cheapo somics cuz they are really competent/ capable set of cans. Lets just say if people thought the Superluxes were great for their cheap price, these somics even without the sonic mod blows them outta the water in terms of sound and built. The superluxes were the only "hyped" audio gears that i have which did nothing for me, no "WOW" factor whatsoever and everything i own are HYPED stuff. LMAO

post #279 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

 

Welp, this is why these MH463 are kinda funky. They are fully open backs, but the mid/ sub bass is crazy on these with the turtle beach pads. Like i said it literally shakes the ear cups and gives you ears/ brain a good massage. Like so....L3000.gif. Though the quantity is great, the quality is a completely different story. It just lacks any lushness/ refinement as well as control it seems, though it's not the extremely typical "boomy" types.

 

Another funky thing about the bass is that it becomes much more controlled and tamed when i stuffed it with layers of cotton and paper towels. When rolled up paper towels are placed directly on top of those "bass ports" with the turtle beach pads it makes the bass less ear-cup rattling. I took notice of this phenomenon and this was what gave me the idea of maybe if i taped those bass ports it might also act to tame the bass.  As many of you know that i am a HUGE fan of the JVC S500s and have modded them to death. The bass ports on S500s when taped increases the bass quantity BUT for these funky somics it seems to do the exact opposite.

 

Here for some reference: http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread/4080#post_9023880

 

The modding techniques i used for these somics are almost identical for the S500s, cuz that is where i have 1st learned of them. You don't have to believe me joe, just stretch some cotton balls out/ roll some paper towels then stuff the stock pads of yours. You will notice a decrease in bass when the paper towels blocks those bass ports. EZ as cake, and you don't need no fancy tools for measurements, cuz your ears are the best instruments to tell.

 

 

 

Well i stole the foam driver covers from my cheapo Superlux HD681s, but i assume you can buy it in many places that sells audio gear no??? or even craft stores/ hobby shops??? I have no idea cuz i have never actually went out to buy the stuff i use for mods, just use what i have around the house. LoL

 

Yeppp these somics tripped me up as well cuz the bass is crazy nuts with the turtle beach pads, and i was like wait aren't these fully open cans? blink.gifconfused_face_2.gif The bass hit lower/ bigger than my S500s for sure, but it just lacks the lushness/ refinement, BUT with that sonic mod these MH463s are now a true contender. Would be really wasteful to not try and fine tune the sound of these cheapo somics cuz they are really competent/ capable set of cans. Lets just say if people thought the Superluxes were great for their cheap price, these somics even without the sonic mod blows them outta the water in terms of sound and built. The superluxes were the only "hyped" audio gears that i have which did nothing for me, no "WOW" factor whatsoever and everything i own are HYPED stuff. LMAO

Well I'm saying "screw it" and buying a pair of these... maybe not though. I like open cans for the tight ness in the bass [since it's open] for example my dt 880 [semi open yea yea] has great bass! And I'm looking forward to my dt 990 pro purchase as well! But... in about 2 weeks... I might buy these n play around wid them :3

post #280 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Well I'm saying "screw it" and buying a pair of these... maybe not though. I like open cans for the tight ness in the bass [since it's open] for example my dt 880 [semi open yea yea] has great bass! And I'm looking forward to my dt 990 pro purchase as well! But... in about 2 weeks... I might buy these n play around wid them :3


Well they are a great buy for around $50 or $60 but i would not spend more than $100 on them. Especially with ATHs new lineup of cans and iems that supposedly sound so amazing for just slightly over $100 or $150. These still lack the refinement that a lot of the trusted major brandnames have. Budget-fi is still budget-fi. Just my 2 cents. 

post #281 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post


Well they are a great buy for around $50 or $60 but i would not spend more than $100 on them. Especially with ATHs new lineup of cans and iems that supposedly sound so amazing for just slightly over $100 or $150. These still lack the refinement that a lot of the trusted major brandnames have. Budget-fi is still budget-fi. Just my 2 cents. 

Psh I might just buy these. I WAS going to buy a used dt 990 from a company but it got sold in the 5 days I was trying to bargin a deal >.>

 

I guess Amazon Ware house here I come! But If I have to w8 like 2 weeks to find a used dt 990 these will be worth getting ^^ plus I can always use MORE cans in my collection lol 

post #282 of 544

Quietly piling on the listening hours, and I can't rightly say how much I enjoy listening to music through the MH463s with the Turtle Beach pads. I can definitely relate to headphone weight becoming an issue if you tilt your head forward or back too much, or too quickly, but if you're still while you listen to music it's a nonissue. Good Lord do I love what these do with acoustic tracks...

 

That said, I'm just broke my self-promise and snagged a pair of EFi-82MTs from Alibaba for $46.

Damn you CNC. And I mean that in the best way possible. beerchug.gif

post #283 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post
Damn you CNC. And I mean that in the best way possible. beerchug.gif

I feel the love!

 

Have you bought the Shure pads yet? wink_face.gif

post #284 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post

Quietly piling on the listening hours, and I can't rightly say how much I enjoy listening to music through the MH463s with the Turtle Beach pads. I can definitely relate to headphone weight becoming an issue if you tilt your head forward or back too much, or too quickly, but if you're still while you listen to music it's a nonissue. Good Lord do I love what these do with acoustic tracks...

 

That said, I'm just broke my self-promise and snagged a pair of EFi-82MTs from Alibaba for $46.

Damn you CNC. And I mean that in the best way possible. beerchug.gif

... I jsut got my dt990s and Mad Dogs so... these may not get a listen for a while [or a purchase] 

post #285 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

... I jsut got my dt990s and Mad Dogs so... these may not get a listen for a while [or a purchase] 

youre going to be missing outtttt ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › 50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing