Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread - Page 56

post #826 of 2237

Okay so my Cowon D2 packed up last night. If only I screwed that cap on my bottle of water properly when I threw it into my backpack I wouldn't be posting here today...sigh.

 

Anyway I was very content with my D2 and Denon AH-D1001 headphone combo so am probably gonna replace my D2 with the updated version C2. Dammit I've now seen this colorfly C3 thingy and I'm tempted !

 

I'm lacking some info on the unit as the manual on the website is in German and I don't see an exhaustive spec on the Colorfly site either. So does anyone know ... .

1 ) Is there a left / right balance control ?

2 ) Does it have FM radio ?

3) I have for years organised my files into folders by Genre>Artists>Albums>Tracks

which works great for me. With this setup will file navigation be fairly straight-forward or is the UI so quirky that it's still cumbersome. 

4) Anyone use their C3 with a pair of Denon AH-d1001? How do they pair ?

post #827 of 2237

1.  No.  2.  No.  3.  Not that I can tell.  4.  Not me.

post #828 of 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzony View Post

Okay so my Cowon D2 packed up last night. If only I screwed that cap on my bottle of water properly when I threw it into my backpack I wouldn't be posting here today...sigh.

Anyway I was very content with my D2 and Denon AH-D1001 headphone combo so am probably gonna replace my D2 with the updated version C2. Dammit I've now seen this colorfly C3 thingy and I'm tempted !

I'm lacking some info on the unit as the manual on the website is in German and I don't see an exhaustive spec on the Colorfly site either. So does anyone know ... .
1 ) Is there a left / right balance control ?
2 ) Does it have FM radio ?
3) I have for years organised my files into folders by Genre>Artists>Albums>Tracks
which works great for me. With this setup will file navigation be fairly straight-forward or is the UI so quirky that it's still cumbersome. 
4) Anyone use their C3 with a pair of Denon AH-d1001? How do they pair ?

The player is very simple, designed around sound quality, you can only browse by folder selection, there's a few basic preset EQ's such as jazz, rock, classical, bass, some brightness settings (for the screen), time out (for the screen) and that's about it. When you turn C3 on you see two options internal / external memory, you select a folder and play the files within that folder. The player sounds best flat as it was intended by Colorfly.

I have had both D2+ and C2 in the past, if you're willing to focus on SQ and throw all the features away C3 is superior. C2 is a decent player as an alternative option but it won't sound good as Colourfly.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 3/1/13 at 8:42pm
post #829 of 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post

1.  No.  2.  No.  3.  Not that I can tell.  4.  Not me.

 

??? confused.gif

post #830 of 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post

Well, it arrived today while I was out.  Charged it up, plugged it in (using a silver-plated cable) and started playing with it.  Love the gain switch but feel guilty with it on.  Right now I'm using LF and SF (I'm NEVER turning off the SF switch!!!) and it seems to be just about right.  Then I hit the damn gain switch, turn the volume down a bit and I really like it.  But it just seems too boomy with my Triple Fi's.  I turn off the LF, still seems a bit too bass-y for me.  So I turn the gain off and hit the LF, then turn up the volume again.  This is gonna take some time to sort out.  Except for the SF switch.  I'm gonna MARRY it!!  Makes the C3 sound different (fuller) which is not necessarily a bad thing.  But it will take some getting used to.  Which is also not necessarily a bad thing.  smily_headphones1.gif

Haha I know right?

That SF switch is like SRS WOW effect! I love it. biggrin.gif

Turned it on with my Yamaha EPH100 plugged in yesterday and just flew off into space on a rocket haha
post #831 of 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

 

??? confused.gif

Look at post 826

beyersmile.png

post #832 of 2237

why not just put the songs in separate folders?  For instance I have 30GB of albums sorted as such:

 

genre folders ---> Artist folders ---> album folders ---> songs.

 

i have 6 genre folders, and then a large amount of artist folders under each, between 1 and 15 albums under each artist, and then the song files placed in each of the album folders.

 

works like any other mp3 player at that point, you just go down through the hierarchy till you get the album you want.  Only difference is you have to do the original file structure, not the mp3 player.  I happen to have all my files sorted like that on my computer, so its just a case of click and drag, took 10 minutes to fill the thing.  

post #833 of 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


The player is very simple, designed around sound quality, you can only browse by folder selection, there's a few basic preset EQ's such as jazz, rock, classical, bass, some brightness settings (for the screen), time out (for the screen) and that's about it. When you turn C3 on you see two options internal / external memory, you select a folder and play the files within that folder. The player sounds best flat as it was intended by Colorfly.

