I feel like everyone beats on Grado's looks. Anybody out there other than me think they're some of the coolest looking headphones ever?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Grado Sr325is vs RS2i vs PS500 Last post on 12/15/13 at 6:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Grado Headphone..? Last post on 9/23/13 at 5:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Cheap Grado? Last post on 8/4/10 at 1:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How bright are Grados? Last post on 9/23/14 at 7:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Why everyone should have a Grado as their 2nd headphone. Last post on 3/31/13 at 8:00am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
First, I’d like to thank Audrey and the folks at Brainwavz for providing me a sample of the S0 for review. This is only the second Brainwavz earphone I’ve had the pleasure to audition, the...
Introduction So here's my contribution to the growing collection of reviews on Rock Jaw's Alfa Genus. For those of you interested in purchasing a pair, hopefully this is a useful addition; for...
OK, before I get into my review of the MDR-Z7 I feel a need to give some background and history of my time on head-fi. It might help make sense of my love of this headphone and why at the same...
Thanks to Brainwavz for this review set of pleather and velour replacement pads. I bought a pair of the pleather models a year or so ago in an effort to make my wife's JVC S400's more comfortable...
To give you an idea of where I'm coming from I have owned JH audio JH5 IEMs, Fostex T50rps, and Audio Technica ATH-M50x's. My Fostex T50rps were issued to me at audio engineering school and were...
- Grado Modification Overview
Anybody else think Grado headphones look BOSS?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Oh man those are beautiful.
They're just so classy and elegant..
To get a bit off topic, whats the deal with Alessandro and Grado anyway? The Alessandro Ms1's and Grado Sr 80i's are the same right? So why do 2 different companies produce the same product?
I do, always have. Don't think SR series or <PS500 quite capture what RS series possess, but come close enough. More is less, keep it simple yadayada etc.
EDIT: Less is more maybe.. but hey works that way around aswell!
Edited by keppa - 11/20/12 at 5:40am
Grado's are one of the best examples of form following function. Very minimalistic design in both regards.
A few simple material choices later, and they produce really good looking cans.
The custom Grados, with the Magnum v.4 drivers are about the best one can get for the amount of money paid. Custom wooden cups provide an excellent upgrade to the visual appearance as well as provide an improvement in sound quality. Plus, one can buy a nice leather headband that is better than the original leather headbands from Grado that they supply on their higher end 'phones. If comfort is an issue, there are many pad choices to include the Sennheiser pads, with the quarter mod performed. The yellow pads can be dyed any color desired, or you can find them on eBay already died and modified.
Grados have that retro thing going on, that I really enjoy. They have that raw sound that most people love because it reminds them of their first concert. Raw, tons of feedback humming, loud, piercing, but still articulate. Grado does it.
I just wish they were not virtually all on-ear, and I wish the g-cush pads didn't essentially wreck the sound while making them comfortable (even with equalization, it's still just not the same). If Grado would produce an over-hear headphone in the prestige series line, ie, affordable, instead of all on-ear, I would be an instant customer yet again. And they definitely need to bring back gold/brass. Too much silver and black. Give us some warm metals!
No pain, no gain
Put KSC75-like pads underneath your bowls, you will never feel them again.
I used to use bowls all the time, but I just (today) converted myself entirely to TTVJ flat pads for good, since I realized I loved their sound the most... but I'll need to get use to their lower comfort level. In the past, I hated it them because in the long run they would become awfully irritating and almost painful.
So I will have to fight that monster when it'll come to attack me.
The look of the prestige (which you can still buy new in the form of a Alessandro MS-1, non "i") with flat pads on it, for me, is the best carrier of that petroleum colored, dirty simple, vintage looking, function-oriented headphone design.
And special mention to that Grado headphone after which all of those who followed were designed and to the Vintage RS-1 which looks immensely good in my opinion, but since these aren't around anymore... this line shall be in a smaller font!
Edited by devouringone3 - 11/20/12 at 5:45pm
Hard to do without changing or ruining the sound completely.
- Anybody else think Grado headphones look BOSS?
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 20 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster® X7 Named as a Double 2015 CES Innovation... 22 seconds ago
- › [SG] You're Invited to experience the Sound Blaster X7. Win... 44 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 1 minute ago
- › Pioneer U-05 USB DAC/amp with dual ES9016 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1 firmware version 1.10 download and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 3 minutes ago
- › Sound Blaster is now on Head-Fi! 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by shockdoc
- › Shure SRH840 by justyourboy
- › CAD MH310 ( Superlux HD662 ) by p13rrot
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by twister6
- › Meridian Explorer by dnun8086
- › Audio Technica ATH-WS55i Portable Headphones with Microphone for... by oThatsEric
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Kamakahah
- › Advices for catching the right home loan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3