- 1,471 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Location: Cornwall and Devon UK
- Select All Posts By This User
- productALO Audio Rx Mk3 Balanced Headphone Amptagged by System, 11/30/12
- productALO Audio The Continental V2 Mobile Vacuum Tube Amplifiertagged by System, 11/30/12
- productALO Audio The Pan Amtagged by System, 11/30/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 11/30/12
- productGraham Slee Voyagertagged by System, 11/30/12
- productHeadAmp pico USB DAC/Amptagged by System, 11/30/12
- productiBasso D7tagged by System, 11/30/12
- productLeckerton Audio UHA-6S MKIItagged by System, 11/30/12
- productRay Samuels Audio Emmeline SR-71B Balanced Amptagged by System, 11/30/12
- productRay Samuels Emmeline "The Black Bird" SR-71A Portable Headphone Amptagged by System, 11/30/12More
- productRay Samuels The Intrudertagged by System, 11/30/12
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by System, 11/30/12
- productVorzuge VorzAMPduotagged by System, 11/30/12
- productVorzuge VorzAMPpuretagged by System, 11/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Searching for a High-End Portable amp for my customs Last post on 8/1/12 at 8:03am in Portable Headphone Amps
- ALO Rx Mk3 versus Blackbird 71b amps Last post on 7/3/12 at 6:41am in Portable Headphone Amps
- A Rig to take Round The World.....what would it include and why? Last post on 3/20/13 at 10:14am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- High end battery operated portable 24/192 USB DAC/Amp Last post on 10/23/13 at 3:19pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2
Best choice for portable Amp for LCD-2s?? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
so i have a Single Power MPX 3 amp and the LCD2s sound amazing. but I have a a cheap ibasso d7 amp i got 4 months ago. before upgraditis hit. I went and impulsively bought a Schiit Gungnir, because I heard it's a really good dac for its price.
ALO Audio Pan Am + Passport (if you consider it portable).
Otherwise Vorzüge VorzAMPduo or VorzAMPpure. The Duo has a 2-way EQ of which you can only use the treble with LCD-2's. Doesn't have the steam to use the extremely overshooting bass-EQ.
Wow! A lot has been posted since I last checked.
I will start comparing these as well
What is everyones/anyones take on the O2 in comparison to any of these mentioned above? I know that the O2 has been infamous for beating most anything under $500 But its just a little too big to fit in a pocket. unless I suppose i make my own case to cut down on size but even then... I think with the DAC added to it it still might be bulky.
Any food for thought? like best value for price and still very compact?
This is just for on the go mostly although I am not opposed to spending the money if it comes down to having to do that so I can reduce the size of my future AMP that will do only what it needs (power the LCD-2s and maintain favorable sound quality) this is after all not going to be my only AMP for my LCD-2s..
Continental V2 + LCD2, Pretty good, very good synergy but can't really open them up as compare to desktop amps.
Uha-6s MKII(a great amp that is cheap and with USB dac)+ LCD2, Terrible synergy, sounds worse than iPod directly.
You might not think that will get you high end audio but consider what they are designed for: listening to music indoors which is a quiet environment.
They leak sound hugely. Plus they let in sounds. Traffic noise is unlikely to put a smile on your face through these. And what if you get a freak downpour of rain? There's no protection.
You have to consider that at least some form of isolation will bring you into the music and away from the hustle and bustle on the move. If I'm walking in the countryside and the forecast looks good a pair of denon ahd2000's is a better by far deal than the audezes. They're closed but still leak but let in and are less leaky by a huge margin.
If I'm in the city then inner ears are the way to go. The westones are of the comply foam type. My um2s are total isolation. You hear no traffic noise. No matter what volume no one can hear your music. The um2s lack details and depth and are rolled off in the treble compared with my klipsch x10is. But in the sound stakes they beat the lcd2's in traffic for those reasons.
You're needing 2 sets of equipment ultimately. 1 at home set, the choicss are endless. 1 on the move set, the phones need to be isolating for you to derive the greatest pleasure from them. They can then fit in your hand luggage or your pocket for the bus and they wont attract any glares wh8ch would be sure to spoil your experience too.
Hope this helps
i heard the maker of thunderpants bailed out on people and i dont know if you can still get a brand new thunderpants now. besides, i also read that people think mad dogs and paradox are superior mods than the thunderpants... i own none of these, i just read about them... i do however have the stock fostex t50rp and i dont like it very much...
So I have had the LCD-2s for a few days now and i have to say a lot of things people have been spewing at me about how i can get cans with very similar audio graphs for way less and LCD-2s are riding on quite a bit of bloat and bla bla bla, I realized that you can only go so far based on graphs... so far all the so called competitors on a budget I have compared side by side and what I got out of it was that you cant go your whole life thinking you can have it all figured out by data and graphs. The LCD-2s are worth every penny. There are too many variables to consider like how the cans sit on your head and suit your needs as far as grasp and weight and other things, Plllllluuuuss, the fact that every LCD-2 can come a bit different from its siblings, kind of like twins looking the same... but kinda different.... you know what I mean
unless you bite the bullet and actually have them to compare do'nt ever dare tell people they are wasting their money because you really have to try it before you judge it. Right?? makes sense
My graph has a little more sparkle, (I think) than the usual pair of LCD-2s from that I have seen. The highs are completely present thus less "dark" of a sound. I could not have hoped for a better result from these headphones! Next stop. AMP!
It's surprising how little of a frequency loss there is when not using an AMP mostly you lose power is all and even then its loud enough to block most outside sound, which by the way, reminds me that saying that the LCD-2s are not for mobile use bla bla bla, every sound in the world will ruin my music experience bla bla bla, YOU HAVE NOT OWNED A PAIR OF THESE OBVIOUSLY! lol
As far as them being opene backed, they dont leak nearly as much noise as quincey jones's or dt880's and especially not NEARLY as much as he-400/h-6's, again thanks for the misleading speculation people lol.
But I know that all you were all doing is trying to help that is so thank you for all the juicy topic discussion!
I'm gonna be calling AUDEZ'E again and be asking about these porto AMPs and see what one they recommend.
- Best choice for portable Amp for LCD-2s??
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 15 seconds ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 44 seconds ago
- › i-Fi SPDIF iPurifier impressions 1 minute ago
- › Reply to get FiiO's New In-Ear Monitors F1 for Free 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear + 3 cables. Price is net. 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 5 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 5 minutes ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear