Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › 50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing - Page 14

post #196 of 539

Ok, jumping on the Somic bandwagon. Gonna wait a while and see where this thread goes first since I just purchased the Takstar Pro80, and am currently waiting on delivery from China. In the meantime, I've gone through every page of this thread here recently, and cannot stop thinking about how you guys claim these to be the best "budget headphones" around. They look like fun to mod to me, and seeing everyone's mods in this thread is making me want these more and more. 

 

If some of you owners out there could PM me about these headphones, how they sound in depth, how you have modded them, what headphones you can compare them to, and try to convince me to get a pair in the future, I'd really appreciate it.

 

Keep this thread alive! :) -BiggBenn

post #197 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnom View Post

Jeez...

Sounds like I should be getting these phones! Haha!

So I really liked my beloved HTF600s, are you saying that these EFI are much much better?

I also love my bass, especially the sub-bass. Can this do the job?
I'm not using it for portable use, just the casual game, but mainly listening to music.

 

If I were to get the EFI, which earpads would be the best for them?

Thanks heaps!

I have not heard the HTF600s (I should probably throw that in), but I find the EFI to have a very slight bass emphasis but phenomenal extension (the sub-bass is just as loud as the mid-bass). They are currently my favorite headphone I own, besting the Uptown, M50, HM5, MH463, AKG K240M, and pretty much anything else I throw at it.

Good thing you're not using them for portable use, because they're pretty big, but for a game (especially when paired with a Zalman mic), they're amazing. The big soundstage (especially for a closed set) makes directional positioning very easy to determine. I played Skyrim with them yesterday, and they are top-notch.

Big-time bass response in a headphone (see: XB500/Beats) makes gaming very muddy and difficult, so I think that these walk the tightrope nicely.

The stock pads are decent, but I find the HM5 pads more comfortable. It's not like the MH463 where the stock pads are garbage, or the HA-S500 where the pads make a huge difference in sound quality. It seems to be more of a comfort thing, but it did increase the bass response by a little bit (probably due to the stock pads being like AKG K240 pads in that they don't have a mesh filter in them, and the HM5 pads having a thin one. 


I have not tried EQ-ing them yet. I left them at my dorm room, and I'm home for the weekend, so I'll give that a go on Sunday when I go back to campus.
 

post #198 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

I have not heard the HTF600s (I should probably throw that in), but I find the EFI to have a very slight bass emphasis but phenomenal extension (the sub-bass is just as loud as the mid-bass). They are currently my favorite headphone I own, besting the Uptown, M50, HM5, MH463, AKG K240M, and pretty much anything else I throw at it.

Good thing you're not using them for portable use, because they're pretty big, but for a game (especially when paired with a Zalman mic), they're amazing. The big soundstage (especially for a closed set) makes directional positioning very easy to determine. I played Skyrim with them yesterday, and they are top-notch.

Big-time bass response in a headphone (see: XB500/Beats) makes gaming very muddy and difficult, so I think that these walk the tightrope nicely.

The stock pads are decent, but I find the HM5 pads more comfortable. It's not like the MH463 where the stock pads are garbage, or the HA-S500 where the pads make a huge difference in sound quality. It seems to be more of a comfort thing, but it did increase the bass response by a little bit (probably due to the stock pads being like AKG K240 pads in that they don't have a mesh filter in them, and the HM5 pads having a thin one. 


I have not tried EQ-ing them yet. I left them at my dorm room, and I'm home for the weekend, so I'll give that a go on Sunday when I go back to campus.
 

 

Good hype-train work there Cash! I already have the Uptowns and the S500's, and in my mind, was thinking that it would be kinda silly to get yet another pair of closed cans, so I have generally been thinking of getting some open ones (for whatever advantages they provide). So, that's really the only thing holding me back from the EFI's at this point. Keep at it though and I'll probably cave lol

post #199 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Good hype-train work there Cash! I already have the Uptowns and the S500's, and in my mind, was thinking that it would be kinda silly to get yet another pair of closed cans, so I have generally been thinking of getting some open ones (for whatever advantages they provide). So, that's really the only thing holding me back from the EFI's at this point. Keep at it though and I'll probably cave lol

I put them in the same class as the HM5, "open-sounding closed headphones". They don't isolate well, and they're very spacious (unlike the Uptowns and S500s). There is almost no clamp with these things, and for a headphone this big, they are extremely lightweight. This, and the tiltable earcups, makes for a very different, but extraordinarily comfortable loose fit. 

These things are closed, but they don't sound it. No awkward bass humps or anything. Also, the looks are deceiving. They may look like Beats clones/Swagphones, but these drivers were made for people who care about sound quality, no questions asked.  

But as someone who owns way more pairs of closed cans than I should, I completely understand the absurdity of it all. For me, this set completely replaced the HA-S500 (with ATH-like Coby pads) and Uptown in terms of headtime.

For others it might not. Either way, this isn't just a phenomenal $35 headphone. This is a phenomenal headphone, period.

post #200 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasskalnin View Post

I will order efi82mt for $32 shipped soon!

I wasn't impressed by the pair of those I purchased. Maybe I got a defective pair (one side is dramatically louder than the other). 

 

The MH463s sound pretty good though. The bass seems a bit heavy but I think they sound great for the price. 

post #201 of 539

Hey cash are you sure they are over-ears??? Cuz from all the pics i have seen, the hole/ driver openings on the red stock pads are pretty small. Looks about the same as other on-ear pads such as the JVC S500s.

post #202 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

I have not heard the HTF600s (I should probably throw that in), but I find the EFI to have a very slight bass emphasis but phenomenal extension (the sub-bass is just as loud as the mid-bass). They are currently my favorite headphone I own, besting the Uptown, M50, HM5, MH463, AKG K240M, and pretty much anything else I throw at it.

Good thing you're not using them for portable use, because they're pretty big, but for a game (especially when paired with a Zalman mic), they're amazing. The big soundstage (especially for a closed set) makes directional positioning very easy to determine. I played Skyrim with them yesterday, and they are top-notch.

Big-time bass response in a headphone (see: XB500/Beats) makes gaming very muddy and difficult, so I think that these walk the tightrope nicely.

The stock pads are decent, but I find the HM5 pads more comfortable. It's not like the MH463 where the stock pads are garbage, or the HA-S500 where the pads make a huge difference in sound quality. It seems to be more of a comfort thing, but it did increase the bass response by a little bit (probably due to the stock pads being like AKG K240 pads in that they don't have a mesh filter in them, and the HM5 pads having a thin one. 


I have not tried EQ-ing them yet. I left them at my dorm room, and I'm home for the weekend, so I'll give that a go on Sunday when I go back to campus.
 

 

Hmmm,

That sounds really really interesting!

It may seem I may have to bite the bullet soon...

But, the HM5 earpads seem kinda out of the question.

1) because I live in New Zealand, and 2) because its like $8.50 per pad.

Haha,

 

Oh so for directional positioning are they any good? Say I needed an intense game of CoD or something, would they work for that?

 

Anyone else got any more impressions to share with these EFI headphones?

 

Thanks

post #203 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

Hey cash are you sure they are over-ears??? Cuz from all the pics i have seen, the hole/ driver openings on the red stock pads are pretty small. Looks about the same as other on-ear pads such as the JVC S500s.

 

 

 

On the left is the AKG K240 pad, in the middle is the Somic EFi, and on the right is the JVC HA-S500. With HM5 pads, they become unquestionably over-ear. As-is, it's still over-ear, but a little bit smaller.

post #204 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

 

 

 

On the left is the AKG K240 pad, in the middle is the Somic EFi, and on the right is the JVC HA-S500. With HM5 pads, they become unquestionably over-ear. As-is, it's still over-ear, but a little bit smaller.


WoW nice, thanks for the pic. Man these headphones looks smaller online than they actually are it seems. Great to hear that the HM5 pads fits these as well. Great work!  beerchug.gif

post #205 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer (no, I didn't use the official quoting mechanism, but I found it a bit ridiculous to make yet another post)

WoW nice, thanks for the pic. Man these headphones looks smaller online than they actually are it seems. Great to hear that the HM5 pads fits these as well. Great work!  beerchug.gif

No problem! They are deceptively large. It's as if you took the shape of the HA-S500, the headband of the ATH-M50s, and the size of the DBI Pro series. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnom View Post

 

Hmmm,

That sounds really really interesting!

It may seem I may have to bite the bullet soon...

But, the HM5 earpads seem kinda out of the question.

1) because I live in New Zealand, and 2) because its like $8.50 per pad.

Haha,

 

Oh so for directional positioning are they any good? Say I needed an intense game of CoD or something, would they work for that?

 

Anyone else got any more impressions to share with these EFI headphones?

 

Thanks

They have a huge soundstage, and I was able to easily pinpoint enemies in Skyrim with them. Also, shipping to New Zealand is free at MP4Nation. I think I'm the only person with a working pair of these things, but if someone else does, then I'd love to hear their impressions too. It's always good to know that you're not delusional. xD

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smopoim86 View Post

I wasn't impressed by the pair of those I purchased. Maybe I got a defective pair (one side is dramatically louder than the other). 

 

The MH463s sound pretty good though. The bass seems a bit heavy but I think they sound great for the price. 

I think you did. Mine does not have any trace of channel imbalance.


Edited by CashNotCredit - 1/11/13 at 1:58pm
post #206 of 539

I've done a few reviews on some of Somics headphones, some were good, some were bad. But I hadn't really tried the MH463 really.

 

I have tried the following:

 

- Somic G909

- Somic G989

- Somic E-95 v2010

- Somic MM163 (MH463 closed-ear brother)

 

 

One interesting point to be made, is that the E-95 v2010 comes with a Carrying case and the MM163 which is MH463's brother, comes with an detachable cable... And the earpads on both seem to be MUCH better than the MH463 from what I've seen...

 

 

 

And I also tried:

 

- Somic ST-1607

- Somic EFI-82

 

But seriously. I already knew from a year ago that the brand was good, but some people would NEVER believe in what I said. Others, who tried them, never got dissapointed (excluding the G909 and G989).

 

Anyways. I already ordered my MH463 today. Let's see how well it will do with my Cowon J3...


Edited by wetto - 1/11/13 at 4:15pm
post #207 of 539
Quote:

Originally Posted by wetto View Post

And I also tried:

 

- Somic EFI-82

Do you know if there is a difference sonically between the 82, the 82 MT, and the 82 Pro?

post #208 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

Do you know if there is a difference sonically between the 82, the 82 MT, and the 82 Pro?

I don't know, but what I do know is that the earpads and the materials themselves used in the 82MT (which is the newest version) and 82 PRO are FAR better than the ones used in the normal 82.

 

The 82 feels waaaaaay too cheap.

 

Now, do you guys want info about the MM163?


Edited by wetto - 1/11/13 at 5:33pm
post #209 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetto View Post

Now, do you guys want info about the MM163?

That'd be great! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetto View Post

I don't know, but what I do know is that the earpads and the materials themselves used in the 82MT (which is the newest version) and 82 PRO are FAR better than the ones used in the normal 82.

 

The 82 feels waaaaaay too cheap.

If the MT is the newest version, do you have any idea why the PRO is more expensive?

 

post #210 of 539

@Cash
Which version did you get?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › 50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing