I feel like everyone beats on Grado's looks. Anybody out there other than me think they're some of the coolest looking headphones ever?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Grado Sr325is vs RS2i vs PS500 Last post on 12/15/13 at 6:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Grado Headphone..? Last post on 9/23/13 at 5:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheap Grado? Last post on 8/4/10 at 1:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New Grado Labs e-series miracle Last post on 1/21/15 at 6:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Not as stylish as an A&K but very well built, apart from the flimsy wheel. Good materials and nice finishes and overall intiutive U.I. give a quite nice experience. First of, some APE and DSD...
I will mainly be comparing to A65. Build of these is excellent, but not quite as nice as A65 due to the half plastic housing. It is of very high quality though, it shouldn't affect...
Just a short review, as there is really not a lot to say, which is a good thing, nothing to complain about with these. Build is excellent, they feel supremely solid, I mean even 1k+ iems don't...
INTRODUCTION The Encore RockMaster IE is a new crowd-funded IEM from SonicUnity, and new audio company formed by Rick Hopkins. Rick's a music industry veteran who's helped with concert design for...
I'll do my best to keep this review nice and short, and hit all the key points. Sections: -Overview about myself (to give background on music preferences, previously owned IEMs,...
Anybody else think Grado headphones look BOSS?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Oh man those are beautiful.
They're just so classy and elegant..
To get a bit off topic, whats the deal with Alessandro and Grado anyway? The Alessandro Ms1's and Grado Sr 80i's are the same right? So why do 2 different companies produce the same product?
I do, always have. Don't think SR series or <PS500 quite capture what RS series possess, but come close enough. More is less, keep it simple yadayada etc.
EDIT: Less is more maybe.. but hey works that way around aswell!
Edited by keppa - 11/20/12 at 5:40am
Grado's are one of the best examples of form following function. Very minimalistic design in both regards.
A few simple material choices later, and they produce really good looking cans.
The custom Grados, with the Magnum v.4 drivers are about the best one can get for the amount of money paid. Custom wooden cups provide an excellent upgrade to the visual appearance as well as provide an improvement in sound quality. Plus, one can buy a nice leather headband that is better than the original leather headbands from Grado that they supply on their higher end 'phones. If comfort is an issue, there are many pad choices to include the Sennheiser pads, with the quarter mod performed. The yellow pads can be dyed any color desired, or you can find them on eBay already died and modified.
Grados have that retro thing going on, that I really enjoy. They have that raw sound that most people love because it reminds them of their first concert. Raw, tons of feedback humming, loud, piercing, but still articulate. Grado does it.
I just wish they were not virtually all on-ear, and I wish the g-cush pads didn't essentially wreck the sound while making them comfortable (even with equalization, it's still just not the same). If Grado would produce an over-hear headphone in the prestige series line, ie, affordable, instead of all on-ear, I would be an instant customer yet again. And they definitely need to bring back gold/brass. Too much silver and black. Give us some warm metals!
No pain, no gain
Put KSC75-like pads underneath your bowls, you will never feel them again.
I used to use bowls all the time, but I just (today) converted myself entirely to TTVJ flat pads for good, since I realized I loved their sound the most... but I'll need to get use to their lower comfort level. In the past, I hated it them because in the long run they would become awfully irritating and almost painful.
So I will have to fight that monster when it'll come to attack me.
The look of the prestige (which you can still buy new in the form of a Alessandro MS-1, non "i") with flat pads on it, for me, is the best carrier of that petroleum colored, dirty simple, vintage looking, function-oriented headphone design.
And special mention to that Grado headphone after which all of those who followed were designed and to the Vintage RS-1 which looks immensely good in my opinion, but since these aren't around anymore... this line shall be in a smaller font!
Edited by devouringone3 - 11/20/12 at 5:45pm
Hard to do without changing or ruining the sound completely.
- Anybody else think Grado headphones look BOSS?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Finally NEW headphone from Beyerdynamic!!! DT-1770 36 seconds ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 43 seconds ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 1 minute ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 2 minutes ago
- › Recommendations for moving from AKG K501's to Closed back cans 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Official NYC area / Regional Fall meet, November 14th, 2015 -... 4 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by flognarde
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › Encore RockMaster IE by nmatheis
- › Noble 3 by WhatToChoose
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by dazzerfong
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by hakushondaimao
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by goodyfresh
- › Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Portable NFC Bluetooth Speaker with... by lin0003
- › Encore RockMaster OE by Armaegis
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2