Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread - Page 94

post #1396 of 2260

Review of the C3? There's a locked thread at the start of this thread, and then there is this thread.  And I believe H20Fidelity linked a bunch of reviews, but I can't recall which thread it was in.  What is it you feel is missing from these threads that you need?

post #1397 of 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious7 View Post

I can't seem to find a review of this dap in this forum. The only one that was a review was deleted. Anyone have a link to a full review?

Here's a few, there used to be a review in another thread (which was very informative) but the loon who authored it, removed it. rolleyes.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/colorfly-c3/reviews
post #1398 of 2260
Olddude, what you want to know about C3? can we help?

just be sure remember that C3 is great little DAP which will play uncompressed music but no high res files... also while using it you must keep telling yourself this is all about sound because its UI was designed by dedicated masochist or sadist.

another observation i make is C3 loves amping and goes on higher level easily while retaining smooth sonics and midcentric romance. i love this little white metal brick no matter UI which is pain in rear... i got used to it after some weeks just be patient :-)
post #1399 of 2260
Anyone know what the low output impedance is of the C3? I can't seem to find that information.
post #1400 of 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Anyone know what the low output impedance is of the C3? I can't seem to find that information.

 

From the data sheet "Analog output load resistance 16Ω Min."

http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/pcm1770

 

That is the DAC chip it uses with a built-in headphone amplifier, and they pretty much follow the sample circuitry.

post #1401 of 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

From the data sheet "Analog output load resistance 16Ω Min."
http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/pcm1770

That is the DAC chip it uses with a built-in headphone amplifier, and they pretty much follow the sample circuitry.

Thanks!
post #1402 of 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

Olddude, what you want to know about C3? can we help?

just be sure remember that C3 is great little DAP which will play uncompressed music but no high res files... also while using it you must keep telling yourself this is all about sound because its UI was designed by dedicated masochist or sadist.

another observation i make is C3 loves amping and goes on higher level easily while retaining smooth sonics and midcentric romance. i love this little white metal brick no matter UI which is pain in rear... i got used to it after some weeks just be patient :-)

Excuse me?  I was replying to another post bemoaning the fact the OP couldn't find any reviews of the C3, and pointing him at several threads to read.  Then H20 chimed in with more info.  Nothing to do with ME needing info.

post #1403 of 2260

ok ok ok, perhaps was late and i was too tired to scroll back :-D

post #1404 of 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

From the data sheet "Analog output load resistance 16Ω Min."
http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/pcm1770

That is the DAC chip it uses with a built-in headphone amplifier, and they pretty much follow the sample circuitry.

So, has anyone actually measured C3 to establish the actual output impedance is 16ohms, or are we just assuming off the DAC specs?Would it be right to say the DAC runs through much more circuitry before reaching the HO?

I wish someone could measure C3 and confirm, because Skamp was showing us an RMMA with a 32ohm load using TF10 and said going off the graph output impedance is most likely very low, or we would see a severe transformation in the treble regoins, and I somewhat trust his judgement on this.


Quote:
While the C3 is showing a bass roll-off, its output impedance is likely to be very low (otherwise, you'd see a huge treble roll-off on that graph, because of the TF10's impedance curve):




Skamps post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571987/is-sansa-clip-really-that-good/300#post_9447933

RMMA source: http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/ColorflyC3/data.htm
Edited by H20Fidelity - 6/18/13 at 4:50am
post #1405 of 2260

Gee- I was walking down the street, listening to my C3 and the bass rolled off and fell into the gutter.  Then the TREBLE!! rolled off as well.  There I was, stuck listening to the mids.  It was awful.  triportsad.gif

 

Seriously, the darn thing sounds great, just by itself.  With the BH amp, it makes great music sound, well, great.  Using my TF-10s, I couldn't be happier.  Though I may buy the new Kef 200 IEMs just because I listen to Kef speakers at home and love them (a pair of 304s from 1980 [!] still going strong and a 7.1 3005 setup for home theater).  I went through the thread H20Fidelity linked to and found this:

 

 

Bass roll-off on C3 is due to the 220uF output caps required by the PCM1770's spec. Even with TF10 (32ohm), -1dB @ 40Hz and corner frequency @ 22Hz ain't that bad at all. If you use it with an amp, there should be no roll-off at all (higher impedance headphone works in a lesser, but similar manner on pushing down the corner frequency). Also will be interesting if someone decided to mod it with bigger caps, which seems to be fairly easy.

 

 

Sounds like the C3 ain't that bad after all. As to testing results, and their worth, I can recall a Consumer Reports test of SLR cameras in the late 70's in which the testers found much not to like about Nikon cameras.  Yet I used Nikons professionally for 30 years, Fs through F3s, and never had any issues.  I had a shutter stick on one of my F3s on a job, once.  Other than that, I took literally hundreds of thousands of pictures with each camera with no problems.  Can't get more empirical  than that (we are talking about 5-6 cameras over that time).  And I never had a lens failure.  So I'll just keep on using my C3 and won't worry about someone with a graph.  I like what I hear.  Does anything else matter?


Edited by olddude - 6/18/13 at 8:21pm
post #1406 of 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

 

From the data sheet "Analog output load resistance 16Ω Min."

http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/pcm1770

 

That is the DAC chip it uses with a built-in headphone amplifier, and they pretty much follow the sample circuitry.


This is really only telling you what is recommended on the load side of things, not what the actual "impedance out" is ( just noticing the MIN as in minimum there ) If they are following at least the 8 ( or was it 10 x ) times rule then it could be as low as 2 to 1.6  ohm or lower.  Just my two cents . could be wrong and maybe i am not thinking straight here at the moment or misreading that spec.


Edited by nick n - 6/18/13 at 9:51pm
post #1407 of 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post


This is really only telling you what is recommended on the load side of things, not what the actual "impedance out" is ( just noticing the MIN as in minimum there ) If they are following at least the 8 ( or was it 10 x ) times rule then it could be as low as 2 to 1.6  ohm or lower.  Just my two cents . could be wrong and maybe i am not thinking straight here at the moment or misreading that spec.


Tis true nick, it is a recommended minimum but it's the only info we have at the moment... dt880smile.png

post #1408 of 2260

Hmm I had thought somewhere along the line here we actually had someone write to them and get an actual spec,  Is this just my wishful imagination?  This thing still impresses me regardless :)

post #1409 of 2260

Is there any way to return to the song that was playing when you're on a different screen?

post #1410 of 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post

Is there any way to return to the song that was playing when you're on a different screen?

If you just keep pressing the back button, it should take you back to the play screen?

I can't try atm, because my player is not with me, but I'm fairly certain that's correct.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread