Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread - Page 29

post #421 of 2176
Ozkan, i see your point and i see where it comes from. As i can see Phonak 112, i assume you mean them, so 112 is single balanced armature and as such it needs amplification to reveal bass bottom end. Without amplification single armature will sound thin and clinical. Buy a good amp and you will see how c3 will change sound, believe me i have Musical Fidelity which is very neutral sounding and is single armature... if i use them without amping they sound like a surgeon's knife... But amped MF sounds like a true high end, precise, revealing and engaging. I also have shure se215 which sounds very nice not amped on c3 but... when you add amp and MF single armature there is no way back... Se215 is good workhorse but it does not cut it for high end sound. So before throwing away phonak perhaps you can borrow and try amping them with c3. I also suggest unlike with player many IEMs need burn-in... For my Musical Fidelity advises 100 hours burn in.... But it is nothing in high end terms, for Swiss made Nagra or Goldmund high-end you may need up to 200 or more hours :-)
post #422 of 2176
Koba, thanks, will keep an eye on this coming cool.gif
post #423 of 2176
Ozkan, music is eeious hobby, if you would try to select grand piano for your home playing you would understand me, this takes weeks if not months... Same applies to high end gear and those buying c3 crave for high end sound, not muffed and tolled off terbles and bass... So patience and experimenting will bring you to audio Nirvanna :-)

As a matter of fact try portable amplifier for phonak... I went this way for my musical fidelity and had no regrets.
post #424 of 2176
Sorry fat fingers, must read Serious not eerious and rolled instead of tolled redface.gif
post #425 of 2176

Thanks for the replies @Gintaras. I know that Pfe needs amping to show its full potential. What I am trying to say is Meizu gives better sound with Pfe's. Better bass, no piercing highs even at flat on C3. Maybe it is because of C3's headphone out is weak compared to Meizu M6. I can feel the bass rumble on Meizu but not with C3. I will give it a try with an amp and see the results. Which amp do you recommend for C3? 


Edited by ozkan - 1/30/13 at 3:17pm
post #426 of 2176
@Ozkan http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Have a read, the C&C BH seems to be giving a lot of good results for the price.
post #427 of 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Curiosity9 View Post

@Ozkan http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Have a read, the C&C BH seems to be giving a lot of good results for the price.

Several head-fiers have recommended C&C BH to pair with C3 that will improve the sound significantly.

 

From sound quality, what has C3 improved when amped with C&C BH?

 

Because the C3 does not has line out and the output source has been amped by its internal amp that contains ceratin amount of noise level.

post #428 of 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

Several head-fiers have recommended C&C BH to pair with C3 that will improve the sound significantly.

From sound quality, what has C3 improved when amped with C&C BH?

Because the C3 does not has line out and the output source has been amped by its internal amp that contains ceratin amount of noise level.

Tightens up the bass response, increases clarity,, sound stage widens / becomes deeper. Texture of the low end improves, you gain some really clean punchy bass detail. Most of all cleans up that thinning out C3 is profound for at higher volumes due to the weak 13mW per channel with some IEM. Gives the signature a fuller thicker, well rounded presentation without losing detailing.

Although you're double amping that hasn't stopped many others using E11 in the past with good results. C3 signal is very clean, the amp 2Curiosity9 mentioned takes what E11 did and improves on that one step further. If you read the old thread there were many members reporting positive results amping C3. So, take a clean amp add a clean source you get good results.

You may not of had good results amping with your GoVibe Vestamp, however that's only one amp, just like bad synergy is created with C3 and headphone it doesn't agree with. Don't be to quick writting off improvements just because you found none with one particular amp. It's not the end to all.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 1/31/13 at 12:22am
post #429 of 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Tightens up the bass response, increases clarity,, sound stage widens / becomes deeper. Texture of the low end improves, you gain some really clean punchy bass detail. Most of all cleans up that thinning out C3 is profound for at higher volumes due to the weak 13mW per channel with some IEM. Gives the signature a fuller thicker, well rounded presentation without losing detailing.

Although you're double amping that hasn't stopped many others using E11 in the past with good results. C3 signal is very clean, the amp 2Curiosity9 mentioned takes what E11 did and improves on that one step further. If you read the old thread there were many members reporting positive results amping C3. So, take a clean amp add a clean source you get good results.

You may not of had good results amping with your GoVibe Vestamp, however that's only one amp, just like bad synergy is created with C3 and headphone it doesn't agree with. Don't be to quick righting off improvements just because you found none with one particular amp. It's not the end to all.

You have a point. Let me get the C&C BH + silver plated cable and then I will share again my listening experience with C3.

post #430 of 2176
The C3 uses the TI PCM1770 DAC which has the built-in headphone amplifier. I've sampled some PCM1772 DAC chips which are pin compatible and have a Line Out instead of the HP Out.

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1772

So when these arrive I am going to swap the DAC chip to experiment with a true line out.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
post #431 of 2176

Ozkan, i truly believe you. my se215 unamped on C3 sounds just good, warm and bass is present... my musical fidelity eb50 unamped sound thin and clinical on C3... amped with ZO things chnage dramatically. eb50 sings, bass is tight, articulation and details are top notch, soundstage and else goodies are present... se215 sounds good but is not close to eb50 in this case. i said i believe single armature earphones on C3 love amping... dynamic driver earphones sing straight from the box. go figure what is better. i crave for high end sound and so i prefer amped eb50 by far. some others may like more mellowish sounding se215 unamped.

 

i just ordered C&C BH and a thick silver-copper bent interconnect, will report results when i receive it. right now i am using ZO2.3 and it gives fairly good result but ZO is only bass booster and good results are achieved only in subwoofer mode. in amp mode ZO2 is not very interesting.

post #432 of 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

You have a point. Let me get the C&C BH + silver plated cable and then I will share again my listening experience with C3.

Well it's up to you, along with what I mentioned the increases in dynamics, stereo and bass impact are rather impressive, but best of all does this without bogging down the rest of the frequency range, especially when using the low field switch. Really takes the whole player up a notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

The C3 uses the TI PCM1770 DAC which has the built-in headphone amplifier. I've sampled some PCM1772 DAC chips which are pin compatible and have a Line Out instead of the HP Out.

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1772

So when these arrive I am going to swap the DAC chip to experiment with a true line out.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

That indeed will be interesting TrollDragon.
post #433 of 2176

Hey guys, I just got a C3 today and I have to say she sounds great! I'm coming from a RWA iModded iPod Video and this C3 is DEFINITELY a step up in sound. I'm using her unamped for now...and considering putting my FiiO E17 or cMoy BB. But from what I'm hearing, it doesn't really need it. It's absolutely bringing my Heir 4Ai's to life. 

 

So far I haven't had any popping or weird noises...BUT...strangely...I've found that I can't play my Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon rip. It's FLAC DVD-Audio 96khz/24bit Rip

downsampled to 44,1khz/16bit,,,,5.1 (4.1 + silent center). Any idea why it can't play on the C3?
post #434 of 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefalkon View Post

Hey guys, I just got a C3 today and I have to say she sounds great! I'm coming from a RWA iModded iPod Video and this C3 is DEFINITELY a step up in sound. I'm using her unamped for now...and considering putting my FiiO E17 or cMoy BB. But from what I'm hearing, it doesn't really need it. It's absolutely bringing my Heir 4Ai's to life. 

 

So far I haven't had any popping or weird noises...BUT...strangely...I've found that I can't play my Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon rip. It's FLAC DVD-Audio 96khz/24bit Rip

downsampled to 44,1khz/16bit,,,,5.1 (4.1 + silent center). Any idea why it can't play on the C3?

I'm very interestd to know if  FiiO E17 or cMoy BB have a good synergy with C3.

post #435 of 2176
Its the 5.1 element thats the problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread