I feel like everyone beats on Grado's looks. Anybody out there other than me think they're some of the coolest looking headphones ever?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Grado Sr325is vs RS2i vs PS500 Last post on 12/15/13 at 6:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Grado Headphone..? Last post on 9/23/13 at 5:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheap Grado? Last post on 8/4/10 at 1:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How bright are Grados? Last post on 9/23/14 at 7:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Why everyone should have a Grado as their 2nd headphone. Last post on 3/31/13 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
I only read about them. I never tried them on. I never heard them. That's not something one normally does when parting with several hundred dollars or more for headphones. But, what I had read...
Want to preface this by presenting this picture, I'm not a TROLL or a A-Hole, I just like to mock the fu** out of headphones I dislike. This time its time for the "Fehlerhaft...
So I have essentially re-p[purchased a pair of K702s, in as much as I previously owned and sold a pair of K701s I had got rid of the K701s because I just wasn't using them much, due to the fact...
In two words, hugely disappointing. I was looking for an open-back 'phone to use as an alternative to my AKG 550s and having owned Sennheiser HD 600s and AKG K701s previously, I thought I give...
Thinksound is a company that’s focussed on sustainable and environmentally conscious headphones. In fact, they even offer a recycling program for headphones with a bonus if you recycle their...
- Grado Modification Overview
Anybody else think Grado headphones look BOSS?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Oh man those are beautiful.
They're just so classy and elegant..
To get a bit off topic, whats the deal with Alessandro and Grado anyway? The Alessandro Ms1's and Grado Sr 80i's are the same right? So why do 2 different companies produce the same product?
I do, always have. Don't think SR series or <PS500 quite capture what RS series possess, but come close enough. More is less, keep it simple yadayada etc.
EDIT: Less is more maybe.. but hey works that way around aswell!
Edited by keppa - 11/20/12 at 5:40am
Grado's are one of the best examples of form following function. Very minimalistic design in both regards.
A few simple material choices later, and they produce really good looking cans.
The custom Grados, with the Magnum v.4 drivers are about the best one can get for the amount of money paid. Custom wooden cups provide an excellent upgrade to the visual appearance as well as provide an improvement in sound quality. Plus, one can buy a nice leather headband that is better than the original leather headbands from Grado that they supply on their higher end 'phones. If comfort is an issue, there are many pad choices to include the Sennheiser pads, with the quarter mod performed. The yellow pads can be dyed any color desired, or you can find them on eBay already died and modified.
Grados have that retro thing going on, that I really enjoy. They have that raw sound that most people love because it reminds them of their first concert. Raw, tons of feedback humming, loud, piercing, but still articulate. Grado does it.
I just wish they were not virtually all on-ear, and I wish the g-cush pads didn't essentially wreck the sound while making them comfortable (even with equalization, it's still just not the same). If Grado would produce an over-hear headphone in the prestige series line, ie, affordable, instead of all on-ear, I would be an instant customer yet again. And they definitely need to bring back gold/brass. Too much silver and black. Give us some warm metals!
No pain, no gain
Put KSC75-like pads underneath your bowls, you will never feel them again.
I used to use bowls all the time, but I just (today) converted myself entirely to TTVJ flat pads for good, since I realized I loved their sound the most... but I'll need to get use to their lower comfort level. In the past, I hated it them because in the long run they would become awfully irritating and almost painful.
So I will have to fight that monster when it'll come to attack me.
The look of the prestige (which you can still buy new in the form of a Alessandro MS-1, non "i") with flat pads on it, for me, is the best carrier of that petroleum colored, dirty simple, vintage looking, function-oriented headphone design.
And special mention to that Grado headphone after which all of those who followed were designed and to the Vintage RS-1 which looks immensely good in my opinion, but since these aren't around anymore... this line shall be in a smaller font!
Edited by devouringone3 - 11/20/12 at 5:45pm
Hard to do without changing or ruining the sound completely.
- Anybody else think Grado headphones look BOSS?
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › URGENT| ~Need amp or dac/amp for my HD700. 1 minute ago
- › [SG] You're Invited to experience the Sound Blaster X7. Win... 2 minutes ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 3 minutes ago
- › [Not-So-Poor Man Reviews] Final Audio Design's Lab I (1500 Dollar... 4 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Asgard 2 vs Valhalla 2 for the HD650s? 5 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 8 minutes ago
- › SPL Phonitor 9 minutes ago
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MrTechAgent
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by twelvebears
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Loquah
- › Brainwavz AP001 Portable Headphone Amplifier by earfonia
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by CasperBxl
- › DITA Audio The Answer by twister6
- › Questyle CMA800i - integrated DAC, headphone amp, and preamp by project86
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)