Hi all, I've just gifted my dear X10's to my GF, and tought I could live without them but, alas! I can not
I really love the awesome bass, precision and warmth of the X10's, and would just get another pair but I want to try out something different.
So, budget is around $100 - $150, don't really want to stretch it any further. Will be amping them with Fiio E17 out of an iPhone 4 via LOD.
What I'm looking for:
* Has to have good bass quantity and quality. Sub-bass extension is important.
* Has to have equal or better instrumental separation and soundstaging than the X10's.
* Would preffer if it had better highs than the X10's (quantity + detail).
* Has to have no sibilance or stridence, as they are for prolonged use (non-fatiguing).
* Preferably elegant and / or discrete design (they're mainly for office use).
I could compromise:
* Good isolation is desirable, but not that important (as long as it is not open design).
* Durability is desirable but not that important (can't think of anything weaker than the X10's haha).
* Don't care if it's BA or dynamic.
* Don't care about maximum SPL.
Will be listening to:
* Mostly EDM and pop, but I'm an eclectic listener so they have to be fairly good all rounders.
Current contenders are:
* Yamaha EPH-100 - Love the looks, instrument separation worries me, also the non-existence of replacement tips.
* Hifiman RE 262 - Bass worries me.
* Phonak Audeo PFE - Also, bass worries me.
* UE TripleFi 10 - A bit over budget, bass worries me, don't like how they look.
I'm currently inclined towards the Hifiman and, of course, any suggestion is gladly welcome!! I know some of the above have higher MSRP, but I've found street price is much lower.
Edited by Elektrospeed - 11/18/12 at 10:45pm