after spending hours watching videos and going through list after list of headphone reviews and descriptions (I'm sick so I don't really have anything better to do) I've gone from debating between the klispch s4i's and the beats tours to falling in love with the velodyne vpulse. So, I'm looking for some opinion on them. I really want the bass they offer but I want to know how well the mids and highs perform. please only comment if you have had a decent amount of first hand experience with them. thx
- productBeats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productMonster Turbine In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productVelodyne vPulse In-Ear Headphones (Classic Black)tagged by System, 11/28/12
- productYamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- HELP Head-Fiers!! Please! Last post on 11/18/12 at 12:02am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEMs for Hip-Hop / Rap music? $100 and under. Last post on 9/16/12 at 4:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Rap, Trance, Eurodance, pop, electronic <= ($150-$170) Last post on 8/9/12 at 2:00pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Monster Beats Tour, Monster Turbine, or Klipsch S4?? Last post on 7/17/10 at 7:56am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Have been listening to my new iCAN Micro for couple weeks now. Before that I use the headphone output directly out of my iDSD Micro. First of all i just want to say that iDSD Micro is great....
A little background before I start. I'm 16 years old and I slowly began to become addicted to fine, audiophile-quality headphones. I remember the first time I heard beats at an apple store. I...
The Major 6 was one of the older models in chord&Major's lineup that has been revamped into the Major 6'13, inline with the Tonal Earphone series design principles. While it looks identical to the...
REMEMBER! No elitists aloud here. Headphones are objects with personality! The richest people can enjoy the cheapest headphone just because it provides the sound he's looking for, has the highs...
looking for some straight up opinion on the sound of the velodyne vpulse
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Okay so the only other IEM that I have on hand to compare the vPulse's to is the Philips SHE3580. Not sure if you've heard them. I used to have a lot higher end IEMs but I've sold them. Anyway...
To be honest I never really liked the Klipsch S4's. They sounded far too boomy and sibilant to my ears. I had to turn down the volume of anything that I was listening to in order to even have them at an enjoyable level. This was some while ago, back when I was using an iPod touch to listen to, so time and the source I was using might have some influence over how I feel about them.
As far as IEMs go, I use them mostly when I'm out and about. So, I want something quite loud and not-so refined. I'm not looking to critically listen while I'm walking to class or something. Anyway...
I feel like these provide quite a lot of bass, especially in terms of heavy mid-bass tracks prevalent in electronic genres. They can boom if the song is already bass emphasized, and only then do I feel like it's really over bearing. They have excellent sub-bass extension that's high enough in volume that you have almost feel it. The only thing I would be to tone down the mid-bass so it's more in line with the rest of the audio.
The mids feel a bit recessed to me, and that's a real shame. Vocals sound too far away for my liking, especially in comparison to the mid-bass. That's all I have to really say about that.
Highs are...adequate? There's not much sparkle at all to speak of, but the notes are defined enough. Clarity overall is quite good, but you won't find yourself picking out little nuances without consciously doing so. But then again, this IEM isn't trying to be that sort of IEM, you know?
Overall, I would recommend these if you listen to bass heavy music, obviously. Not at all for acoustic/classical. I mean, they're passable, but there's so much better options out there. But then again I doubt that you're really into those genres considering your initial options you listed. It will be excellent for dubstep (and I mean actual dubstep like Burial, Phaeleh, etc), brostep if you're into that sort of thing, hip-hop and trip hop and all other sorts of bass heavy tracks.
As far as recommending them over the Tours or the S4s? Eh I personally wouldn't buy the Tours, but that's personal bias. I haven't had time to adequately listen to them, so I couldn't advise you there. From memory, I would say that these are sonically superior to the Klipsch S4s, but depending on the price I might recommend that you go with the S4s. From memory I wouldn't say that I would pay double for these than I would the S4s. Again, this is from memory.
Good for bass heavy tracks. Mids and highs are nothing special.
Wouldn't recommend Tours, but have no real experience with them. Would recommend the S4s if the price is right.
I think you might be referring to joker's review? He means flat in terms of soundstage I'm pretty sure. The soundstage is not at all distracting to me.
I'm not saying the mids and highs are bad by any means either. They are quite clear, but they're nothing special, particularly in comparison to some more detail focused IEMs.
As far as something comparable in terms of bass but having more clarity? I wouldn't be able to say, at least in this price range. You might want to look into the JVC FXT90s. A lot of people like them, and they seemed quite good for the brief time that I had them.
Other people seem to like the Yamaha-EPH100s as well. I wouldn't be able to say though; I haven't heard them. People say they are quite good with electronic music.
Monster Turbines are supposed to have great bass also. Again, these I haven't heard, but you can get them refurbished for like 80 bucks.
Sorry I can't offer you any real first hand experience with any of those suggestions...
no problem. If you want, I can sell you my pair. I have oddly shaped ears and ear canals, so unfortunately I can never get these things to be comfortable. I would keep them if I could get them to stay in my ears, but this is a problem that I have with a lot of IEMs haha. I just got them on the 21st so they're in immaculate condition.
Hit me up if you're interested. If not, good luck in your search haha
I listen to a lot of Dubstep like Phaeleh as mentioned above and these really are worth every penny!
- looking for some straight up opinion on the sound of the velodyne vpulse
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 13 seconds ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x,... 2 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E... 4 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 6 minutes ago
- › Denon AHM-M400 6 minutes ago
- › Looking for a good (free) audio software capable of playing hi res... 6 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by De1taE1even
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by De1taE1even
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones by iitime
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by De1taE1even
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2