Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-S770. First over ear carbon nanotubes headphone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-S770. First over ear carbon nanotubes headphone. - Page 4

post #46 of 101
Thread Starter 

After 20 hours of burn in, the S770 hasn't improved all that much. It sounds muffled and distant. Tonally it reminds me a lot the M-80 with less definition and transparency.

 

Burn-in goes on at much higher volume.

post #47 of 101

Sounds worrying. Care to enrich this thread with pix of the hp's on yet? biggrin.gif

post #48 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post

After 20 hours of burn in, the S770 hasn't improved all that much. It sounds muffled and distant. Tonally it reminds me a lot the M-80 with less definition and transparency.

 

Burn-in goes on at much higher volume.

Burn- in on CNT must be as fierce as possible.

 

Since you have T50RPs in avatar and listed in your inventory, please answer  how do they compare to JVC HA-S500  ( and HA-S770, after you burn them in ) ? T50RP seem to be the last possibility for great sound unless splashing big money.

post #49 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

Burn- in on CNT must be as fierce as possible.

 

Since you have T50RPs in avatar and listed in your inventory, please answer  how do they compare to JVC HA-S500  ( and HA-S770, after you burn them in ) ? T50RP seem to be the last possibility for great sound unless splashing big money.


The T50RP is currently out on a loan. This weekend I'll have it back and then I'll post some currente comparitions. Fostex is great in mids and black background, both weak points of the S500 that has tons an tons more bass and highs.


Edited by andkoppel - 11/28/12 at 2:51pm
post #50 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post


The T50RP is currently out on a loan. This weekend I'll have it back and then I'll post some currente comparitions. Fostex is great in mids and black background, both weak points of the S500 that has tons an tons more bass and highs.

Thank you for the answer. I guess your T50RPs will return about at the same time your new 770s will get at least some of the  burn-in required - eagerly awaiting impressions.

post #51 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post

After 20 hours of burn in, the S770 hasn't improved all that much. It sounds muffled and distant. Tonally it reminds me a lot the M-80 with less definition and transparency.

 

Burn-in goes on at much higher volume.


Got to be the bigger pads.

post #52 of 101

Want just to add that the ebay seller magie-casques means bussiness: within couple of hours after paypal payment, confirmation of shipment with tracking # and information from since exact hour it will be traceable in the net arrived. It just does not get any better - BRAVO :

 

http://www.ebay.de/itm/221150093697?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3266wt_699

 

Can't wait .

post #53 of 101

Any new info/pics?

post #54 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gideonMorrison View Post

Any new info/pics?


^ LoL this guy.

post #55 of 101

^ NEED. INFO. PICS. ASAP. DYING. 

 

k?beerchug.gif

post #56 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gideonMorrison View Post

^ NEED. INFO. PICS. ASAP. DYING. 

 

k?beerchug.gif


I admire your persistence, keep at it!!! beerchug.gif

post #57 of 101
Thread Starter 

Ok, after 100 hours of burn in I have to report that maybe the S770 are the first seriously flawed nanotube cans.

 

 I'll begin with what I prefer from the S770 over the S500 (broken-in): voices sound more natural to me and… nothing else.

 

That lack of sub-bass and extended highs that I heard out of the box, remain. Sure after the 100 hours of burn-in everything sounds clearer, but it doesn´t matter because the little bass there is (compared to the S500) bleeds so badly that everything sounds muffled and congested. I can imagine it is due a bad case of the resonances. But I can't give an exact explanation so I won't (hopefully analogsurviver will). I can imagine that the enclosure is not working at all with the driver. Another symptom is an anemic sound space, much, much smaller than the S500’s.

 

Hopefully some modding will improve this cans, because the good driver is there and the form factor is nice and convenient (they press quite a bit more than the S500, but I am big headed).

 

More later when the 200 hours mark is reached.  

post #58 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post

Ok, after 100 hours of burn in I have to report that maybe the S770 are the first seriously flawed nanotube cans.

 

 I'll begin with what I prefer from the S770 over the S500 (broken-in): voices sound more natural to me and… nothing else.

 

That lack of sub-bass and extended highs that I heard out of the box, remain. Sure after the 100 hours of burn-in everything sounds clearer, but it doesn´t matter because the little bass there is (compared to the S500) bleeds so badly that everything sounds muffled and congested. I can imagine it is due a bad case of the resonances. But I can't give an exact explanation so I won't (hopefully analogsurviver will). I can imagine that the enclosure is not working at all with the driver. Another symptom is an anemic sound space, much, much smaller than the S500’s.

 

Hopefully some modding will improve this cans, because the good driver is there and the form factor is nice and convenient (they press quite a bit more than the S500, but I am big headed).

 

More later when the 200 hours mark is reached.  

Sound about like I expected. HA-M750 sound much the same way in original stock form. 

 

The "resonance free" carbon cups are anything but resonance free. If anoyne of you know how carbon rims of racing bicycles sound - that hollow sound is more or less repeated in HA-M750/HA-S770 cups. Nothing an hour of patient work and maybe 5-10 EUR (tops, if you are not careful where you shop ) worth of material can not cure. This mod I have seen published on head-fi, actually it was sugested and linked to HA-S500 thread by another fellow head-fier whose name escapes my memory, as a possible solution to the problem. My HA-M750s are already so modified, as I do not want to open them up, un-mod them again to stock and vice versa just to have pics taken, you will have to wait till my 770s are here and will describe /pic the process. No, these are not earpad (re)sellers wish come true as opposed to HA-S500 - stock pad is just fine and any changes are likely to have negative results. The potential of these cups goes way beyond anything possible with S500, but not doable by pad change alone at all. Mod requires a bit more skills than bending a piece of  toilet tissue a couple of times.

 

Stay tuned !


Edited by analogsurviver - 12/2/12 at 6:36am
post #59 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

Sound about like I expected. HA-M750 sound much the same way in original stock form. 

 

The "resonance free" carbon cups are anything but resonance free. If anoyne of you know how carbon rims of racing bicycles sound - that hollow sound is more or less repeated in HA-M750/HA-S770 cups. Nothing an hour of patient work and maybe 5-10 EUR (tops, if you are not careful where you shop ) worth of material can not cure. This mod I have seen published on head-fi, actually it was sugested and linked to HA-S500 thread by another fellow head-fier whose name escapes my memory, as a possible solution to the problem. My HA-M750s are already so modified, as I do not want to open them up, un-mod them again to stock and vice versa just to have pics taken, you will have to wait till my 770s are here and will describe /pic the process. No, these are not earpad (re)sellers wish come true as opposed to HA-S500 - stock pad is just fine and any changes are likely to have negative results. The potential of these cups goes way beyond anything possible with S500, but not doable by pad change alone at all. Mod requires a bit more skills than bending a piece of  toilet tissue a couple of times.

 

Stay tuned !


Great news.

post #60 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post

Ok, after 100 hours of burn in I have to report that maybe the S770 are the first seriously flawed nanotube cans.

 

 I'll begin with what I prefer from the S770 over the S500 (broken-in): voices sound more natural to me and… nothing else.

 

That lack of sub-bass and extended highs that I heard out of the box, remain. Sure after the 100 hours of burn-in everything sounds clearer, but it doesn´t matter because the little bass there is (compared to the S500) bleeds so badly that everything sounds muffled and congested. I can imagine it is due a bad case of the resonances. But I can't give an exact explanation so I won't (hopefully analogsurviver will). I can imagine that the enclosure is not working at all with the driver. Another symptom is an anemic sound space, much, much smaller than the S500’s.

 

Hopefully some modding will improve this cans, because the good driver is there and the form factor is nice and convenient (they press quite a bit more than the S500, but I am big headed).

 

More later when the 200 hours mark is reached.  

This is a little disappointing, I was really excited for some over-ear nanotubes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-S770. First over ear carbon nanotubes headphone.