I have had both D2+ and C2 in the past, if you're willing to focus on SQ and throw all the features away C3 is superior. C2 is a decent player as an alternative option but it won't sound good as Colourfly.

 

Oh I forgot to ask if it has a custom EQ? Also, since you had the D2+ and the C2 would you say the C2 is at least as good as the D2 sound quality wise? 

post #834 of 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzony View Post

Oh I forgot to ask if it has a custom EQ? Also, since you had the D2+ and the C2 would you say the C2 is at least as good as the D2 sound quality wise? 

No custom EQ on C3 only the presets I mentioned, you choose the headphone around the player, rather than EQ the player to the headphone.

Been a long time since I heard C2 though I remember it being an upgrade in SQ over D2+ IMO which I wasn't to fond of. The problem I remember with C2 and D2 was their soundstages were rather narrow which causes congestion, instruments don't have much air, this messes up the layering and samples get lost, smeared and covered over, but sure they sound decent and have good output power, I was fairly fond of C2 watching videos and playing with BBE. It's not to far behind the sound quality of my old S9. Depends what you want really, I would use C2 as a fail safe if you're unsure about the C3. It's just the sound quality of the Colourfly leaves those two Cowon models behind.

Features or SQ, it's up to you.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 3/4/13 at 2:22am
post #835 of 2237
Quote:
No custom EQ on C3 only the presets I mentioned, you choose the headphone around the player, rather than EQ the player to the headphone.

 

Right, no custom EQ is not good. No chance whatsoever I'm gonna pick a headphone that matches the C3 to my tastes. Maybe some day when I'm rich and famous lol

 

Wasn't quite sure what you meant by this comment :

 

Quote:
Been a long time since I heard C2 though I remember it being an upgrade in SQ over D2+ IMO which I wasn't to fond of.

 

Do you mean Cowon promoted the C2  as an improvement over the D2  sq wise, but you thought it was not as good ! ? 

post #836 of 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzony View Post

Do you mean Cowon promoted the C2  as an improvement over the D2  sq wise, but you thought it was not as good ! ? 

I personally enjoyed the C2 more than D2+, that's what I meant. smile.gif So it's just personal opinion.
post #837 of 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzony View Post

 

Right, no custom EQ is not good. No chance whatsoever I'm gonna pick a headphone that matches the C3 to my tastes. Maybe some day when I'm rich and famous lol

 

Wasn't quite sure what you meant by this comment :

 

 

Do you mean Cowon promoted the C2  as an improvement over the D2  sq wise, but you thought it was not as good ! ? 

D2 hardware dates back to like 2007. I had the iAudio 9 and a D2 at the same time, and the i9 was noticeably clearer sounding.(with all EQ and DSP turned off) 

post #838 of 2237

oh okay, that's good. So I think I'll leave the C3 for the moment and go with C2. Think i'll be happy with that for the time being : ) Want both really if I'm honest ! : ) 

@Achmedisdead I had the iAudio 9 too once - lasted all about a couple of weeks in my sweaty pocket but got my money back. Kinda liked it too in it's own quirky way.

post #839 of 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzony View Post

oh okay, that's good. So I think I'll leave the C3 for the moment and go with C2. Think i'll be happy with that for the time being : ) Want both really if I'm honest ! : ) 

@Achmedisdead I had the iAudio 9 too once - lasted all about a couple of weeks in my sweaty pocket but got my money back. Kinda liked it too in it's own quirky way.

The C2 should sound just like the i9 did.  But the C2 has a card slot for adding storage, and much better battery life, so once you get used to it, you'll probably enjoy it. Cowons are quirky players, for sure.....I have an X9 now. Good luck!

post #840 of 2237

Hey guys, I am having a problem with the C3. I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB micro SD  HC1 to store my music. The C3 will not play any of my FLAC files at all. I can store them on the card, put them into a reader and play them on the PC no problem...but when inserted into the C3...all I get is loud static for every single song. If I convert down to 320 mp3...they play fine. I'm at a loss here...could someone shed any light onto this?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread