Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › MAXELL new IEM's - MXH-DBA700 (dual hybrid) and MXH-DD600 (dual dynamic) - soon to be released in Japan!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MAXELL new IEM's - MXH-DBA700 (dual hybrid) and MXH-DD600 (dual dynamic) - soon to be released in... - Page 4

post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

Yes, they have a dynamic driver and I think its response will improve with some serious burn-in time... popcorn.gif

 

Hopefully...if I still don't like it after a week or so I might send this around for a loaner tour etysmile.gif

 

But, the FR in the video is quite misleading, from what I am hearing it is not a V or U FR, if anything, it would be a flat FR with slight hump in the middle, and roll of from about 5k or so

post #47 of 58
It's raining hybrids!
Subs.
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvkool View Post

I wasn't going to post a first impression until tomorrow, but ericp10 wanted to read something pronto, so here it is in short...wink_face.gif

 

  • I HATE the cable!!! rubbery flat cable, extremely tangle prone, though microphonics is not too bad at all...
  • No case at all, what!?!?! seriously?!?! $95 IEM does not come with case...dissapointing, in the box there are only the IEM itself + S/M/L silicones

 

OK so sound wise, I am still undecided, have to let it burn in a bit (and I am enjoying my FXZ100 too much to be honest haha) etysmile.gif

  • Bass - quantity roughly equal to most of the single-BA IEM out there, mostly mid-bass with no sub-bass whatsoever, to my ear, the bass is marginally better than XBA-1 and A151 but not as good as UE600
  • Mids - this is a mid-centric IEM, the mid is smooth and forward, to my ear the mid is better than XBA-1, but not as good as FA Tandem
  • Highs - now this is the reason why I am still undecided if I like it or not, the highs are extremely laid-back, and rolled of way early, at this stage, to my ear I'd say the high is lagging behind XBA-1
  • Soundstage - average
  • Isolation - average

 

Comparison to other hybrids - well this is pretty much the second hybrid that I've heard, the other being H-100, which is one of my favourite of all time, so yeah no competition in this case, 

 

Ask me questions...otherwise, I'll let this burn in and I will post further impression after a few days or so...

 

Thank you sir. And I also think the bass will improve with some burn-in, but I appreciate the initial impressions. I also think nothing in universal IEMs under $350 is so far is going to beat the Z100 (or from what I've read Z200) in uniqueness of sound. Now, I'm waiting to hear the V7007 to see what type of challenge it will give the first triple dynamic drivers earphones. Thanks for early impressions again.


Edited by ericp10 - 1/3/13 at 5:24pm
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvkool View Post

I wasn't going to post a first impression until tomorrow, but ericp10 wanted to read something pronto, so here it is in short...wink_face.gif
  • I HATE the cable!!! rubbery flat cable, extremely tangle prone, though microphonics is not too bad at all...
  • No case at all, what!?!?! seriously?!?! $95 IEM does not come with case...dissapointing, in the box there are only the IEM itself + S/M/L silicones

OK so sound wise, I am still undecided, have to let it burn in a bit (and I am enjoying my FXZ100 too much to be honest haha) etysmile.gif
  • Bass - quantity roughly equal to most of the single-BA IEM out there, mostly mid-bass with no sub-bass whatsoever, to my ear, the bass is marginally better than XBA-1 and A151 but not as good as UE600
  • Mids - this is a mid-centric IEM, the mid is smooth and forward, to my ear the mid is better than XBA-1, but not as good as FA Tandem
  • Highs - now this is the reason why I am still undecided if I like it or not, the highs are extremely laid-back, and rolled of way early, at this stage, to my ear I'd say the high is lagging behind XBA-1
  • Soundstage - average
  • Isolation - average

Comparison to other hybrids - well this is pretty much the second hybrid that I've heard, the other being H-100, which is one of my favourite of all time, so yeah no competition in this case, 

Ask me questions...otherwise, I'll let this burn in and I will post further impression after a few days or so...


I thought this might be the case. See, just because there's other Hyrbids coming out (single BA + Dynamic) does not mean they're going to offer similar SQ we enjoy from H-100. By trying DBA700 you will appreciate T-Peos value for money. I just had a feeling these would not cut the mustard, they seem to mainstream / consumer focused that comfortable rolled treble is a give away. Not everything for $120 is going to touch H-100. When I saw you purchased these I thought you may of made a mistake, as I understand you were also thinking about purchasing an amp instead at the time. See if they warm to you though.

Just my /2 cents
Edited by H20Fidelity - 1/3/13 at 3:40pm
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


I thought this might be the case. See, just because there's other Hyrbids coming out (single BA + Dynamic) does not mean they're going to offer similar SQ we enjoy from H-100. By trying DBA700 you will appreciate T-Peos value for money. I just had a feeling these would not cut the mustard, they seem to mainstream / consumer focused that comfortable rolled treble is a give away. Not everything for $120 is going to touch H-100. When I saw you purchased these I thought you may of made a mistake, as I understand you were also thinking about purchasing an amp instead at the time. See if they warm to you though.
Just my /2 cents

 

Haha...yeah I was weak, I was buying the JVC Z100 then I though oh what the hell, I'll put the DBA700 in the cart too...I had high hopes from hybrid because of the H-100 haha...but not all doom and gloom just yet, if DBA700 can improve with burn in, especially the treble, then I would be happy, because the mid is pretty good...

