or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread - Page 56

post #826 of 863

The UERM is a great choice (yes, I've heard it). You can read purrin's account of his tour of the UE CIEM lab elsewhere on head-fi.

 

You are right to think about factors other than people subjective take on the sound. Frankly, when it comes to CIEMs, one is very well advised to buy from a trusted source like UE over a newer CIEM company which may be hyped but whose products are either harder to get, much harder to service or offer poorer service.

post #827 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

The UERM is a great choice (yes, I've heard it). You can read purrin's account of his tour of the UE CIEM lab elsewhere on head-fi.

 

You are right to think about factors other than people subjective take on the sound. Frankly, when it comes to CIEMs, one is very well advised to buy from a trusted source like UE over a newer CIEM company which may be hyped but whose products are either harder to get, much harder to service or offer poorer service.

 

Thanks, I think I will get the UERM. I was all set to buy it right up until I read about this CR4. But I think it's too risky.

Seeing as you've heard the UERM, what do you think of the bass extension? I'm not a bass head, but it would be nice if it stayed pretty consistent to at least 30-60hz before rolling off.

 

I'll be favoring revealing accuracy and flat response over bass extension however.

post #828 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDoctor View Post

 

Thanks, I think I will get the UERM. I was all set to buy it right up until I read about this CR4. But I think it's too risky.

Seeing as you've heard the UERM, what do you think of the bass extension? I'm not a bass head, but it would be nice if it stayed pretty consistent to at least 30-60hz before rolling off.

 

I'll be favoring revealing accuracy and flat response over bass extension however.

The bass is surprisingly good on the UERM! I wouldn't say there's a ton of sub-bass (I'm used to stage monitors which really reach down there), but I think it will fit your requirements with no problem at all.

post #829 of 863

Hiya

I've never heard the UERMs so cannot comment.

Let us know how you get on.

Ta

post #830 of 863
I surely will.
post #831 of 863

You won't go wrong with the UERM if you intend to use it for mixing/monitoring/critical listening. The C4 failed badly for me in that regard.

 

For music listening, that is more subjective.

post #832 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

You won't go wrong with the UERM if you intend to use it for mixing/monitoring/critical listening. The C4 failed badly for me in that regard.

 

For music listening, that is more subjective.

 

At the risk of taking this thread off-topic, what other custom in-ears are good for this (in the sub $1k class)? I'm definitely not going to keep my C4s in the long run...

Was thinking of the UM Miracles meself.

post #833 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyChewingGum View Post

 

The SQ though, is NOT neutral, nor transparent, nor analytical. They are perfectly serviceable CIEM's, but are definitely more 'headphones' than 'monitors'. Big bass hump in the 100Hz-200Hz range, rolled off top top end (>10kHz) and generally a rather cloudy, ever so slightly muffled sound. Hmm.

 

For other potential customers, I feel I should warn ya: these are enjoyable and engaging 'phones, but if you're looking for a flat, lean sound, you should probably look elsewhere.

 

Finally, an honest review (not that I have read the entire thread).

post #834 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Finally, an honest review (not that I have read the entire thread).

 

I've actually been wondering whether maybe there has been a great deal of inconsistency in sound quality with the Frogbeats products (namely the C4).

Some very respected reviewers (one is even a mastering engineer of many years) absolutely loved it, and thought of it as clean and transparent with impressive extension in both the high and low end.

 

Other reviews say almost the complete opposite. Either everyone is having a SEVERELY different subjective experience... OR each C4 is not identical to the next.

Perhaps the custom moulding process isn't perfect? Perhaps quality control isn't so great with this "startup company"?

 

Either way, it makes the purchase way too risky for me, especially as a critical listening/reference CIEM.

It's a real shame though, because if it's just a matter of quality control, there's a chance I would get a superior product to the UERM. But also a chance I'll be sorely disappointed.

 

I haven't looked into the UE Miracle! I will do some reading about it.

post #835 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyChewingGum View Post

At the risk of taking this thread off-topic, what other custom in-ears are good for this (in the sub $1k class)? I'm definitely not going to keep my C4s in the long run...

Was thinking of the UM Miracles meself.

 

The UERM is still the industry benchmark for the purpose of mixing/monitoring. 

 

The other CIEM I am willing to place my money on is the JH13 Freqphase (it should go sub $1k during black friday sales I guess).

post #836 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

The UERM is still the industry benchmark for the purpose of mixing/monitoring. 

The other CIEM I am willing to place my money on is the JH13 Freqphase (it should go sub $1k during black friday sales I guess).

Have you heard the jh13fp? If not, then why say that?

I haven't heard it and I'm wary of hype making an earphone into all things for all people. The jh13 began as a stage monitor, although I have heard some stage musicians have found it too bright for stage use (which has different sonic requirements than an at-home audiophile). Reviews from innerfidelity report that it's more bright now with fp and has improved for audiophiles. I'm not sure how it would be for mixing, but it seems odd to recommend it for that given that's not it's original design. Again, I haven't heard it, so I'm just interested in why you are recommending it for studio monitoring given the reasoning above.
post #837 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

The UERM is still the industry benchmark for the purpose of mixing/monitoring. 

The other CIEM I am willing to place my money on is the JH13 Freqphase (it should go sub $1k during black friday sales I guess).

The JH-13 is the first IEM I was set on, but without hearing it myself I scoured the internet for objective test results and frequency response curves with no luck. I was all but certain it would be a very pleasurable iem to listen to.

I couldn't find enough evidence to suggest it would be good for mixing and critical listening.

Then along came the uerm.
post #838 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyChewingGum View Post

At the risk of taking this thread off-topic, what other custom in-ears are good for this (in the sub $1k class)? I'm definitely not going to keep my C4s in the long run...
Was thinking of the UM Miracles meself.

I never realised, but I live 10 minutes away from unique melody... I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

Great now many more hours of research commences!

Any engineers here using them?
post #839 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post


Have you heard the jh13fp? If not, then why say that?

I haven't heard it and I'm wary of hype making an earphone into all things for all people. The jh13 began as a stage monitor, although I have heard some stage musicians have found it too bright for stage use (which has different sonic requirements than an at-home audiophile). Reviews from innerfidelity report that it's more bright now with fp and has improved for audiophiles. I'm not sure how it would be for mixing, but it seems odd to recommend it for that given that's not it's original design. Again, I haven't heard it, so I'm just interested in why you are recommending it for studio monitoring given the reasoning above.

 

Hmm I have only heard the universal demo unit and I know that is not that accurate.

 

I can see no other than the UERM for monitoring but if one has to really strike out the UERM, I can only think of the JH13 as the next in line. 

 

Maybe there are other CIEMs beyond my knowledge that can do the job well.

post #840 of 863

I have the JH13Pro FP.. it isn't 'dead neutral.'  It's a unique phone in that it's very transparent.. yet it's got a slightly warm character.. and there is a lift in the bass frequencies (however, the tuning there is quite linear).  I sense the UERM would be better suited for mixing/mastering if accuracy is paramount.  I prefer neutral or neutral-ish phones (those with a gentle, "artful" deviation from a "totally neutral" signature).. and the JH13 is simply terrific in this regard.. it isn't wildly colored (and I don't find the treble bright or fatiguing in the slightest) though it's gently accentuated in a few places.  I may send mine to Rin to get measured, so prospective buyers have some idea of the tuning... I, too, was surprised by how hard it was to come across measurements for the JH13.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread