after spending hours watching videos and going through list after list of headphone reviews and descriptions (I'm sick so I don't really have anything better to do) I've gone from debating between the klispch s4i's and the beats tours to falling in love with the velodyne vpulse. So, I'm looking for some opinion on them. I really want the bass they offer but I want to know how well the mids and highs perform. please only comment if you have had a decent amount of first hand experience with them. thx
- productBeats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productMonster Turbine In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
- productVelodyne vPulsetagged by System, 11/28/12
- productYamaha EPH-M100 High-Performance Earphonestagged by System, 11/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- HELP Head-Fiers!! Please! Last post on 11/18/12 at 12:02am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEMs for Hip-Hop / Rap music? $100 and under. Last post on 9/16/12 at 4:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Rap, Trance, Eurodance, pop, electronic <= ($150-$170) Last post on 8/9/12 at 2:00pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Monster Beats Tour, Monster Turbine, or Klipsch S4?? Last post on 7/17/10 at 7:56am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
I would like to thank Creative Singapore for the loan of Creative Aurvana Live 2 demo sample! http://sg.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-aurvana-live2 Launched in 2013,...
for the price is good but if you want to have that premier sound qualtiy of studio you need a dac of 300 dolllar +
I'm using eartips I found on a pair of Dollar Store earbuds. They look like JVC Spiral dot tips but with a larger dameter opening, more rubbery too. I also tried the CKW1000anv with the JVC's...
About Me I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Since then, it has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. Exploring the...
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
looking for some straight up opinion on the sound of the velodyne vpulse
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Okay so the only other IEM that I have on hand to compare the vPulse's to is the Philips SHE3580. Not sure if you've heard them. I used to have a lot higher end IEMs but I've sold them. Anyway...
To be honest I never really liked the Klipsch S4's. They sounded far too boomy and sibilant to my ears. I had to turn down the volume of anything that I was listening to in order to even have them at an enjoyable level. This was some while ago, back when I was using an iPod touch to listen to, so time and the source I was using might have some influence over how I feel about them.
As far as IEMs go, I use them mostly when I'm out and about. So, I want something quite loud and not-so refined. I'm not looking to critically listen while I'm walking to class or something. Anyway...
I feel like these provide quite a lot of bass, especially in terms of heavy mid-bass tracks prevalent in electronic genres. They can boom if the song is already bass emphasized, and only then do I feel like it's really over bearing. They have excellent sub-bass extension that's high enough in volume that you have almost feel it. The only thing I would be to tone down the mid-bass so it's more in line with the rest of the audio.
The mids feel a bit recessed to me, and that's a real shame. Vocals sound too far away for my liking, especially in comparison to the mid-bass. That's all I have to really say about that.
Highs are...adequate? There's not much sparkle at all to speak of, but the notes are defined enough. Clarity overall is quite good, but you won't find yourself picking out little nuances without consciously doing so. But then again, this IEM isn't trying to be that sort of IEM, you know?
Overall, I would recommend these if you listen to bass heavy music, obviously. Not at all for acoustic/classical. I mean, they're passable, but there's so much better options out there. But then again I doubt that you're really into those genres considering your initial options you listed. It will be excellent for dubstep (and I mean actual dubstep like Burial, Phaeleh, etc), brostep if you're into that sort of thing, hip-hop and trip hop and all other sorts of bass heavy tracks.
As far as recommending them over the Tours or the S4s? Eh I personally wouldn't buy the Tours, but that's personal bias. I haven't had time to adequately listen to them, so I couldn't advise you there. From memory, I would say that these are sonically superior to the Klipsch S4s, but depending on the price I might recommend that you go with the S4s. From memory I wouldn't say that I would pay double for these than I would the S4s. Again, this is from memory.
Good for bass heavy tracks. Mids and highs are nothing special.
Wouldn't recommend Tours, but have no real experience with them. Would recommend the S4s if the price is right.
I think you might be referring to joker's review? He means flat in terms of soundstage I'm pretty sure. The soundstage is not at all distracting to me.
I'm not saying the mids and highs are bad by any means either. They are quite clear, but they're nothing special, particularly in comparison to some more detail focused IEMs.
As far as something comparable in terms of bass but having more clarity? I wouldn't be able to say, at least in this price range. You might want to look into the JVC FXT90s. A lot of people like them, and they seemed quite good for the brief time that I had them.
Other people seem to like the Yamaha-EPH100s as well. I wouldn't be able to say though; I haven't heard them. People say they are quite good with electronic music.
Monster Turbines are supposed to have great bass also. Again, these I haven't heard, but you can get them refurbished for like 80 bucks.
Sorry I can't offer you any real first hand experience with any of those suggestions...
no problem. If you want, I can sell you my pair. I have oddly shaped ears and ear canals, so unfortunately I can never get these things to be comfortable. I would keep them if I could get them to stay in my ears, but this is a problem that I have with a lot of IEMs haha. I just got them on the 21st so they're in immaculate condition.
Hit me up if you're interested. If not, good luck in your search haha
I listen to a lot of Dubstep like Phaeleh as mentioned above and these really are worth every penny!
- looking for some straight up opinion on the sound of the velodyne vpulse
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Amp for AKG k712 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 2 minutes ago
- › First DAC for A-T AD900X 2 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio - An overlooked brand of nice IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › Charles' new Tera announcement 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by earfonia
- › FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by younes berrada
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CKW1000ANV Inner Ear Headphones 50th Anniversary... by kameenadesi
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2