Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-500 or Sennheiser HD 650
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-500 or Sennheiser HD 650 - Page 2

post #16 of 127

^But in continuation to what I was saying earlier - a combo made by companies collaborating would be quite interesting in the future..

 

So O.P. - have you made you decision? Seems the HE-500 has the majority of votes for now..

post #17 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper View Post

OK best of the best are HE-500 for me music ? if yes, recomend me amp ? i am looking for amp, 700$ max budget. What about La-Figaro 339 with HE-500, maybe somethink have better deal for 700$ for amp ? 

There's 2 roads you can take here; go the speaker amp route as has been posted above with the links preproman kindly added. Or you can get a good headphone amp for that money. Bear in mind that the HE500's are'nt like the previous hifimans and they don't need loads of power, but some on here have had very positive things to say about using speaker amps. Do you have a good dac? if not then I'd say that is as important when using high end headphones like the HE500's. Have a look at Audio gd, they have some great amps and amp/dac combo's that can easily power them.  I use two regular headphone amps, one more powerful than the other, but in all honesty theres not much difference in regards to dynamics and authority, only different colorations because of opamps etc. This tells me that they don't actually need lots of power. Only quality.

post #18 of 127
Thread Starter 

i need best sounding for 700$, i think speakers amp is not so good for headphones. tell pros with speaker amp betwen headphone amp ?

post #19 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper View Post

i need best sounding for 700$, i think speakers amp is not so good for headphones. tell pros with speaker amp betwen headphone amp ?

If the headphones are demanding enough, a "speaker" amp would provide plenty of dynamic power and headroom, more than you would ever need. However, it seems that the HE-500's don't need tons of power, so a regular, good quality headphone amp should do fine.
post #20 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper View Post

i need best sounding for 700$, i think speakers amp is not so good for headphones. tell pros with speaker amp betwen headphone amp ?

I would never spend that much on an amp, unless I need one for an electrostatic can. 

post #21 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post

I would never spend that much on an amp, unless I need one for an electrostatic can. 

Tell me why you no spend much on an amp ?

post #22 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper View Post

Tell me why you no spend much on an amp ?

Having auditioned many amps in the $500+ range, in a double blind test with properly matched volumes, I could not distinguish any of them. Even with tube amps, the differences were quite subtle, though obviously more noticeable. This isn't to say something like a HD650 doesn't need an amp but rather even less pricier amps with basic designs can do the job. Granted I've never tried a speaker amp. I think you'll only get your money's worth by investing that $700 into another pair of nice headphones. Investing into amps/ dacs just seem to be spending money purely for the placebo effect. 

post #23 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post

Having auditioned many amps in the $500+ range, in a double blind test with properly matched volumes, I could not distinguish any of them. Even with tube amps, the differences were quite subtle, though obviously more noticeable. This isn't to say something like a HD650 doesn't need an amp but rather even less pricier amps with basic designs can do the job. Granted I've never tried a speaker amp. I think you'll only get your money's worth by investing that $700 into another pair of nice headphones. Investing into amps/ dacs just seem to be spending money purely for the placebo effect. 

 

Weird, I think the complete opposite... Take the Lyr and Mjolnir for example... I just don't care how much the Mjolnir costs, it just sounds that much better to me on the LCD-2 for me...

post #24 of 127

Yeah there is defo a quality factor involved with amps. I've bought many mid price headphone amps over the years and they all sounded different. There's quite a difference from simpler cmoy designs to mosfet, opamp, pure class A and tube based designs. It's a very important part of the chain and is never just a tool to add volume.

Anyways, for the op. If you are to go with the HE500's and already have a good dac then a quality headphone amp is what I would recommend. And I'd personally love to own a Mjolnir!

 

I use the Audio gd C2.2 with upgraded opamps and it is a bargain. It powers them perfectly well with an airy soundstage and plenty of authority.

post #25 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Yeah there is defo a quality factor involved with amps. I've bought many mid price headphone amps over the years and they all sounded different. There's quite a difference from simpler cmoy designs to mosfet, opamp, pure class A and tube based designs. It's a very important part of the chain and is never just a tool to add volume.
Anyways, for the op. If you are to go with the HE500's and already have a good dac then a quality headphone amp is what I would recommend. And I'd personally love to own a Mjolnir!

I use the Audio gd C2.2 with upgraded opamps and it is a bargain. It powers them perfectly well with an airy soundstage and plenty of authority.

+1.. I agee..I heared quite a few amps also..and since recently i owe a darkvoice 337.. And only now i have a feeling my he500 is showing how beautiful it can sound..i heard the lyr and some audio gd and musical fidelity amps on a meet..and all sounded different..but for my taste..the darkvoice 337 sounded best..for my ears anyway....maybe with lower end grade phones u wont hear lots of differences..but if u start with a he500 or better..u will hear differences..and its no placebo effect. As if that was the case all people on the meet i attended had mass placebo effect..one was even a physics professor...and he believed u have to see changes in graphs..and even he heard differences..was fun to discuss the question..subjective-objective listening..very smart man! But both respecfull for both our believes..as i do now..if u believe amps/headphone cables/adaptercables/signalcables or powercables wont make a change i respect that....as we are all music lovers here..family!
Ps..i didnt hear the mjolnir or the yulong a18 sabre yet..but from what i read..one of those would be only amps i wanna try to upgrade from my 337..
post #26 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

I know both headphones well, and for the genre of music you like, I'd go for the HE500's. They really do electronic music very well, this for me includes pop. The 650's are good but don't do anything better than the hifimans apart from maybe a slightly larger soundstage and comfort. But for imaging, space, bass slam, detail and above all- "fun" the HE500's win. If your music was more acoustic based i.e Classical/Jazz then it would have been closer, but for electronic its a no contest IMO.  


When you talk about electronic music, are you talking about an emphasis on bass and clear mids?? I don't listen to pop but mostly trance/house. So basically I'm looking for a very deep bas but the rest of mid and trebles should be flat, else it would become uncomfortable due to the high pitch computer generated sounds. A little confused here ...


Edited by musiclife - 1/14/13 at 9:20am
post #27 of 127
Thread Starter 

up :) !!!

post #28 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclife View Post


When you talk about electronic music, are you talking about an emphasis on bass and clear mids??? I don't listen to pop but mostly trance/house. So basically I'm looking for a very deep bas but the rest of mid and trebles should be flat, else it would become uncomfortable due to the high pitch computer generated sounds. A little confused here ...

If thats what you are wanting in a headphone, I would defo recommend the LCD2 :)

 

But in respect to both 650/he500, they are both pretty balanced in regards to bass/treble emphasis only the latter is better at both. More quality bass and  extension than the 650's. The mids of the HE500's are very special indeed and very clear. There is a nice "zing" to the treble but never harsh or annoying and adds a welcome balance to the deep bass. I don't like peaky treble and I'm fine with the HE500's.

post #29 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


+1.. I agee..I heared quite a few amps also..and since recently i owe a darkvoice 337.. And only now i have a feeling my he500 is showing how beautiful it can sound..i heard the lyr and some audio gd and musical fidelity amps on a meet..and all sounded different..but for my taste..the darkvoice 337 sounded best..for my ears anyway....maybe with lower end grade phones u wont hear lots of differences..but if u start with a he500 or better..u will hear differences..and its no placebo effect. As if that was the case all people on the meet i attended had mass placebo effect..one was even a physics professor...and he believed u have to see changes in graphs..and even he heard differences..was fun to discuss the question..subjective-objective listening..very smart man! But both respecfull for both our believes..as i do now..if u believe amps/headphone cables/adaptercables/signalcables or powercables wont make a change i respect that....as we are all music lovers here..family!
Ps..i didnt hear the mjolnir or the yulong a18 sabre yet..but from what i read..one of those would be only amps i wanna try to upgrade from my 337..

You've got me interested in the DV337 now!

post #30 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

You've got me interested in the DV337 now!
To be honest..a guy on the headfi meet last sunday..said literarely on his meet review that he got so emotional while listening through my 337 and my he500(see my pics) he almost cried while listening to queen! And he is not a rookie in headfi land.. Many people got their hd650, he6, lcd2's and he500's and even grados to listen to my 337..as they found other even much more more expensive amps ( of the likes of musical fidelity, audio gd and more) didnt sounded as well as they hoped..and wanted to compare .but liked the337 sound..but ALL said a weird thing..my 337 didnt sound like an OTL amp at all!.it was more like a mighty solid state amp with big soundstage, natural sound and velvetly voices and good articulated bass..

But there were tube lovers..having woo audio amps (wa6 and wa2) and they said they didnt like the sound..AS IT DIDNT sound like a tube amp...lolz..soooo..i was happy..for now ...have a pair of bendix 6080wb and a pair of tung sol 5998 powertubes on their way to test..am curious how they will improve my 337 even better.. Oh yeah..the 337 is considered to pair very well with the he500 and the hd650 and so is the lafigaro 339...
I advice u to try one..and i think u will be surprised! VERY surprised! But u need to put right tubes in it! I now have tungsol sj7gt as drivers and svetlana 6as7g as powertubes..a good start i understand tongue.gif

Ps..somehow lcd 3 dindt like my amp..the expensive bugger biggrin.gif but that one sounded wonderrful on a violectric v200! In my eyes a big steal also as its one of the best sounding ss amps i listened to...
Edited by hifimanrookie - 11/22/12 at 1:32pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-500 or Sennheiser HD 650