I am currently deliberating on a set of full-size headphones. I currently on a pair of Etymotic Research ER-4P that don't really work for me. The in-ear design gives me ear-aches and one side never seals as good as the other. So that conundrum considered, I've decided to make the switch to full-size headphones. The pairs I am currently considering are the AKG K550, Sennheiser Momentums, and Sony MDR-1R. I listen to a pretty wide range of music, soft rock, hard distorted rock, jazz, classic rock, instrumental hip hop, post rock, reggae, experimental rock, ambient music, bluegrass, and so on. Plenty of varieties of rock music, with lots of hip-hop-oriented beats, etc. I need a pair of 'phones that will be fairly competent in all these genres. Looking to spend $400 or less on the headphones and amp (if necessary). Comfort is a big aspect in my decision, and I've heard good things about the Sony and Sennheiser psirs, but nothing much on the AKG's. I was looking at the AKG K701 a while ago, but I would like to stray away from anything that absolutely requires amplification. So all things considered, could you guys give advice me on the pairs I have listed, and maybe list some others if I missed anything good in my price range? Thanks for the help
Related Forum Threads
- What to get for Christmas? Last post on 12/6/12 at 3:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help picking out mid-range headphones (HD598, K545 and the likes) Last post on 5/8/14 at 4:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Harman Kardon CL Review (Updated after burn Review) Last post on 7/25/14 at 11:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R or AKG K550? Last post on 11/17/13 at 8:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony mdr-1r vs Sennheiser Momentum vs Sennheiser Amperior vs Akg K550 Last post on 6/2/14 at 11:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
Schiit Ragnarok: Is It Love, or Is It Just Schiit? Introduction: This part is just to give you some background on my experience and how I’ve arrived at the Schiit Ragnarok before...
my repost from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/930 Just my two cents, to me, I feel...
When MEE was describing their new iems to me this is what they said: "... these earphones heavily emphasize comfort and appearance, they have nicely balanced sound that is less bassy compared to...
Decision on a set of full size headphonespost #1 of 311/22/12 at 5:09amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 311/22/12 at 11:25ampost #3 of 311/22/12 at 12:12pmThread Starter
it's been so long since i've used the ER's i can't remember much on their sound. i remember enjoying them though. mainly looking for someone to advice me on the sets i have listed. i'm primarily interested in the K550, as i've got a pretty big head and i don't think i'll have much issue getting a seal with them. comfort is a huge factor in my decision along with pretty accurate sound reproduction without having to use an amp or dac.
- Decision on a set of full size headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › where can I order beyerdynamic t51p ear pads replacement? 46 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › AudioValve RKV-II (OTL amp) (2014 version) + AudioValve Box... 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 minutes ago
- › B.M.C. Announces PureDAC 4 minutes ago
- › $100 IEMs For Rock/Metal 4 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem? 4 minutes ago
- › Official Metro Detroit 2014 Meet/Party/Get-Together 9/20/2014... 5 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)