I'll b getting the dt 990 soon, so I'll able to recommend it more fully soon :D
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 11/18/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 11/18/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 11/18/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-300tagged by System, 11/18/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 11/18/12
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 11/18/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/18/12
- productUltrasone PRO 2500tagged by System, 11/18/12
- productUltrasone PRO 2900tagged by System, 11/18/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best open headphones under $300 Last post on 2/17/13 at 6:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium)... Last post on 9/11/12 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sub $400 headphones Last post on 1/18/13 at 6:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Open backed headphones, $200ish Last post on 1/16/13 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
Headphones with soundstage of ad700 but also bass? - Page 2post #16 of 212/18/13 at 5:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 212/18/13 at 12:28pmQuote:
Depends on the can in question - there's a lot of stereotyping/casttyping that goes on (and not just with Ultrasone), but it really depends on *which* Ultrasone. The 2400 and 2900 are not really recessed imho, the 900 are somewhat recessed - the "cast-type" is that the 2900 are a huge V, and the 900 have no mids and only produce 20-200hz and nothing else, but honestly it's a lot of hyperbole.post #18 of 212/18/13 at 2:38pmQuote:
BUT if it's on the interwebs it must be TRUE
But yea... I think the Pro 900 is only worth buying to produce those frequancies xD. Still I'm TRYING HARD. TO get a used dt 990 pro... I might break dwn and buy it new since I REALLY FREAKING want one... and tube amps solve ur lack of mid issues [at least with smexy byer cans ;3]post #19 of 212/19/13 at 1:08amQuote:Originally Posted by obobskivich
Depends on the can in question - there's a lot of stereotyping/casttyping that goes on (and not just with Ultrasone), but it really depends on *which* Ultrasone. The 2400 and 2900 are not really recessed imho, the 900 are somewhat recessed - the "cast-type" is that the 2900 are a huge V, and the 900 have no mids and only produce 20-200hz and nothing else, but honestly it's a lot of hyperbole.
And that's why I prefer to have ears-on experience.
The HE-400 has been type-cast before as having a significant V, but it honestly didn't sound like that to me. The vocals weren't completely shoved into the background like some cans tend to do. The different pads might have something to do with it; my audition was with velours.
Then there's the supposed Sennheiser "veil", Stax (and 'stats in general) having "no bass", Grados having "fake detail through exaggerated treble", so on and so forth. Blanket brand statements don't really work due to the variances between models; I certainly wouldn't expect an AD700 and M50 to sound even remotely alike just because they're both Audio-Technica offerings. All we can really do is discuss headphones on an individual basis. (And even that gets complicated if the headphone model in question gets very different revisions masquerading as the same headphone...)
On top of this, we have to consider the poster's biases. People prefer different things, and what's acceptable to them may not be acceptable to others. This takes some further research, but can reveal a lot between the lines, like how someone is naturally going to recommend headphones in line with their desired presentation, regardless if their expectations match those asking for recommendations in the first place. Just knowing if a given poster's tastes match up with yours or not can make all the difference. (That makes things very hard for me, since I've found that I like a midrange that puts vocals front and center with nothing unnatural-sounding over them, but a lot of other people crave bass and treble more than anything. Finding a headphone that can strike a balance between them without EQ, and especially without being prohibitively expensive, is very difficult.)
Edited by NamelessPFG - 2/19/13 at 1:10ampost #20 of 214/9/13 at 9:04pmpost #21 of 214/9/13 at 9:41pm
- Headphones with soundstage of ad700 but also bass?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Bob Dylan albums - Itunes vs. everything else. 36 seconds ago
- › WTB - Toxic cable silver or every other solid silver cable for... 1 minute ago
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 3 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U1 vs. NAD VISO HP50 4 minutes ago
- › $40-$80 headphones / BeyerDyanmic 501p vs JVC HA-S600 5 minutes ago
- › Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Anedio D2 DAC release 5 minutes ago
- › Ranking of 21 DACs and DAC Configurations (and why chocolate ice... 8 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude