I am currently deliberating on a set of full-size headphones. I currently on a pair of Etymotic Research ER-4P that don't really work for me. The in-ear design gives me ear-aches and one side never seals as good as the other. So that conundrum considered, I've decided to make the switch to full-size headphones. The pairs I am currently considering are the AKG K550, Sennheiser Momentums, and Sony MDR-1R. I listen to a pretty wide range of music, soft rock, hard distorted rock, jazz, classic rock, instrumental hip hop, post rock, reggae, experimental rock, ambient music, bluegrass, and so on. Plenty of varieties of rock music, with lots of hip-hop-oriented beats, etc. I need a pair of 'phones that will be fairly competent in all these genres. Looking to spend $400 or less on the headphones and amp (if necessary). Comfort is a big aspect in my decision, and I've heard good things about the Sony and Sennheiser psirs, but nothing much on the AKG's. I was looking at the AKG K701 a while ago, but I would like to stray away from anything that absolutely requires amplification. So all things considered, could you guys give advice me on the pairs I have listed, and maybe list some others if I missed anything good in my price range? Thanks for the help
Related Forum Threads
- What to get for Christmas? Last post on 12/6/12 at 3:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- (partly) Portable full sized headphones? Last post on 4/7/13 at 2:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a student on the go. Last post on 3/29/13 at 9:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Where do I go from here? Last post on 3/30/13 at 11:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Around Ear Closed Back Headphones Last post on 2/11/13 at 6:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
A friend of mine needed a new headphone, which was cheap, closed and good sounding. I said to him, dream on friend it will be very tough to find a headphone with those criteria. But then after...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the K550. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The AKG K550...
Decision on a set of full size headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
it's been so long since i've used the ER's i can't remember much on their sound. i remember enjoying them though. mainly looking for someone to advice me on the sets i have listed. i'm primarily interested in the K550, as i've got a pretty big head and i don't think i'll have much issue getting a seal with them. comfort is a huge factor in my decision along with pretty accurate sound reproduction without having to use an amp or dac.
- Decision on a set of full size headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › JDS Labs C5 portable amplifier appreciation + discussion thread... just now
- › Sony DJ headphones 26 seconds ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews 32 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 44 seconds ago
- › what is the best portable headphone amp/ dac for the ath m50's 44 seconds ago
- › HeadAmp Headphone Demos (Audeze, HiFiMAN, Stax) -- sign up now 1 minute ago
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 2 minutes ago
- › Rein Audio X3-DAC Review 3 minutes ago
- › Any good amp to use with FiiO E10 DAC for desktop? (AKG-K702 Anni... 4 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Aune T1 by teb1013
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe