Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › How much are my Monster Turbines worth?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much are my Monster Turbines worth?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I have a pair of Monster Turbines Pro (Earphones only) IEMs, and I am looking forward to sell them on eBay, but I have no idea how much I should price them because of 1 defect, which is the outer layer of protection that covers the wire inside is cut. And not only is it cut on the outside, also a few of the tiny wires that bind up are cut, about 8-10. But they're not a problem and don't do much because I plug them in and both ear buds work fine.

1000

 

*The cut is located around "5 below the Y-shaped divider.

post #2 of 16

While that may seem pretty minor, I'd call that a significant flaw. Do you still have all of the included accessories and original packaging that came with the IEMs? If so, I'd still value them a good deal lower than the average price of a used pair in good condition. As a result, I doubt that they would fetch a high price. This is, of course, only one man's opinion, though. Good luck on gathering information about this. wink.gif

post #3 of 16
I'd be getting some clear silicon placing a thin layer over the spilt section, very neatly. Then I would list them mentioning the problem that I had corrected to the best of my ability, stating it does not effect the sound in anyway. I would not set a buy it now price, I would auction them expecting about $15 - $20 less then a normal sale. I would not just sell them broken before making some kind of repair.

My 2 cents/
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C.S. View Post

While that may seem pretty minor, I'd call that a significant flaw. Do you still have all of the included accessories and original packaging that came with the IEMs? If so, I'd still value them a good deal lower than the average price of a used pair in good condition. As a result, I doubt that they would fetch a high price. This is, of course, only one man's opinion, though. Good luck on gathering information about this. wink.gif

 

 

Thanks, and yeah I do have the original packaging and all that. Everything is there the day I bought it. Except for that tiny, but substantial cut.


Edited by soxorz - 11/20/12 at 8:30pm
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I'd be getting some clear silicon placing a thin layer over the spilt section, very neatly. Then I would list them mentioning the problem that I had corrected to the best of my ability, stating it does not effect the sound in anyway. I would not set a buy it now price, I would auction them expecting about $15 - $20 less then a normal sale. I would not just sell them broken before making some kind of repair.
My 2 cents/


Any ideas where I could find some silicon placing, and maybe a tutorial online? Everything else makes sense though, thanks.

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxorz View Post


Any ideas where I could find some silicon placing, and maybe a tutorial online? Everything else makes sense though, thanks.

Something like this, then simply use your finger and very lightly run a thin layer around the broken section of the cable a touch longer either side of the spilt

So your spilt cable section is this long.

...................lllllllll................
...............llllllllllllllllllllll...........

Cover with silicon past the spilt as shown above. (Spilt top) (Silicon bottom)

Be sure to let it dry for about 24 hours, it will dry clear and be very rubbery.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WHITE-CLEAR-Waterproof-SILICONE-SEALANT-70g-Small-Jobs-Window-Sink-Bath-Shower-/290680625255?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&var&hash=item43adea5867&_uhb=1

keep the amount of silicon use to a minumum, the less you use the better, just enough to cover the spilt a little either end
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/20/12 at 8:42pm
post #7 of 16

If its below the Y-split, I would suggest using heat shrink tubing instead. From experience silicone can be quite messy to work with and anything less than a professional looking job will lower the resale value even further. That said, if the OP still wishes to use silicone sealant be sure to use masking tape to cover the area above and below the area you're working on to prevent unwanted smearing on the cable.


Edited by 5370H55V - 11/20/12 at 8:53pm
post #8 of 16

I would prefer a tiny bit of heatshrink applied to the wire; and if they're Gold, I would say around $125, and if Copper, around $90.
 

post #9 of 16
Heat shrink could be an option, actually probably better then my suggestion. It's just over time it's not going to stay put and will eventually slide up and down the cable.

Maybe a bit of both? wet silicon then apply the heat shrink. ......
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/20/12 at 9:05pm
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstige View Post

I would prefer a tiny bit of heatshrink applied to the wire; and if they're Gold, I would say around $125, and if Copper, around $90.
 


Neither, it's this model: http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/monster-turbine/4505-7877_7-33490631.html

post #11 of 16

...then ducktape it for a strong finish.tongue_smile.gif

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

...then ducktape it for a strong finish.tongue_smile.gif

Get the welder out, run a few brazes over the top. tongue_smile.gif
post #13 of 16

I have a pair of original monster turbines with the wire broken at the plug strain relief... are you saying people actually would want to buy this stuff (even if assuming I repair it) ?

post #14 of 16

fitty sent

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxorz View Post


Neither, it's this model: http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/monster-turbine/4505-7877_7-33490631.html

 

That's not the pro, then. I would say about $30.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

Heat shrink could be an option, actually probably better then my suggestion. It's just over time it's not going to stay put and will eventually slide up and down the cable.
Maybe a bit of both? wet silicon then apply the heat shrink. ......

 

There is heat shrink that has adhesive built into it, and glues itself into place.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › How much are my Monster Turbines worth?