Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › iPod dock vs. Center Channel Speaker
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPod dock vs. Center Channel Speaker

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I'll start off by saying I have no experience with audio equipment. I'm looking to spend under $200. 

 

Is it reasonable to buy a center channel speaker to use with an iPod? How would they be connected? 

 

Or what might be a better question: what is the best setup for an iPod speaker under $200?

 

I'm sure you get these kind of beginner questions all the time, so any help is appreciated. 

post #2 of 9
An iPod is stereo
A center channel speaker is mono
the iPod needs a powered stereo speaker
a center channel is not powered.

You are probably better off getting one of those iPod docks with built in speakers and a built in amp.
Bose tends to get a lot of advertising but is rather overpriced. Avoid Bose.
Edited by Chris J - 11/20/12 at 4:52am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatos View Post
Or what might be a better question: what is the best setup for an iPod speaker under $200?

 

 

Amp : $34

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-380

 

Speaker : $29

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-652

 

Cables : around $20?

 

---

 

Also, a dock to keep the iPod upright, and it usually comes with a 3.5mm lineout port  to send a signal to the amp.

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

An iPod is stereo
A center channel speaker is mono
the iPod needs a powered stereo speaker
a center channel is not powered.
You are probably better off getting one of those iPod docks with built in speakers and a built in amp.
Bose tends to get a lot of advertising but is rather overpriced. Avoid Bose.

+1. I also hate horizontal speakers in general. But that's a rant for another time. The simple answer is that you cannot just buy a "center channel speaker" and hook it up to your iPod.

Regarding Bose specifically - their dock thingamajig (OT: my spell-checker actually let this one past) was mentioned a while ago, apparently pretty bass happy and *very* expensive (I think they want something like $600 for that gadget).

I know Yamaha has some neat looking (as in, I get their mailer, and can go "ooo pretty!" at the pictures) dock devices out, and there's probably a plethora of other options for every budget. Like this gadget: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-systems/mcr-040__u/?mode=model (I think they come in every color the iPod comes in, at least that's what I would assume from the pictures).
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the answers. I feel really stupid asking about the center speaker now biggrin.gif

 

Sorry to bother you guys with this kind of simple question. I have been searching all over the internet, but I don't know all the terms, so it's generally hard for me to understand the results that I find.  

 

Will any iPod dock under $200 provide respectable sound? 

post #6 of 9
Onkyo SBX-300 sounds reasonably nice and can be found rather cheaply at the moment.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 

The Onkyo seems to boast of the SBX-300's bass capabilities, while they boast more of a precision sound on the identically priced ABX-100. As a fan of classical music and classic rock, do you think I would be better advised to go for the ABX? 

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatos View Post

The Onkyo seems to boast of the SBX-300's bass capabilities, while they boast more of a precision sound on the identically priced ABX-100. As a fan of classical music and classic rock, do you think I would be better advised to go for the ABX? 

 

Could be. I haven't heard that model. But the SBX-300 does have somewhat boosted bass (even with the extra boost turned off, it's still north of neutral) so maybe the ABX is a good way to go. 

 

Amazon sells it so if you try it and absolutely hate it, you could always send it back. 

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks so much everyone, I think I'll go with the ABX. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › iPod dock vs. Center Channel Speaker