I'm hoping you can help me in deciding which pair of headphones would be most suitable for my musical library and needs. Below are the details:
- Will be used about 80% of the time to listen to metal: Agalloch, Dark Empire, Primal Fear, Buckethead (not sure if he fits here) and alternative, progressive and post-rock: Anathema, Leech, Sleep Dealer, Long Distance Calling.
- Will be used about 20% of the time to listen to classical music and some rock (AC/DC, UFO, etc.)
- I would prefer a closed back over-the-ear headphone as a lot of the time I will be listening to music at the office. However, I've been reading that open back headphones offer better sound than closed ones. Not sure if having sound leakage and listening to office background noises is worth the sound difference though. Any thoughts on that area?
- I have recently bought an electric guitar and have started learning to play it, so I'm gonna be needing to connect the headphones to the amplifier for late-night practice sessions as well.
- If my understanding of the terms is correct, I need something natural-sounding with good sound stage and a tight bass (nothing muddy or too bassy). I read many forums and reviews recommending the Grados but it was always mentioned that sound leakage was high.
- I made a shortlist of headphones I liked based on what seemed to be recommended for people with somewhat similar requests and would be interested in having your opinions on them (this is in no way a finalized list so please feel free to recommend other headphones as well): Denon AHD2000, Beyerdynamic T70, AKG K550 (AKG have also newely released the K551. Not sure if anybody can recommend them. Haven't seen much reviews for them)
- Price range is up to $400 but could be stretched a little if needed
I hope this helps and please let me know if any details are missing.
Thank you all in advance.