 

I am in the market for an amp, but need to do a bit more research on it, have about $350 to spend and so far I have only ever used Fiio stuff (E10, E11, E17) and PA2V2 - though so far looks like it would be either D12 or O2+ODAC

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

 

Thank you sire. And I also think the bass will improve with some burn-in, but I appreciate the initial impressions. I also think nothing in universal IEMs under $350 is so far is going to beat the Z100 (or from what I've read Z200) in uniqueness of sound. Now, I'm waiting to hear the V7007 to see what type of challenge it will give the first triple dynamic drivers earphones. Thanks for early impressions again.

 

You're welcome - I will definitely give this a week at least burn in to see if the dynamic can improve, I have been trying to find out how they use the drivers and/or how the crossover (if any) works but haven't been able to...

post #51 of 58

What happens to the bass or sub bass if you hold them in to your ears and perfect the fit a bit more?

 

Tried any other tips ( I'm sure you will fill us in if you do )

 

Thanks so much for this initial impression. Going to be interesting after the break in,

 

You never know it may grow on you after using them a bit more.


Edited by nick n - 1/3/13 at 6:21pm
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post

What happens to the bass or sub bass if you hold them in to your ears and perfect the fit a bit more?

 

Tried any other tips ( I'm sure you will fill us in if you do )

 

Thanks so much for this initial impression. Going to be interesting after the break in,

 

You never know it may grow on you after using them a bit more.

 

Hey mate - I haven't done any further testing, I am going to try all of the tips that I have in my collection later on tonight, what I am using for the initial listening was the V-Moda silicone tips, but this one has a medium-ish size bore, the stock tips (all too small for me) have massive bore, so I might just try and use H-100 stock tips and/or UE/Xears silicone, since all of them have big bores.

 

I'll use the different tips and put it through all the music links in the JVC 100/200 thread

 

It might grow on me indeed etysmile.gif at this point in time I would put the signature to be very close to XBA-1 and Feels PRO900...

 

...and yes, I am still a bit upset from the fact that it doesn't come with any case whatsoever haha...

post #53 of 58

My DBA700 is going to H20Fidelity who has kindly agreed to provide his impressions and/or review.

 

It has about 30hrs in it and there are slight changes that my ear can detect, the soundstage widen marginally and the treble comes up slightly.

post #54 of 58
I've had the Maxell Hybrid DBA700 for a few days, I'm still deciding whether or not I like them. My thought's keep drifting along the lines of "safe mainstream signature"


I like the housing design and livable cable which resembles a slightly more flexible version of the unpopular Sony MH1C flat cable, fans of beats tour would be pleased here. I have had problems achieving a seal with the provided stock tips, they're rather thin and would not take hold for me which is unusual. I ended up ruffling through my assortment settling on either T-Peos H-100 stock tips or Vmoda Bliss 3.0 (Large). Comfort wise they're above average however the rather large diameter rear housing feels weighty, they tend to sag resting on my ears, similar to how a Klipsch x10 would sit. The jack, I'm not really a fan of, they have made it a right angle connector but a rather big one which defeats the whole purpose using right angled jacks to minimize size.




As for the sound, I'm really undecided here about what I think, I'm not sure which of you have heard T-Peos B-100, but they sound like a slightly advanced version with a dynamic bass driver added to push a little more punch. DBA700 don't do anything really wrong, what I'd call a 'safe choice', however I can't say they really excel anywhere.

The low ends not one that shows as much punch or sub-bass as I would of liked for a Hyrbid, the entire sig is semi balanced / smoothed over without any edge to it. I'm hearing a slight emphasis on the highs which could be source related. Mids sound rather dry to me like they need some saturation over them, mids are a touch forward which shadows the low end. I'm actually having a tough time finding anything I can really praise these for. Timbre is rather natural and has some depth that draws you in at times so there's no fuss with the tone. They sound a touch warm for my tastes but everything does for some reason.

I think my main fuss is the soundstage, there just isn't much there, rather closed and congested which doesn't allow any air, layering or separation to come through properly. Detailing wise the treble has a touch of sparkle and surely stands out over the rest of the spectrum on certain tracks, which is strange because djvkool said differently. (different sources?) Mids seem limited in detail by the price tag but acceptable. I can't hear any disjointness between the dynamic and BA driver which is pleasing.


Anyway, for me to write a review on something I really must enjoy the piece of gear, that isn't happening here, I'm going to stop before the impression turns into something negative. I was listening the whole time while writing using Colourfly C3 and Hifiman HM-601 unamped. To sum my opinion on DBA700 they really don't do anything wrong, however those familiar with how some IEM's like Rockit R-50 can perform around this price won't find audio nirvana in DBA700, I'd call them a safe choice for your everyday consumer who possibly doesn't know what they're missing. Are they ok for around $100? "kind of" I guess it depends how you look at it. For the average person yes, fine for $100, for someone who knows what $119 can get you with R-50 for example, no DBA700 are not worth it imo. These simply haven't drawn me in enough yet to say I enjoy them.

Enjoyment rating overall 4/10



Edited by H20Fidelity - 1/24/13 at 8:14pm
post #55 of 58

Thanks for the impression mate

post #56 of 58

There is a newer model now . Please check this out!!! the MXH-DBA900 a redesigned model

 

http://www.maxell.co.jp/jpn/news/2013/news131009.html

post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by egosumlux View Post
 

There is a newer model now . Please check this out!!! the MXH-DBA900 a redesigned model

 

http://www.maxell.co.jp/jpn/news/2013/news131009.html

 

Yeah heard about that, but to be honest, I was the guinea pig for DBA700 and I was extremely dissapointed, this time around I will let someone else tries it first :bigsmile_face:

post #58 of 58

I would but being chilean soes not really help!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › MAXELL new IEM's - MXH-DBA700 (dual hybrid) and MXH-DD600 (dual dynamic) - soon to be released in Japan!