after spending hours watching videos and going through list after list of headphone reviews and descriptions (I'm sick so I don't really have anything better to do) I've gone from debating between the klispch s4i's and the beats tours to falling in love with the velodyne vpulse. So, I'm looking for some opinion on them. I really want the bass they offer but I want to know how well the mids and highs perform. please only comment if you have had a decent amount of first hand experience with them. thx
- productBeats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productMonster Turbine In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productVelodyne vPulsetagged by System, 11/28/12
- productYamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- HELP Head-Fiers!! Please! Last post on 11/18/12 at 12:02am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEMs for Hip-Hop / Rap music? $100 and under. Last post on 9/16/12 at 4:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Rap, Trance, Eurodance, pop, electronic <= ($150-$170) Last post on 8/9/12 at 2:00pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Monster Beats Tour, Monster Turbine, or Klipsch S4?? Last post on 7/17/10 at 7:56am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
INTRODUCTION I have received FiiO DK1 directly from FiiO company in exchange for my honest opinion (as you will surely find out soon). BACKGROUND This will be short, since you don't...
I do like this headphone quite a bit although I'll be the first to say that I have a soft spot for Beyer phones being my first taste of the audiophile world. This is a review of a...
When I was a child in the '80s, one of my neighbour's kids, a gloriously goofy-looking guy of the era, was always out on his driveway fixing his motorbikes, then later, his car, a vintage Ford V8....
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
looking for some straight up opinion on the sound of the velodyne vpulse
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Okay so the only other IEM that I have on hand to compare the vPulse's to is the Philips SHE3580. Not sure if you've heard them. I used to have a lot higher end IEMs but I've sold them. Anyway...
To be honest I never really liked the Klipsch S4's. They sounded far too boomy and sibilant to my ears. I had to turn down the volume of anything that I was listening to in order to even have them at an enjoyable level. This was some while ago, back when I was using an iPod touch to listen to, so time and the source I was using might have some influence over how I feel about them.
As far as IEMs go, I use them mostly when I'm out and about. So, I want something quite loud and not-so refined. I'm not looking to critically listen while I'm walking to class or something. Anyway...
I feel like these provide quite a lot of bass, especially in terms of heavy mid-bass tracks prevalent in electronic genres. They can boom if the song is already bass emphasized, and only then do I feel like it's really over bearing. They have excellent sub-bass extension that's high enough in volume that you have almost feel it. The only thing I would be to tone down the mid-bass so it's more in line with the rest of the audio.
The mids feel a bit recessed to me, and that's a real shame. Vocals sound too far away for my liking, especially in comparison to the mid-bass. That's all I have to really say about that.
Highs are...adequate? There's not much sparkle at all to speak of, but the notes are defined enough. Clarity overall is quite good, but you won't find yourself picking out little nuances without consciously doing so. But then again, this IEM isn't trying to be that sort of IEM, you know?
Overall, I would recommend these if you listen to bass heavy music, obviously. Not at all for acoustic/classical. I mean, they're passable, but there's so much better options out there. But then again I doubt that you're really into those genres considering your initial options you listed. It will be excellent for dubstep (and I mean actual dubstep like Burial, Phaeleh, etc), brostep if you're into that sort of thing, hip-hop and trip hop and all other sorts of bass heavy tracks.
As far as recommending them over the Tours or the S4s? Eh I personally wouldn't buy the Tours, but that's personal bias. I haven't had time to adequately listen to them, so I couldn't advise you there. From memory, I would say that these are sonically superior to the Klipsch S4s, but depending on the price I might recommend that you go with the S4s. From memory I wouldn't say that I would pay double for these than I would the S4s. Again, this is from memory.
Good for bass heavy tracks. Mids and highs are nothing special.
Wouldn't recommend Tours, but have no real experience with them. Would recommend the S4s if the price is right.
I think you might be referring to joker's review? He means flat in terms of soundstage I'm pretty sure. The soundstage is not at all distracting to me.
I'm not saying the mids and highs are bad by any means either. They are quite clear, but they're nothing special, particularly in comparison to some more detail focused IEMs.
As far as something comparable in terms of bass but having more clarity? I wouldn't be able to say, at least in this price range. You might want to look into the JVC FXT90s. A lot of people like them, and they seemed quite good for the brief time that I had them.
Other people seem to like the Yamaha-EPH100s as well. I wouldn't be able to say though; I haven't heard them. People say they are quite good with electronic music.
Monster Turbines are supposed to have great bass also. Again, these I haven't heard, but you can get them refurbished for like 80 bucks.
Sorry I can't offer you any real first hand experience with any of those suggestions...
no problem. If you want, I can sell you my pair. I have oddly shaped ears and ear canals, so unfortunately I can never get these things to be comfortable. I would keep them if I could get them to stay in my ears, but this is a problem that I have with a lot of IEMs haha. I just got them on the 21st so they're in immaculate condition.
Hit me up if you're interested. If not, good luck in your search haha
I listen to a lot of Dubstep like Phaeleh as mentioned above and these really are worth every penny!
- looking for some straight up opinion on the sound of the velodyne vpulse
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › moving from Windows to Mac, is iTunes at all realistic for... 8 seconds ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-6 3 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 5 minutes ago
- › ZTE AXON 7-America's First HiFi Mobile Audio & Dolby ATMOS 6 minutes ago
- › Who are you going to vote for? 8 minutes ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 10 minutes ago
- › Echobox: The Unveiling @ CES 2015 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO Multifunction Dock (DK1) by OSiRiSsk
- › beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO Studio Headphones by Soundsgoodtome
- › Chord DAVE by Currawong
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...