Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-S770. First over ear carbon nanotubes headphone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-S770. First over ear carbon nanotubes headphone. - Page 7

post #91 of 101

I just happened to stumble on this thread.  I purchased the HA-S400 yesteday - locally.  The HA-S500 headphones, will arrive this coming Wednesday.  I must say that even without any mods, I'm quite curiously tuned into the sound of the HA-S400 at this point in time.  Quite captivating.  Granted, the HA-S400 was $39.99 + tax for me when purchased locally in the U.S.  Then again, I'm trying to figure out what $40.00 could buy at the retail level.  I don't believe Sennheiser has any such offerings as the HD-428 runs about $59.99 when on sale at Best Buy and the head band of the HD-428 is total garbage, in my opinion.  No stability and no grip on the head, what-so-ever in my experience with them.  Plus, I fell asleep with the Sennheiser HD-428 on last weekend and they were trashed when I woke up.

post #92 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post

Analogsurviver.

 

Thx a lot for all the effort and keeping us informed of such an interesting process. As soon as the holidays are over I'll try to "follow on your steps" and save my 770s from the hell-box of forgotten headphones.

 

I have a couple of side-related questions. I am trying to follow your instructions to burn-in the S500. Could you tell me where you established  the resonance frequency for these headphones. I am following you method as described in the other thread, but I get confused and after an hour I am starting to fear for my hearing.

 

Second question, how do you produce a Square-Wave with Sinegen? There are no instructions on the web and the program isn't very self-explanatory. May be is just that I am a little dumb.

I did best as I could with my burn in method - using anything you might possible find online for free. Unfortunately, did not find anything that would be capable of reproducing results with my real hardware ( not virtual gizmos ) devices . I did find web pages offering any frequency/waveshape - but payable and you would be able to afford real signal generator way before 48 hour of signal(s) generated by those web leaches would be payed.

 

I have about five left hands when we come to the computers and unfortunately do not know how to post a "computer screen". If you open the SineGen,

you will find upper corner left Power is off/on button that starts the generator, next to it to the right is Work Function button - there you can select among sine/square/triangle/white noise/pink noise. You can combine any of these by opening the SineGen in another window - so for most practical purposes, best you can do with present SineGen is combination of 15 Hz square wave ( lowest frequency available ) and some white and/or pink noise added.

 

I know the results of the outcome "before" and and "after", but since you probably saw response of the naysayers regarding importance - or even mere existance ( ! ) -  of burn-in, this time I will present measurements with graphs by an authorized Bruel & Kjaer representative without a single word of my "editorial comment". It will all be posted ASAP, pending on finishing touches to the report for it to be able to be presented on these pages still to be completed. It is x-mas/new year time, and I can not expect the gentleman who went above and beyond the call of duty in order to help me with everything needed to do these measurements, to produce the final copy of the results "right away, or else..." I will not write a word more about it before it will be all posted, as I do not want to influence or prepare the reader(s) in any way. 

 

It will be ASAP.

 

It is a "copy/paste affair" ( hope it is not something stupid/dirty... - but I think I did understand the bulk of the message) , but still from the heart :

 

Se cambia de coche, de casa, de ropa, de zapatos, de mes, de look, de trabajo, de año; pero nunca de amigos. ¡¡Feliz año nuevo!!

post #93 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

I just happened to stumble on this thread.  I purchased the HA-S400 yesteday - locally.  The HA-S500 headphones, will arrive this coming Wednesday.  I must say that even without any mods, I'm quite curiously tuned into the sound of the HA-S400 at this point in time.  Quite captivating.  Granted, the HA-S400 was $39.99 + tax for me when purchased locally in the U.S.  Then again, I'm trying to figure out what $40.00 could buy at the retail level.  I don't believe Sennheiser has any such offerings as the HD-428 runs about $59.99 when on sale at Best Buy and the head band of the HD-428 is total garbage, in my opinion.  No stability and no grip on the head, what-so-ever in my experience with them.  Plus, I fell asleep with the Sennheiser HD-428 on last weekend and they were trashed when I woke up.

It is not about HA-S770s only, it is not about JVC's CNT phones only, will be significant for any headphone, not dynamic type only. But since dynamic driver is present in the vast majority of headphones and IEMs, it can be said that in this context it is significant for dynamic HPs and IEMs.

 

Stay tuned & Happy New Year !

s

post #94 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post

Analogsurviver.

 

Thx a lot for all the effort and keeping us informed of such an interesting process. As soon as the holidays are over I'll try to "follow on your steps" and save my 770s from the hell-box of forgotten headphones.

 

I have a couple of side-related questions. I am trying to follow your instructions to burn-in the S500. Could you tell me where you established  the resonance frequency for these headphones. I am following you method as described in the other thread, but I get confused and after an hour I am starting to fear for my hearing.

 

Second question, how do you produce a Square-Wave with Sinegen? There are no instructions on the web and the program isn't very self-explanatory. May be is just that I am a little dumb.

I will re-write the instructions, under no way you should be listening to those technical signals for one hour ! It is a say 10 - 30  second listen at each point MAX, and I will reduce the points to check in order to simplify the whole affair. I simply wanted to teach you how to LISTEN for these things - you can always get an education required, pay >50 K for the equipment required to satisfy the measuring crowd requiring statistycally supported evidence -

and that will still leave you with the exactly same headphones, be it you satisfied with SQ or not; measuring crowd MEASURES, by exactly prescribed methods, with exactly prescribed instruments, within exactly prescribed % window for repeatability for those measurements, etc - and produces data acquisitioned by charts and/or graphs. To be blunt - if you brought a car wheel with a flat tyre on it to measurement crowd, they would measure EXACTLY , with repeatebility, etc, etc, just where it is punctured - and present the data in charts  and graphs. Under no conditions they would try to fix the tyre so that you could limp home with the car somehow. 

 

That is a bit rough and exaggerated comparison - but in effect, it does work exactly as described. The same with doctors - they can not involve themselves emotionally with each and every patient, no matter how horrible and unpersonal you might find this when you or your close ones are affected - or they would soon become unable to perform correctly on the normally expected professional level.

 

I wish I could afford such a setup - and the time needed to find correlations between "measurement crowd data" and "subjective SQ". Because, measuring crowd does not accept or aprove the results obtained on so called "indicators", that is to say measuring devices that are not so tighty specified and calibrated - that is why these measuring devices are so hellishly expensive. No DIY whatever will ever qualify - unless proven equal or better with measurements, but by the time such performance is achieved, it will be likely in the same ballpark price too.

 

Take for example Tyll Hartstens' Audio Precision/HEAD Acoustics setup ; it gets calibrated on/by - you guessed it - Bruel & Kjaer equipment ...

post #95 of 101
Did you get measurements in yet?
post #96 of 101

Aren't S600's the first carb. nanotube over-ears? lol biggrin.gif


Edited by SmOgER - 2/1/13 at 5:29am
post #97 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post

Did you get measurements in yet?

Yes, but have to translate them - and covert to pdf, as excel docs can not be uploaded to head-fi.

post #98 of 101

Just add pdf extension to it (rename with "hide extensions for known types.." disabled in folder options), and we'll rename it back, or just use mega.co.nz or dropbox, no need for converting.


Edited by SmOgER - 2/2/13 at 1:48am
post #99 of 101

Anything new on the S770 front? The price for importing the S500's is slowly dropping here in the U.S. and I'm trying to decide on whether to get another pair or wait and see if I can get the S770's somehow.

post #100 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockdoc View Post

Anything new on the S770 front? The price for importing the S500's is slowly dropping here in the U.S. and I'm trying to decide on whether to get another pair or wait and see if I can get the S770's somehow.
From what analog said these aren't worth it without some heavy modification. You'd probably be better off getting the S500s.
post #101 of 101

im not sure if anyone has said this, but another head-fi thread said the soundstage was weak and hollow :( i suggest S500's with hm5 pad mod

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-S770. First over ear carbon nanotubes headphone.